40D and Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Kerby, Oct 17, 2007.

  1. George Kerby

    George Kerby Guest

    This may have been discussed before but I cannot find anything in these two
    groups that I think may be relevant.

    I was appalled to find out that when I updated to Aperture 1.5.4 today, it
    still was incapable of handling Canon's 40D RAW files. Shit, the camera has
    been out for more than six weeks now and both Lightroom and Photoshop have
    upgraded and can handle the RAW files.

    I have quite a number of images I need to process and get on line and this
    is seriously getting out of hand. I know I can do post-processing with PS,
    but I have become accustomed to the way Aperture works.

    Any Mac users out there that have any info?

    And, yes, I have installed OS X 10.4.10.

    Maybe Leopard, or OS X 10.4.11 will handle the 40D files?

    Maybe Aperture 2.0 is around the corner?

    I am hoping for something - ***SOON***!!!!
    George Kerby, Oct 17, 2007

  2. George Kerby

    nospam Guest

    In article <C33BF8A2.3E8FC%>, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    > This may have been discussed before but I cannot find anything in these two
    > groups that I think may be relevant.
    >
    > I was appalled to find out that when I updated to Aperture 1.5.4 today, it
    > still was incapable of handling Canon's 40D RAW files. Shit, the camera has
    > been out for more than six weeks now and both Lightroom and Photoshop have
    > upgraded and can handle the RAW files.

    appalled? i'm sure the 40d is not the only camera for which they are
    adding support. six weeks is not an unreasonable amount of time for
    apple to get several production cameras, implementing raw support for
    them and testing it. apple adds cameras with system updates and 10.4.11
    is due any time now.

    > I have quite a number of images I need to process and get on line and this
    > is seriously getting out of hand. I know I can do post-processing with PS,
    > but I have become accustomed to the way Aperture works.

    use adobe camera raw and photoshop to convert them to a format aperture
    can handle.

    > Maybe Leopard, or OS X 10.4.11 will handle the 40D files?

    it is highly likely, along with many other new cameras too.

    > Maybe Aperture 2.0 is around the corner?

    aperture was launched two years ago at the photo plus expo in new york,
    followed by an update to 1.5 last september and demonstrated at last
    year's expo. apple has a booth at the expo this year (and it starts
    tomorrow), but i suspect they won't be announcing aperture 2.0 so not
    to drown out the launch of leopard the following week.
    nospam, Oct 17, 2007

  3. George Kerby

    stuseven Guest

    On Oct 17, 6:36 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > This may have been discussed before but I cannot find anything in these two
    > groups that I think may be relevant.
    >
    > I was appalled to find out that when I updated to Aperture 1.5.4 today, it
    > still was incapable of handling Canon's 40D RAW files. Shit, the camera has
    > been out for more than six weeks now and both Lightroom and Photoshop have
    > upgraded and can handle the RAW files.
    >
    > I have quite a number of images I need to process and get on line and this
    > is seriously getting out of hand. I know I can do post-processing with PS,
    > but I have become accustomed to the way Aperture works.
    >
    > Any Mac users out there that have any info?
    >
    > And, yes, I have installed OS X 10.4.10.
    >
    > Maybe Leopard, or OS X 10.4.11 will handle the 40D files?
    >
    > Maybe Aperture 2.0 is around the corner?
    >
    > I am hoping for something - ***SOON***!!!!

    + ah... just the person I was hoping to meet !
    While I cant help with your Aperature problem, maybe you can
    help me, by posting a link to one of your RAW images... I cant find
    a single one online, and searched all afternoon today... add to that
    what a great cam the 40D is, and it should make for a terrific test
    image... this is if, of course, you decide to accept the request...
    otherwise, this post will self-destruct in 30 seconds :)

    Ive been wanting to experiment with RAW images, with PS, and
    some of the free programs which can handle raw formats.
    stuseven, Oct 17, 2007
  4. On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:36:34 -0500, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > This may have been discussed before but I cannot find anything in these two
    > groups that I think may be relevant.
    >
    > I was appalled to find out that when I updated to Aperture 1.5.4 today, it
    > still was incapable of handling Canon's 40D RAW files. Shit, the camera has
    > been out for more than six weeks now and both Lightroom and Photoshop have
    > upgraded and can handle the RAW files.
    >
    > I have quite a number of images I need to process and get on line and this
    > is seriously getting out of hand. I know I can do post-processing with PS,
    > but I have become accustomed to the way Aperture works.
    >
    > Any Mac users out there that have any info?

