    So does anyone know a cure for that?

    The OS is windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

    Beau: Note the version update. Only took me five years or so.
    richard, Sep 15, 2010

  2. richard wrote:

    > I decided to try out a windows 7 machine and bought an hp pavillion
    > laptop. Nice machine with the amd phenom II processor. Installing
    > 40tude dialog and running it has not been a problem except for one
    > strange thing. I initially added 3 newsgroups then closed out the
    > program. Now when I go to add groups, it won't save the list. I have
    > to add them back every time I open the program. Very annoying.
    >
    > So does anyone know a cure for that?

    Did you follow the recommended advice and install it *outside* the
    Program Files tree?

    > The OS is windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
    >
    > Beau: Note the version update. Only took me five years or so.

    Why not use the .41 or the .84 updated versions?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2010

  3. richard <> wrote in

    > I decided to try out a windows 7 machine and bought an hp
    > pavillion laptop. Nice machine with the amd phenom II processor.
    > Installing 40tude dialog and running it has not been a problem
    > except for one strange thing. I initially added 3 newsgroups then
    > closed out the program. Now when I go to add groups, it won't save
    > the list. I have to add them back every time I open the program.
    > Very annoying.
    >
    > So does anyone know a cure for that?
    >
    > The OS is windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
    >
    > Beau: Note the version update. Only took me five years or so.

    You might try also posting this to: news.software.readers

    HTH,
    JW
    John Wunderlich, Sep 15, 2010
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:05:59 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> I decided to try out a windows 7 machine and bought an hp pavillion
    >> laptop. Nice machine with the amd phenom II processor. Installing
    >> 40tude dialog and running it has not been a problem except for one
    >> strange thing. I initially added 3 newsgroups then closed out the
    >> program. Now when I go to add groups, it won't save the list. I have
    >> to add them back every time I open the program. Very annoying.
    >>
    >> So does anyone know a cure for that?

    > Did you follow the recommended advice and install it *outside* the
    > Program Files tree?

    That seemed to do the trick for keeping the groups.

    >> The OS is windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
    >>
    >> Beau: Note the version update. Only took me five years or so.

    > Why not use the .41 or the .84 updated versions?

    From where would these be obtained? I only get a link to the one beta
    version on the download page.
    richard, Sep 15, 2010
  5. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > I decided to try out a windows 7 machine and bought an hp pavillion
    > laptop. Nice machine with the amd phenom II processor.
    > Installing 40tude dialog and running it has not been a problem except
    > for one strange thing. I initially added 3 newsgroups then closed out
    > the program. Now when I go to add groups, it won't save the list. I
    > have to add them back every time I open the program. Very annoying.
    >
    > So does anyone know a cure for that?
    >
    > The OS is windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
    >
    > Beau: Note the version update. Only took me five years or so.

    What's the server are you using for usenet?

    What groups *do* you get?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 15, 2010
  6. richard wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Beau: Note the version update. Only took me five years or so.

    >> Why not use the .41 or the .84 updated versions?

    > From where would these be obtained? I only get a link to the one beta
    > version on the download page.

    Posted many times, in n.s.r.
    http://dialog.datalist.org/downloads/download.html

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2010
  7. chucktard wrote:

    > Just as a warning: If you do this to a computer, it will cease to be
    > able to find any drivers when it needs them, even those installed
    > properly.

    So why would you give that as advice?!? <sheesh>

    "Here's a Glock. Shoot your computer."

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2010
  8. richard

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:26:58 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >chucktard wrote:
    >
    >> Just as a warning: If you do this to a computer, it will cease to be
    >> able to find any drivers when it needs them, even those installed
    >> properly.

    >So why would you give that as advice?!? <sheesh>
    >
    >"Here's a Glock. Shoot your computer."

    He must sit up nights, thinking of stupid stuff to post.
    joevan, Sep 16, 2010
  9. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    The Old Sourdough <> wrote in

    > chuckcar mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> richard <> wrote in

    >>> I decided to try out a windows 7 machine and bought an hp pavillion
    >>> laptop. Nice machine with the amd phenom II processor.
    >>> Installing 40tude dialog and running it has not been a problem except
    >>> for one strange thing. I initially added 3 newsgroups then closed out
    >>> the program. Now when I go to add groups, it won't save the list. I
    >>> have to add them back every time I open the program. Very annoying.
    >>>

    >> Just as a warning: If you do this to a computer, it will cease to be
    >> able to find any drivers when it needs them, even those installed
    >> properly.

    > Gosh, really? I just did that to my computer, and it still works
    > just fine... Of course, maybe that's because I dont HAVE any
    > .inf files on it.....

    You also don't have a c:\windows\inf directory, so you couldn't have.

    That is if I understand what you're implying that is. Namely that you
    don't even have a drive c. To put it in yet another way.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 16, 2010
  10. richard