40D GETS A HUMMER!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, May 1, 2008.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, May 1, 2008

  2. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On Apr 30, 9:20 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > After months and months of a long dry spell, I guess I don't have to
    > tell you how good it feels to get your first hummer of the year!

    Congrats!! What a joy it must have been!
    She looks like an angel the way you captured that moment in time. I
    can really feel a sense of movement looking at those wings. I know
    how hard it is to shoot these fast moving birds, so I commend you for
    an excellent job! Lovely detail in the feathers.
    Helen

    Helen, May 1, 2008

  3. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:50:34 -0700 (PDT), Helen
    <> wrote:

    >On Apr 30, 9:20 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    >> After months and months of a long dry spell, I guess I don't have to
    >> tell you how good it feels to get your first hummer of the year!
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/96400717/original

    >Congrats!! What a joy it must have been!
    >She looks like an angel the way you captured that moment in time. I
    >can really feel a sense of movement looking at those wings. I know
    >how hard it is to shoot these fast moving birds, so I commend you for
    >an excellent job! Lovely detail in the feathers.
    >Helen

    Two things are as sure as death and taxes: 1) If Bret links to a
    photo, it'll be good. 2) If Bret links to a photo, Helen will follow
    with one of her gushing, better-than-a-spoon to make you gag posts.

    It's nice to have one's personal claque, but I would think a
    restraining order is called for.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 1, 2008
  4. Annika1980

    Alienjones Guest

    Alienjones, May 1, 2008
  5. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Apr 30, 11:45 pm, Alienjones <> wrote:

    >Steal some of mine if you *must* have good photos.

    When you post a good photo, I will. I'm still waiting.

    Perhaps you can link us to your series of hummingbird shots ... I must
    have missed those. I'd like to see how a true Master (baiter) does
    it.

    BTW, that one was handheld, 1/100 @ 400mm with no IS. Plus, it was
    late evening with little light. Don't try that at home.

    Annika1980, May 1, 2008
  6. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On May 1, 7:42 am, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    >  There are times when Bret, I mean "Helen, sock
    > of Bret" has posted a gusher and it reached the news servers minutes before
    > Bret's plastic art has ever been seen.

    Give just one example, liar.

    Annika1980, May 1, 2008
  7. Annika1980

    Draco Guest

    On Apr 30, 9:20 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > After months and months of a long dry spell, I guess I don't have to
    > tell you how good it feels to get your first hummer of the year!

    Nicely done. The (looks to me) rear curtain flash sync did a great job
    of showing the motion and speed of the wings. The catch light in the
    eye really brings the hummer to life. Detail in the breast and tail
    feathers are quite sharp and well defined. Though most of the colors
    are on the back of the hummer, you can get a feeling of the emerald
    green along the edging of the wings.

    Keep it going. You are one of the few folk who still amaze me with
    their images.

    Draco

    Draco, May 1, 2008
  8. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On Apr 30, 11:29 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:50:34 -0700 (PDT), Helen
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On Apr 30, 9:20 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > >> After months and months of a long dry spell, I guess I don't have to
    > >> tell you how good it feels to get your first hummer of the year!

    > >>http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/96400717/original

    > >Congrats!!  What a joy it must have been!
    > >She looks like an angel the way you captured that moment in time.  I
    > >can really feel a sense of movement looking at those wings.  I know
    > >how hard it is to shoot these fast moving birds, so I commend you for
    > >an excellent job!  Lovely detail in the feathers.
    > >Helen

    > Two things are as sure as death and taxes:  1) If Bret links to a
    > photo, it'll be good.  2) If Bret links to a photo, Helen will follow
    > with one of her gushing, better-than-a-spoon to make you gag posts.
    >
    > It's nice to have one's personal claque, but I would think a
    > restraining order is called for.
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    The definition of a "claque" is a group of persons hired to applaud an
    act or performer.
    Since I do not get paid nor am I asked to give such "gushing"
    critique, I'd say you're dead wrong with your assumption.
    FYI I give critique from the heart. It's honest. If it makes you
    gag, so be it. Don't read what I say or better yet killfile me.
    FWIW, I am merely a drop in the bucket of fans that Bret has. I am no
    more special than them.
    Helen

    Helen, May 1, 2008
  9. Annika1980

    Noons Guest

    On May 1, 9:42 pm, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:

    > It's called sock puppetry. There are times when Bret, I mean "Helen, sock
    > of Bret" has posted a gusher and it reached the news servers minutes before
    > Bret's plastic art has ever been seen. I haven't decided what's worse, the
    > gush or the time he had a back woods **** PAW and posted as "Helen" from his
    > Tennessee account. It's all fun but sad at the same time.