    Use Adobe's DNG converter[1] to convert the 40D RAW files to DNG, and
    then read the DNGs into Aperture[2]. Alternatively, wait until the next
    update of OSX; 10.4.11 is due Real Soon Now, and Leopard will be in the
    stores in about a week or so.

    -dms

    [1] http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3731
    [2] A bit of trickery is needed if the source RAW file isn't something
    that OSX understands:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061025124051903
    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 18, 2007
  5. George Kerby

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/17/07 7:10 PM, in article
    .2wire.net, "Daniel Silevitch"
    <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:36:34 -0500, George Kerby <>
    > wrote:
    >> This may have been discussed before but I cannot find anything in these two
    >> groups that I think may be relevant.
    >>
    >> I was appalled to find out that when I updated to Aperture 1.5.4 today, it
    >> still was incapable of handling Canon's 40D RAW files. Shit, the camera has
    >> been out for more than six weeks now and both Lightroom and Photoshop have
    >> upgraded and can handle the RAW files.
    >>
    >> I have quite a number of images I need to process and get on line and this
    >> is seriously getting out of hand. I know I can do post-processing with PS,
    >> but I have become accustomed to the way Aperture works.
    >>
    >> Any Mac users out there that have any info?

    > Use Adobe's DNG converter[1] to convert the 40D RAW files to DNG, and
    > then read the DNGs into Aperture[2].
    >
    > -dms

    That sounds like the ticket! Thanks, Daniel, I'll give it a try.
    George Kerby, Oct 18, 2007
  6. George Kerby

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Oct 17, 6:56 pm, stuseven <> wrote:

    > + ah... just the person I was hoping to meet !
    > While I cant help with your Aperature problem, maybe you can
    > help me, by posting a link to one of your RAW images... I cant find
    > a single one online, and searched all afternoon today...

    Here is a RAW file from the 40D that has a lot going on in it.
    You should be able to give your RAW converter a good workout with this
    one:

    http://members.aol.com/annika1980/_MG_0431.cr2
    Annika1980, Oct 18, 2007
  7. George Kerby

    John Ortt Guest

    Best way to store Raw files (Should I convert them)?

    From post "40D and Aperture"

    >> Use Adobe's DNG converter[1] to convert the 40D RAW files to DNG, and
    >> then read the DNGs into Aperture[2].

    Do you loose anything atall by converting to DNG (eg certain EXIF fields)?

    As I understand it DNG is intended as a universal Raw image standard.

    As a result I would have thought I would be better converting all my files
    to DNG after shooting for archiving purposes.

    I am asking because I am trying to find the most future-proof method of
    storing my files.

    Thanks in advance,

    John
    John Ortt, Oct 18, 2007
  8. Re: Best way to store Raw files (Should I convert them)?

    John Ortt wrote:
    > From post "40D and Aperture"
    >
    >>> Use Adobe's DNG converter[1] to convert the 40D RAW files to DNG, and
    >>> then read the DNGs into Aperture[2].

    > Do you loose anything atall by converting to DNG (eg certain EXIF fields)?
    >
    > As I understand it DNG is intended as a universal Raw image standard.
    >
    > As a result I would have thought I would be better converting all my files
    > to DNG after shooting for archiving purposes.
    >
    > I am asking because I am trying to find the most future-proof method of
    > storing my files.

    If you shoot Canon or Nikon, it's perhaps moot whether DNG - and the
    time to convert, which is almost nothing when done in batch- gives you
    more security. I convert to DNG as it saves me 15-20% in disk space, and
    removes need to keep sidecar files.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Oct 18, 2007
  9. On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:36:48 -0700, Annika1980 wrote:

    > On Oct 17, 6:56 pm, stuseven <> wrote:
    >
    >> + ah... just the person I was hoping to meet !
    >> While I cant help with your Aperature problem, maybe you can
    >> help me, by posting a link to one of your RAW images... I cant find
    >> a single one online, and searched all afternoon today...

