    cheap 4Gb card I use in my PDA where speed is not so critical.

    Thanks

    Brian

    briwy, Jan 13, 2007

  2. briwy

    Bill Guest

    "briwy" <> wrote in message
    news:385qh.459664$...
    >I have just got a new 10M pixel camera and am looking for a fast 4Gb SD
    >card.
    >
    > Sandisk Extreme 3 and the Panasonic ones seem to have good test bench
    > write ups but I wondered if anyone can give a good "in the field"
    > recommendation please.
    > Currently using an old 256 card which seems to write a lot faster than
    > the cheap 4Gb card I use in my PDA where speed is not so critical.

    In the camera, a fast card may not make any difference since all images
    are buffered to memory before being written to the card. Unless you take
    quick bursts of shots, you will never notice the difference "in the
    field".

    Having said that, I've noticed that using a 2gig Extreme III SD card in
    my Nikon D80 recovers from bursts somewhat faster than an Ultra II
    256meg card I've used from a friends P&S. The write speed of the D80 is
    about 9MB/sec according to tests I've read with the Extreme III cards
    (it might be even faster if Sandisk makes an Extreme IV SD card). I also
    notice it's about twice as fast as my Ultra II cards were in a card
    reader, so I'd say the tests are accurate. See Rob Galbraiths tests
    here:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    Use the drop down link at the top right to select from several Canon and
    Nikon models.

    Bill, Jan 13, 2007

  3. briwy

    briwy Guest