    ROFL!

    > Stamping out Internet stupidity one idiot at a time. Never empower the
    > idiot, embrace it and stimulate it. For more details go to the Usenet
    > Stimulus Project page.
    >
    > http://ritaberk.myhosting247.com

    ROFLMAO!

    Precious

    Noons, May 1, 2008
  10. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 06:10:24 -0700 (PDT), Helen
    <> wrote:

    >On Apr 30, 11:29 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:50:34 -0700 (PDT), Helen
    >>
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Congrats!!  What a joy it must have been!
    >> >She looks like an angel the way you captured that moment in time.  I
    >> >can really feel a sense of movement looking at those wings.  I know
    >> >how hard it is to shoot these fast moving birds, so I commend you for
    >> >an excellent job!  Lovely detail in the feathers.
    >> >Helen

    >> Two things are as sure as death and taxes:  1) If Bret links to a
    >> photo, it'll be good.  2) If Bret links to a photo, Helen will follow
    >> with one of her gushing, better-than-a-spoon to make you gag posts.
    >>
    >> It's nice to have one's personal claque, but I would think a
    >> restraining order is called for.
    >> --
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    >The definition of a "claque" is a group of persons hired to applaud an
    >act or performer.

    I know exactly what a "claque" is, Helen.

    >Since I do not get paid nor am I asked to give such "gushing"
    >critique, I'd say you're dead wrong with your assumption.

    So you say.

    >FYI I give critique from the heart. It's honest. If it makes you
    >gag, so be it. Don't read what I say or better yet killfile me.
    >FWIW, I am merely a drop in the bucket of fans that Bret has. I am no
    >more special than them.

    Bret's stuff is good enough that he doesn't need to hire or persuade
    anyone to follow his posts with soppy praise. The fact that you
    always turn up to fawn over his latest, though, does hint at something
    a bit beyond normal appreciation of a photo by a disinterested
    outsider. Especially since you don't offer similar critiques of other
    poster's efforts.

    The actual effect of your excessive praise it to think "It wasn't
    *that* good".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 1, 2008
  11. Annika1980

    Noons Guest

    tony cooper wrote,on my timestamp of 1/05/2008 11:38 PM:

    > The actual effect of your excessive praise it to think "It wasn't
    > *that* good".

    nownow,
    you are asking Helen to THINK?

    Noons, May 1, 2008
  12. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    On May 1, 9:38 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 1 May 2008 06:10:24 -0700 (PDT), Helen
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On Apr 30, 11:29 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:

    > >> Two things are as sure as death and taxes:  1) If Bret links to a
    > >> photo, it'll be good.  2) If Bret links to a photo, Helen will follow
    > >> with one of her gushing, better-than-a-spoon to make you gag posts.

    > >> It's nice to have one's personal claque, but I would think a
    > >> restraining order is called for.
    > >> --
    > >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    > >The definition of a "claque" is a group of persons hired to applaud an
    > >act or performer.

    > I know exactly what a "claque" is, Helen.
    >
    > >Since I do not get paid nor am I asked to give such "gushing"
    > >critique, I'd say you're dead wrong with your assumption.

    > So you say.
    >
    > >FYI I give critique from the heart.  It's honest.  If it makes you
    > >gag, so be it.  Don't read what I say or better yet killfile me.
    > >FWIW, I am merely a drop in the bucket of fans that Bret has. I am no
    > >more special than them.

    > Bret's stuff is good enough that he doesn't need to hire or persuade
    > anyone to follow his posts with soppy praise.   The fact that you
    > always turn up to fawn over his latest, though, does hint at something
    > a bit beyond normal appreciation of a photo by a disinterested
    > outsider.  Especially since you don't offer similar critiques of other
    > poster's efforts.
    >
    > The actual effect of your excessive praise it to think "It wasn't
    > *that* good".
    >
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    The only bit of truth in your post is that Bret's work is great. But
    it's your cynicism that destroyed anything honest and beautiful that
    was meant on my part regarding his work.