    > Here is a RAW file from the 40D that has a lot going on in it.
    > You should be able to give your RAW converter a good workout with this
    > one:
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/annika1980/_MG_0431.cr2

    I like it. Works beautifully with Rawstudio.

    --
    Neil
    Carl Neil Ellwood, Oct 18, 2007
  10. George Kerby

    Paul Furman Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:

    > John Ortt wrote:
    >
    >> From post "40D and Aperture"

    >> Do you loose anything atall by converting to DNG (eg certain EXIF
    >> fields)?

    One thing you do lose is the ability to use the Canon/Nikon conversion
    software.

    >> As I understand it DNG is intended as a universal Raw image standard.
    >>
    >> As a result I would have thought I would be better converting all my
    >> files to DNG after shooting for archiving purposes.
    >>
    >> I am asking because I am trying to find the most future-proof method
    >> of storing my files.

    > If you shoot Canon or Nikon, it's perhaps moot whether DNG - and the
    > time to convert, which is almost nothing when done in batch- gives you
    > more security. I convert to DNG as it saves me 15-20% in disk space, and
    > removes need to keep sidecar files.

    --
    Paul Furman Photography
    http://edgehill.net
    Paul Furman, Oct 18, 2007
  11. Re: Best way to store Raw files (Should I convert them)?

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >> John Ortt wrote:
    >>
    >>> From post "40D and Aperture"

    >>> Do you loose anything atall by converting to DNG (eg certain EXIF
    >>> fields)?

    > One thing you do lose is the ability to use the Canon/Nikon conversion
    > software.

    Hadn't thought of that, although for many it'd not be a consideration. I
    looked to see if PS allowed me to reconvert a DNG to native RAW, but
    don't think it does. Not sure yet about Adobe's DNG converter.

    The only time I'd be tempted to use Canon's software is for shots at the
    extremes of temperature range.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Oct 18, 2007
  12. George Kerby

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/18/07 8:17 AM, in article C33CC70D.3E962%,
    "George Kerby" <> wrote:

    > On 10/17/07 7:10 PM, in article
    > .2wire.net, "Daniel Silevitch"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:36:34 -0500, George Kerby <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> This may have been discussed before but I cannot find anything in these two
    >>> groups that I think may be relevant.
    >>>
    >>> I was appalled to find out that when I updated to Aperture 1.5.4 today, it
    >>> still was incapable of handling Canon's 40D RAW files. Shit, the camera has
    >>> been out for more than six weeks now and both Lightroom and Photoshop have
    >>> upgraded and can handle the RAW files.
    >>>
    >>> I have quite a number of images I need to process and get on line and this
    >>> is seriously getting out of hand. I know I can do post-processing with PS,
    >>> but I have become accustomed to the way Aperture works.
    >>>
    >>> Any Mac users out there that have any info?

    >> Use Adobe's DNG converter[1] to convert the 40D RAW files to DNG, and
    >> then read the DNGs into Aperture[2].
    >>
    >> -dms

    > That sounds like the ticket! Thanks, Daniel, I'll give it a try.

    Didn't work. Aperture still thinks that the DNG converted files are RAW and
    re-names them as such. A real pisser...
    George Kerby, Oct 19, 2007
  13. George Kerby

    Guest

    On Oct 18, 7:59 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 10/18/07 8:17 AM, in article C33CC70D.3E962%,
    >

    > "George Kerby" <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 10/17/07 7:10 PM, in article
    > > .2wire.net, "Daniel Silevitch"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> Use Adobe's DNG converter[1] to convert the 40D RAW files to DNG, and
    > >> then read the DNGs into Aperture[2].

    > >> -dms

    > > That sounds like the ticket! Thanks, Daniel, I'll give it a try.

    > Didn't work. Aperture still thinks that the DNG converted files are RAW and
    > re-names them as such. A real pisser...

    Just wanted to let you guys know, I have a BETA copy of leopard I'm
    using right now and Aperture still can't use my 40D RAWs. The only app
    that works right now is Lightroom (and Photoshop, of course)

    I hope the release version of Leopard supports it...
    , Oct 19, 2007
  14. George Kerby

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/19/07 11:26 AM, in article
    ,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Oct 18, 7:59 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >> On 10/18/07 8:17 AM, in article C33CC70D.3E962%,
    >>

    >> "George Kerby" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 10/17/07 7:10 PM, in article
    >>> .2wire.net, "Daniel Silevitch"

    >>> That sounds like the ticket! Thanks, Daniel, I'll give it a try.

