    indicate the actual burning speed, but i would like to burn these at 2 hour
    compression)

    so how does these 2 methods equate?

    JethroUK©, Apr 12, 2004

  2. JethroUK©

    Mike G Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:06:56 +0100, "JethroUK©" <>
    wrote:

    >how does '4x' relate to DVD recorders?

    Basically, it doesn't - it's only relevant if you have a PC DVD
    writer.

    With a standalone DVD recorder, you're recording video in real time,
    so you never need to burn outside the normal (1x) speed range.

    >i realise that 4x indicates the disc can be burned at 4 x normal speed (but
    >what's normal in a dvd-r)

    Normal is up to (roughly) 10 megabits per second, which equates to
    about an hour of video per disc.

    >but my dvdr uses 1, 2, 2+, 3, 4, 6 hour recording compression (doesn't
    >indicate the actual burning speed, but i would like to burn these at 2 hour
    >compression)
    >
    >so how does these 2 methods equate?

    1 hour = 1x
    2 hours = 0.5x
    3 hours = 0.33x

    .... you get the idea.

    --
    Mike

    Mike G, Apr 12, 2004

  3. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Mike G" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:06:56 +0100, "JethroUK©" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >how does '4x' relate to DVD recorders?

    > Basically, it doesn't - it's only relevant if you have a PC DVD
    > writer.
    >
    > With a standalone DVD recorder, you're recording video in real time,
    > so you never need to burn outside the normal (1x) speed range.
    >
    > >i realise that 4x indicates the disc can be burned at 4 x normal speed

    (but
    > >what's normal in a dvd-r)

    > Normal is up to (roughly) 10 megabits per second, which equates to
    > about an hour of video per disc.
    >
    > >but my dvdr uses 1, 2, 2+, 3, 4, 6 hour recording compression (doesn't
    > >indicate the actual burning speed, but i would like to burn these at 2

    hour
    > >compression)
    > >
    > >so how does these 2 methods equate?

    > 1 hour = 1x