    Helen, May 1, 2008
  13. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On May 1, 9:38 am, tony cooper <> wrote:

    > Bret's stuff is good enough that he doesn't need to hire or persuade
    > anyone to follow his posts with soppy praise.   The fact that you
    > always turn up to fawn over his latest, though, does hint at something
    > a bit beyond normal appreciation of a photo by a disinterested
    > outsider.  Especially since you don't offer similar critiques of other
    > poster's efforts.
    >
    > The actual effect of your excessive praise it to think "It wasn't
    > *that* good".

    Helen has often asked me if I thought she should let up on the gushing
    praise of my pics. She is always worried about doing anything that
    would hurt me. I always tell her to post whatever she wants and don't
    worry about what others think. So if Helen gets satisfaction in
    making her posts then who am I to argue? Maybe someday I'll post one
    and she'll say, "That one really sucks!"
    I would think no less of her if she did. I like to feel that I can
    take any valid critique from anyone.
    That's how we learn, ya know.

    Annika1980, May 1, 2008
  14. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Why are you posting here, Noons? Go back and **** off aus.photo.

    Annika1980, May 1, 2008
  15. Annika1980

    bob Guest

    I dont care what others think I do like Brets photographs. There is more
    honesty in Brets work .. far more than the Ritas D3 blah balh .. which is
    very questionable.. I dont even beleive the crap Rita puts up . of course
    Rita will respond .. do I care ..NO

    Bret thanks and Helen keep the coments they are all honest .:)

    bob, May 1, 2008
  16. Annika1980

    m II Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:

    > I like to feel that I can
    > take any valid critique from anyone.

    You are also quite good at taking valid photographs from anyone, you
    cross dressing pervert.

    Steal any Manger scenes lately?

    mike

    m II, May 1, 2008
  17. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 08:05:17 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
    <> wrote:

    >On May 1, 9:38 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Bret's stuff is good enough that he doesn't need to hire or persuade
    >> anyone to follow his posts with soppy praise.   The fact that you
    >> always turn up to fawn over his latest, though, does hint at something
    >> a bit beyond normal appreciation of a photo by a disinterested
    >> outsider.  Especially since you don't offer similar critiques of other
    >> poster's efforts.
    >>
    >> The actual effect of your excessive praise it to think "It wasn't
    >> *that* good".
    >>

    >Helen has often asked me if I thought she should let up on the gushing
    >praise of my pics. She is always worried about doing anything that
    >would hurt me.

    You have to be bullet-proof to post links here. Look at Rita, for
    example. She links to some good shots and some mediocre shots, but
    she obviously continues to enjoy the art of photography. Isn't that
    what it's all about?

    Helen, and the detractors of Rita, are in the same boat, but opposite
    ends of the boat. Helen's gushing does you no service because she's
    so over-the-top that it detracts from your work. Rita's boo-birds do
    the same thing, but the effect is to give her credit because many of
    her efforts are much better than the criticism she gets.

    Anyone who doesn't see that Rita's playing games with the Canon/Nikon
    comments doesn't have sense enough to find the shutter release on an
    Instamatic. It's her entertainment, and she's obviously bright enough
    to know that the differences between Canon and Nikon are mostly
    personal preference. She's just pulling legs and causing knees to
    jerk.

    I scan the group for links and look at the images. I enjoy seeing
    other people's work. Landscapes usually leave me unimpressed. Yeah,
    you photographed a mountain. So what? Damn thing didn't move so all
    you had to do was keep snapping. When the scene has a unique aspect,
    it's different. Someone, perhaps you, linked to one with fog or mist
    that made the image something more impressive. The eye caught it and
    said that the camera should record it. It was good because the eye
    saw something.

    What really impresses me is when someone photographs an object or
    scene that the average photographer would not recognize as something
    worth capturing. The guy who photographs abandoned buildings in the
    Netherlands (?) is good at this. Someone linked to a bicycle tire on
    a red background that was a great job of composition.

    Hummingbirds, OK. It takes skill and luck to capture one on film.
    (Or an SD card) Some other bird shots are great moments, but
    squirrels and dogs and cats and things like that are too commonplace
    and easy to shoot to impress me. Show me a shot that you had to work
    at to get, not one where you walked out in the backyard and snapped a
    tree rat.

    Me? I photograph my grandchildren mostly. At three and four they are
    a changing scene every day. I won't link to those images because it
    just doesn't seem right to have strangers looking at them.