    >> Didn't work. Aperture still thinks that the DNG converted files are RAW and
    >> re-names them as such. A real pisser...

    > Just wanted to let you guys know, I have a BETA copy of leopard I'm
    > using right now and Aperture still can't use my 40D RAWs. The only app
    > that works right now is Lightroom (and Photoshop, of course)
    >
    > I hope the release version of Leopard supports it...

    I am amazed that Adobe has beaten Apple to support a popular camera by a
    major manufacturer. As I stated before, dropping the files in DNG converter
    gives it a new 'tag', but Aperture still calls it an unknown file format.
    George Kerby, Oct 20, 2007
  15. George Kerby

    G.T. Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > I am amazed that Adobe has beaten Apple to support a popular camera by a
    > major manufacturer.

    Why? It's practically Adobe's core business. I can't see Apple ever
    beating Adobe at RAW support of new cameras.

    Greg
    --
    http://lodesertprotosites.org
    Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
    G.T., Oct 20, 2007
  16. George Kerby

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/19/07 6:37 PM, in article , "G.T."
    <> wrote:

    > "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am amazed that Adobe has beaten Apple to support a popular camera by a
    >> major manufacturer.

    > Why? It's practically Adobe's core business. I can't see Apple ever
    > beating Adobe at RAW support of new cameras.

    Well, Aperture is addressed to the Pro Market and the 40D is a pro camera,
    maybe not as much as EOS series, nevertheless. It has almost been two months
    since the camera's release.
    George Kerby, Oct 20, 2007
  17. George Kerby

    > On 10/19/07 6:37 PM, in article , "G.T."
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I am amazed that Adobe has beaten Apple to support a popular camera by a
    >>> major manufacturer.

    >> Why? It's practically Adobe's core business. I can't see Apple ever
    >> beating Adobe at RAW support of new cameras.
    >>

    > Well, Aperture is addressed to the Pro Market and the 40D is a pro camera,
    > maybe not as much as EOS series, nevertheless. It has almost been two
    > months
    > since the camera's release.

    I understand that, it doesn't matter what the camera is, and I'll bet Adobe
    will usually release RAW updates before Apple. Has Apple been doing them
    through system updates, Aperture updates, or both? If system updates then
    that's always going to add lag time.

    Greg
    --
    Weirdness in the low desert: http://lodesertprotosites.org
    G.T., Oct 22, 2007
  18. On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:05:10 -0700, G.T. <> wrote:

    [re: Apple Aperture and adding support for new cameras]

    > I understand that, it doesn't matter what the camera is, and I'll bet Adobe
    > will usually release RAW updates before Apple. Has Apple been doing them
    > through system updates, Aperture updates, or both? If system updates then
    > that's always going to add lag time.

    System updates. Usually 10.4.x updates, but I think there was one or two
    "add more cameras" mini-updates as well. Presumably if 10.4.11 doesn't
    add support for the 40D, 10.5 will.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 22, 2007
  19. "stuseven" <> wrote in message > + ah... just the
    person I was hoping to meet !
    > While I cant help with your Aperature problem, maybe you can
    > help me, by posting a link to one of your RAW images... I cant find
    > a single one online, and searched all afternoon today... add to that
    > what a great cam the 40D is, and it should make for a terrific test
    > image... this is if, of course, you decide to accept the request...
    > otherwise, this post will self-destruct in 30 seconds :)
    >
    > Ive been wanting to experiment with RAW images, with PS, and
    > some of the free programs which can handle raw formats.

    i am a total newbie with DSLR but do have a few straw and raw on my web
    site.
    taken with my 40d
    http://www.takebetterpix.com/pictures.html

    Tom
    Just Shoot Me, Oct 23, 2007
  20. George Kerby

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
[...]

    Doesn't Digital Photo Professional come with the 40D? Use that to convert your
    RAW files to TIF or JPEG.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Nov 12, 2007