    the MuVo2 have the drive soldered in. If not, though, this is a terrific
    bargain.

    dpreview.com has had discussion about how to remove the drive.

    PTRAVEL, Jan 27, 2004

  2. PTRAVEL

    Frank ess Guest

    PTRAVEL wrote:
    > There has already been discussion about removing the drive from a
    > Creative MuVo2 MP3 player and using it in digital cameras. Creative
    > has just announced a price drop -- soon to be only $199.
    >
    > Note: there has been some concern expressed about whether later
    > versions of the MuVo2 have the drive soldered in. If not, though,
    > this is a terrific bargain.
    >
    > dpreview.com has had discussion about how to remove the drive.

    Meantime, look what Samy's is selling under "Standalone Storage":
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W52C45637

    No solder probems I can see . . .

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 27, 2004

  3. PTRAVEL

    DavidG Guest

    Run away from this drive

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message news:<sDCRb.20673$>...

    > Meantime, look what Samy's is selling under "Standalone Storage":
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?W52C45637
    >
    > No solder probems I can see . . .
    >
    > Frank ess

    The Transcend 2.2GB drive is a rebadged Magicstor drive. These bear no
    relationship to the IBM/Hitachi drives, which have several years of
    experience behind their engineering and several years of reliability
    data at this point. Plus, the 2GB and 4GB Hitachi drives have been
    recently redesigned for even greater reliability, by relocating the
    drive head to the side away from where fingers pinch the unit when the
    card is removed from a camera.

    In contrast, the Magicstor drives are produced by a new operation
    (they didn't even have a drive factory until this past summer) and
    users are having problems all over the place. This is, in part, due to
    very high current draw during the write cycle, exceeding the spec of
    most camera. I recommend staying away from them.

    David

    DavidG, Jan 28, 2004
  4. PTRAVEL

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Re: Run away from this drive

    DavidG wrote:

    > In contrast, the Magicstor drives are produced by a new operation
    > (they didn't even have a drive factory until this past summer) and
    > users are having problems all over the place. This is, in part, due to
    > very high current draw during the write cycle, exceeding the spec of
    > most camera. I recommend staying away from them.

    Oh well, you get what you pay for...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 28, 2004