    My daughter just did a series in Daytona Beach (FL) shot during Bike
    Week...all shots of the backs of motorcycle jackets. Not one really
    great picture on its own, but the theme was strong and the jackets
    tell a story.

    She also does a lot of flower shots, but they are like mountains to
    me. They just sit there and let you take pictures until you get it
    right. No challenge once you learn to press the button.

    Here's one her flower shots
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/calla.jpg
    It's a save-as of a 533 x 800 .jpg sent to me as an attachment, so
    it's not going to knock anyone out, but I like the look of it.

    What annoys me, though, is the people who look at an image and start
    whining about "bokah", focus points, "soft", etc. The only reaction
    should be "Does this shot please me to look at?".

    I've been to most of the major art museums in this country, and to
    several in Europe. The "masters", the really good stuff, view best
    from several yards back. It's the overall impression that makes them
    "masters". Photographs are much the same, but you view them from a
    shorter distance.

    If the negative comments were attempts at suggestions for improvement,
    that would be OK. However, "the pin feathers are not distinct" offers
    nothing. Anyone who views a photograph with a mental loupe doesn't
    know how to view art in any form. It's not a picture of pinfeathers,
    it's a composition. Take in the whole composition.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 1, 2008
  18. Annika1980

    Matt Ion Guest

    tony cooper wrote:

    > Anyone who doesn't see that Rita's playing games with the Canon/Nikon
    > comments doesn't have sense enough to find the shutter release on an
    > Instamatic. It's her entertainment, and she's obviously bright enough
    > to know that the differences between Canon and Nikon are mostly
    > personal preference. She's just pulling legs and causing knees to
    > jerk.

    Isn't that the dictionary definition of a troll?

    Matt Ion, May 1, 2008
  19. Annika1980

    XxYyZz Guest

    "Alienjones" <> wrote in message

    > Helen wrote:
    > | On Apr 30, 9:20 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > |> After months and months of a long dry spell, I guess I don't have to
    > |> tell you how good it feels to get your first hummer of the year!
    > |>
    > |> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/96400717/original
    > |
    > | Congrats!! What a joy it must have been!
    > | She looks like an angel the way you captured that moment in time. I
    > | can really feel a sense of movement looking at those wings. I know
    > | how hard it is to shoot these fast moving birds, so I commend you for
    > | an excellent job! Lovely detail in the feathers.
    > | Helen
    >
    > What are you on about? These birds hover.

    Yes, but only for a second or two.

    > ~From the lost dynamic range of that less than technically excellent
    > happy snap, it looks like he set the camera up on a tripod with a remote
    > shutter release, highlight preservation on and attracted the poor bird
    > with a honey pot then fired enough flash power at it to damage the poor
    > things eyes for the rest of it's life. And what about the bird's
    > colours? Where are they?

    Damn, you can see all that in Bret's pic but you can't see why this one
    sucks ???

    http://www.douglasjames.com.au/previews/romance.htm

    > Almost as bad as using freeze spray on insects or flash on a newborn
    > baby. Learn some ecologically safe techniques will you? Get a decent
    > camera so you don't need the light up the neighborhood to get the shot.

    What's wrong with flash ? Don't you use it in your wedding shots ?

    > Without over use of flash

    How do you "overuse" flash ?

    and plasticizing the image in Photoshop

    You mean like this one ?

    http://www.douglasjames.com.au/previews/romance.htm

    , it
    > could have been a nice picture. Not even a happy snap for the
    > collection. Steal some of mine if you *must* have good photos. You
    > already have most of them, or so you claim.

    If he wanted good photos yours would be the last one to take !

    XxYyZz, May 1, 2008
  20. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 10:02:14 -0700, Matt Ion <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone who doesn't see that Rita's playing games with the Canon/Nikon
    >> comments doesn't have sense enough to find the shutter release on an
    >> Instamatic. It's her entertainment, and she's obviously bright enough
    >> to know that the differences between Canon and Nikon are mostly
    >> personal preference. She's just pulling legs and causing knees to
    >> jerk.

    >Isn't that the dictionary definition of a troll?

    I'm proud of you for knowing what a dictionary is. Look up "sucker"
    and see if your copy includes "Person who gets their knickers in a
    twist over someone else's form of amusement".

    The objective of a troll is to infuriate suckers and get them to
    respond. Without suckers, trolls fade away. You're doing your part,
    though, to show the plan is working.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 1, 2008