    I want to buy a 4MP Digital Camera with basic good features and < $400.
    Any recommandations?

    --Jaya
    Jaya Gopalan, Sep 15, 2004

  2. "Jaya Gopalan" <> wrote in message
    news:1095203969.446056@sj-nntpcache-3...
    > Hi,
    > I want to buy a 4MP Digital Camera with basic good features and < $400.
    > Any recommandations?

    The answer to your question would to some extent depend on such things as:
    do you want compactness or a long zoom? Any preferences for type of storage?

    At any rate, some recommendations:

    The Kodak DX6490 recently went down to $400 in price. It is pretty compact
    yet has many of the photograher's options (ability to control
    aperture-shutter speed and hook up an external flash) although I don't know
    if it would be of the "prosumer" grade with cameras such as the Olympus
    C-5060, Sony DSC-F717 or Nikon Coolpix 5700. It also has a 10x
    zoom--optical, not digital--a big 2.2" LCD screen, and a good-quality lens
    I'm told.

    Also consider the Canon Powershot G3 if you can find it, although it has
    been discontinued. It has either a 3x or 4x zoom, can't remember, but it is
    what you'd call a "prosumer" camera--a camera that can be used for
    "hobbyist" usage as well as point & shoot material.

    The Konica/Minolta DImage Z2 has a 10x zoom and is priced at or near the
    $400 range and seems to be recommended at least for point & shoot material.

    The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 is highly recommended and even has a 12x zoom.
    However it is a 3 megapixel not 4.

    All of these--except the Powershot G3--has SLR-looking bodies, a big grip on
    the left-hand side (front-view) and are not pocketable, although they are
    not monsters either. If you prefer a more "flatish" body, consider the Canon
    Powershot G3 (though it does have a good grip), Canon Powershot A70 (if you
    can find it; it's discontinued), Nikon Coolpix 4200, Nikon Coolpix 4300, a
    Sony DSC-V1 if you can find one (just discontinued). The Sony & Canon G3 are
    more of a "prosumer" model, the other more "everyday" material. The Canon
    Powershot S50 is sort of a "prosumer" model which is very pocketable, just
    discontinued; not sure if you can find it for $400 though.

    Those are just SOME recommendations. By all means, check around for others.
    DPreview.Com is a good start.

    LRH
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Jaya Gopalan

    ed Guest

    "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message
    > "Jaya Gopalan" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I want to buy a 4MP Digital Camera with basic good features and <

    $400.
    > > Any recommandations?
    > >

    > The answer to your question would to some extent depend on such things as:
    > do you want compactness or a long zoom? Any preferences for type of

    storage?

    > At any rate, some recommendations:
    >
    > The Kodak DX6490 recently went down to $400 in price. It is pretty compact
    > yet has many of the photograher's options (ability to control
    > aperture-shutter speed and hook up an external flash) although I don't

    know
    > if it would be of the "prosumer" grade with cameras such as the Olympus
    > C-5060, Sony DSC-F717 or Nikon Coolpix 5700. It also has a 10x
    > zoom--optical, not digital--a big 2.2" LCD screen, and a good-quality lens
    > I'm told.
    >
    > Also consider the Canon Powershot G3 if you can find it, although it has
    > been discontinued. It has either a 3x or 4x zoom, can't remember, but it

    is
    > what you'd call a "prosumer" camera--a camera that can be used for
    > "hobbyist" usage as well as point & shoot material.
    >
    > The Konica/Minolta DImage Z2 has a 10x zoom and is priced at or near the
    > $400 range and seems to be recommended at least for point & shoot

    material.

    > The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 is highly recommended and even has a 12x zoom.
    > However it is a 3 megapixel not 4.
    >
    > All of these--except the Powershot G3--has SLR-looking bodies, a big grip

    on
    > the left-hand side (front-view) and are not pocketable, although they are
    > not monsters either. If you prefer a more "flatish" body, consider the

    Canon
    > Powershot G3 (though it does have a good grip), Canon Powershot A70 (if

    you
    > can find it; it's discontinued), Nikon Coolpix 4200, Nikon Coolpix 4300, a
    > Sony DSC-V1 if you can find one (just discontinued). The Sony & Canon G3

    are
    > more of a "prosumer" model, the other more "everyday" material. The Canon
    > Powershot S50 is sort of a "prosumer" model which is very pocketable, just
    > discontinued; not sure if you can find it for $400 though.
    >
    > Those are just SOME recommendations. By all means, check around for

    others.
    > DPreview.Com is a good start.
    >
    > LRH

    Larry's comments are excellent

    I'd pick the G3 over any of the others, any day

    But do your own homework like on dpreview
    ed, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Jaya Gopalan

    Jaya Gopalan Guest

    Thanks Larry for great suggestions. I looked steve's website, dpreview and
    also imaging-resource.com for comments and decided on Canon Poweshot Digital
    ELPH S41.
    I'm an amateur and want a good digicam for shooting pics during travel and
    get-togethers.

    Feedback/suggestion on Canon S41 welcome.

    --Jaya

    Jaya Gopalan, Sep 15, 2004