    also what jumpers to use to acces the 72 pin Simm sockets along with
    any additional info any of you may have.
    Thanks for any help.

    Volksrod, Jan 30, 2006

  2. Volksrod

    km Guest

    On 29 Jan 2006 20:44:42 -0800, "Volksrod" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I hope it's ok to post this question here, if not please advise.
    >I'm trying to Id the mainboard you can see in this photo album
    >http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/volksrod70/album?.dir=/8a69&.src=ph&.tok=phBZDVEB.ffJNTY5
    >I think it is a form of a SIS 471 but I as of yet don;t know for sure.
    >What I would like is to know if either of the CPU's in the photos can
    >be used and how to jumper the mainboard to accept and also BIOS info,
    >also what jumpers to use to acces the 72 pin Simm sockets along with
    >any additional info any of you may have.
    >Thanks for any help.

    Sometimes the Motherboard name can be found in between the ISA slots
    or towards the corners of the board.

    If it boots up the BIOS will produce a number on the first screen
    which can then be used to ID the board. See wimbios web site (below).

    The board says Socket 3 CPU. I am reasonably sure that the 2 CPUs in
    the photo are also Socket 3 but you can check this by looking for web
    sites that ID AMD CPUs using the info stenciled on the facing plate.

    http://www.cpushack.net/SocketID.html
    http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

    The question of jumper settings is more difficult. On some boards you
    can see guidance information printed near the jumpers but the Manual
    will be more of a benefit. If you can ID the board there are plenty of
    sites which allow download of manuals - some luck needed here. Also
    you may be lucky and find that the board is jumperless (can't tell
    from the photo).

    Try: http://www.wimsbios.com/

    The memory is easier as all you have to do is insert the memory sticks
    and the system will automatically adjust to accept. So long as they
    are matched sticks and are compatible sizes.

    Having spent many hours in the past resurrecting old systems, just for
    the challenge, I can see the benefit of doing what you are, just for
    the satisfaction. However, as far as performance is concerned, don't
    bother. Parts for new construction are so cheap it is worth putting
    your energies into a new build.

    Good luck.

    KM

    km, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Volksrod

    Volksrod Guest

    You are right, I'm just building the system just for fun, the board is
    loaded with jumpers and I think I need to be concerned abou cpu
    voltages.
    I did try matched simms and the system locked, from what little info
    I've found so far there is a jumper involved.
    I'll follow up on your advice and see what I can learn.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

    Volksrod, Jan 31, 2006