    Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
    Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? SD_CARD
    Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.
    Edward, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Edward

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 14 Dec 2006 05:18:10 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Edward"
    <> wrote:

    >WIndows said it can't complete the format, so I tried DOS and this is
    >what I get.
    >
    >C:\>format h: /u /fs:fat32
    >Insert new disk for drive H:
    >and press ENTER when ready...
    >The type of the file system is RAW.
    >The new file system is FAT32.
    >Verifying 969M
    >Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
    >Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? SD_CARD
    >Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

    What happens when you try to format in the camera itself? Many folks
    feel it's always best . BTW, I'm suspicious of the Verifying 969M"
    message. Also are you sure you're card reader is compatible with
    media larger than 2GB?
    -
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf, Dec 14, 2006

  3. Edward

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/14/06 7:26 AM, in article ,
    "Ed Ruf >" <"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <>
    wrote:

    > On 14 Dec 2006 05:18:10 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Edward"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> WIndows said it can't complete the format, so I tried DOS and this is
    >> what I get.
    >>
    >> C:\>format h: /u /fs:fat32
    >> Insert new disk for drive H:
    >> and press ENTER when ready...
    >> The type of the file system is RAW.
    >> The new file system is FAT32.
    >> Verifying 969M
    >> Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
    >> Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? SD_CARD
    >> Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

    > What happens when you try to format in the camera itself? Many folks
    > feel it's always best . BTW, I'm suspicious of the Verifying 969M"
    > message. Also are you sure you're card reader is compatible with
    > media larger than 2GB?
    > -
    > Ed Ruf ()
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
    They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
    format the card.

    George Kerby, Dec 14, 2006
  4. Edward

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:44:45 -0600, in rec.photo.digital George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    >Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
    >They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
    >format the card.

    See http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197503
    for some of the issues that appear to be at the root of things. As I
    have no SD cards bigger then 1GB and no need to go larger I've not
    been totally paying attention to all the "ruckus"
    -
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf, Dec 14, 2006
  5. Edward

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/14/06 11:57 AM, in article ,
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:44:45 -0600, in rec.photo.digital George Kerby
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
    >> They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
    >> format the card.

    > See http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197503
    > for some of the issues that appear to be at the root of things. As I
    > have no SD cards bigger then 1GB and no need to go larger I've not
    > been totally paying attention to all the "ruckus"
    > -
    > Ed Ruf ()
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    Thanks Ed, a very interesting read.

    George Kerby, Dec 14, 2006
  6. Edward

    Edward Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:44:45 -0600, in rec.photo.digital George Kerby
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
    > >They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
    > >format the card.

    > See http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197503
    > for some of the issues that appear to be at the root of things. As I
    > have no SD cards bigger then 1GB and no need to go larger I've not
    > been totally paying attention to all the "ruckus"
    > -
    > Ed Ruf ()
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    I was able to format it in my Firewire card reader, but my USB.
    This card has a date with ebay...
    Edward, Dec 14, 2006
  7. Edward

    John Bean Guest

    On 14 Dec 2006 11:53:01 -0800, "Edward"
    <> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf wrote:
    >> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:44:45 -0600, in rec.photo.digital George Kerby
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
    >> >They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
    >> >format the card.

    >> See http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197503
    >> for some of the issues that appear to be at the root of things. As I
    >> have no SD cards bigger then 1GB and no need to go larger I've not
    >> been totally paying attention to all the "ruckus"
    >> -
    >> Ed Ruf ()
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    >I was able to format it in my Firewire card reader, but my USB.
    >This card has a date with ebay...

    I'd assume then that the problem lies in your USB reader
    rather than the card.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Dec 14, 2006
  8. Edward

    iws Guest

    "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > WIndows said it can't complete the format, so I tried DOS and this is
    > what I get.
    >
    > C:\>format h: /u /fs:fat32
    > Insert new disk for drive H:
    > and press ENTER when ready...
    > The type of the file system is RAW.
    > The new file system is FAT32.
    > Verifying 969M
    > Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
    > Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? SD_CARD
    > Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

    Many card readers can't format those large cards and the cards are not
    compatible with all cameras. My Canon A620 has no problem with a couple of 4
    GB cards I've tried and Transcend has an inexpensive card reader that works
    fine with them. If your camera can't format them then, then I'd be leery of
    using them. Here's a list - not necessarily complete - of card compatibility
    http://www.patriotmem.com/support/flashCompatp.jsp
    iws, Dec 15, 2006