400D Strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Soren, Sep 17, 2007.

  1. Soren

    Soren Guest

    Hi,

    I've had my 400D since april and its excellent! 6500 shots so far.
    Now, I've noticed a couple of anoying problems that rarely occurs, but
    do occur from time to time.

    1. Sometimes after I take a shot, the info in the viewfinder goes
    black, and the screen is black.. the camera is completely non-
    responsive.. the on-led is lit, even if I switch the camera off. I
    have to remove and reinsert the batteries to obtain control again..
    the picture I took is gone.. I guess the error could be located either
    in the CF-card.. or the camera itself.. it's very strange.. This can
    happen a couple of shots in a row.. but is rare

    2. I have a 580 EX flash. The on camera flash flashes rapidly to help
    focus.. the 580 EX uses a red light located on the flash.. Rarely, the
    580 EX starts to light up like the on camera flash... it goes really
    bright for a relatively long time (around 2-3 seconds).. like the on
    camera flash trying to help focus.. it doesn't sound or look good...
    Again.. the error could be in the flash or on the camera... I think I
    may have hit the flash exposure button (the one that sends out a
    single flash for exposure measurement) once and it happend... but I
    can't replicate the error..

    Has anyone ever had the same problems??

    I can't really send it for repair.. the errors are fairly rare, and i
    can't reproduce them.. I'm just worried that the bulb in my flash will
    blow one day.. or i'll take a special picture that gets lost after the
    camera freezes. I'm just praying the camera and/or flash will break
    before my warrenty runs out.. if I send it for repair, and they don't
    find anything.. they're gonna return my equipment with a fat bill on
    top. :(

    Soren
    Soren, Sep 17, 2007

  2. Soren

    Clem Dye Guest

    Soren wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had my 400D since april and its excellent! 6500 shots so far.
    > Now, I've noticed a couple of anoying problems that rarely occurs, but
    > do occur from time to time.
    >
    > 1. Sometimes after I take a shot, the info in the viewfinder goes
    > black, and the screen is black.. the camera is completely non-
    > responsive.. the on-led is lit, even if I switch the camera off. I
    > have to remove and reinsert the batteries to obtain control again..
    > the picture I took is gone.. I guess the error could be located either
    > in the CF-card.. or the camera itself.. it's very strange.. This can
    > happen a couple of shots in a row.. but is rare
    >
    > 2. I have a 580 EX flash. The on camera flash flashes rapidly to help
    > focus.. the 580 EX uses a red light located on the flash.. Rarely, the
    > 580 EX starts to light up like the on camera flash... it goes really
    > bright for a relatively long time (around 2-3 seconds).. like the on
    > camera flash trying to help focus.. it doesn't sound or look good...
    > Again.. the error could be in the flash or on the camera... I think I
    > may have hit the flash exposure button (the one that sends out a
    > single flash for exposure measurement) once and it happend... but I
    > can't replicate the error..
    >
    > Has anyone ever had the same problems??
    >
    > I can't really send it for repair.. the errors are fairly rare, and i
    > can't reproduce them.. I'm just worried that the bulb in my flash will
    > blow one day.. or i'll take a special picture that gets lost after the
    > camera freezes. I'm just praying the camera and/or flash will break
    > before my warrenty runs out.. if I send it for repair, and they don't
    > find anything.. they're gonna return my equipment with a fat bill on
    > top. :(
    >
    > Soren

    It might be worth trying the following:

    1) Set everything back to factory defaults
    2) Apply the latest firmware update
    3) See what happens then

    Personally, I'd get it back to Canon for a check-over before the
    warranty expires. Even if they don't find anything, you've reported it
    before the warranty expiry, so that might help if the problem becomes
    'solid'. You could argue that because the fault was reported before the
    expiry, Canon couldn't argue that it was a new fault requiring you to pay.

    Clem
    Clem Dye, Sep 17, 2007

  3. Soren

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:13:36 +0000, Soren wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had my 400D since april and its excellent! 6500 shots so far.
    > Now, I've noticed a couple of anoying problems that rarely occurs, but
    > do occur from time to time.
    >
    > 1. Sometimes after I take a shot, the info in the viewfinder goes
    > black, and the screen is black.. the camera is completely non-
    > responsive.. the on-led is lit, even if I switch the camera off. I
    > have to remove and reinsert the batteries to obtain control again..
    > the picture I took is gone.. I guess the error could be located either
    > in the CF-card.. or the camera itself.. it's very strange.. This can
    > happen a couple of shots in a row.. but is rare

    Sounds to me like it's broken - return it for repair.

    ray, Sep 17, 2007
  4. Soren

    Pete D Guest

    "Clem Dye" <> wrote in message
    > Soren wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've had my 400D since april and its excellent! 6500 shots so far.
    >> Now, I've noticed a couple of anoying problems that rarely occurs, but
    >> do occur from time to time.
    >>
    >> 1. Sometimes after I take a shot, the info in the viewfinder goes
    >> black, and the screen is black.. the camera is completely non-
    >> responsive.. the on-led is lit, even if I switch the camera off. I
    >> have to remove and reinsert the batteries to obtain control again..
    >> the picture I took is gone.. I guess the error could be located either
    >> in the CF-card.. or the camera itself.. it's very strange.. This can
    >> happen a couple of shots in a row.. but is rare
    >>
    >> 2. I have a 580 EX flash. The on camera flash flashes rapidly to help
    >> focus.. the 580 EX uses a red light located on the flash.. Rarely, the
    >> 580 EX starts to light up like the on camera flash... it goes really
    >> bright for a relatively long time (around 2-3 seconds).. like the on
    >> camera flash trying to help focus.. it doesn't sound or look good...
    >> Again.. the error could be in the flash or on the camera... I think I
    >> may have hit the flash exposure button (the one that sends out a
    >> single flash for exposure measurement) once and it happend... but I
    >> can't replicate the error..
    >>
    >> Has anyone ever had the same problems??
    >>
    >> I can't really send it for repair.. the errors are fairly rare, and i
    >> can't reproduce them.. I'm just worried that the bulb in my flash will
    >> blow one day.. or i'll take a special picture that gets lost after the
    >> camera freezes. I'm just praying the camera and/or flash will break
    >> before my warrenty runs out.. if I send it for repair, and they don't
    >> find anything.. they're gonna return my equipment with a fat bill on
    >> top. :(
    >>
    >> Soren
    >>

    > It might be worth trying the following:
    >
    > 1) Set everything back to factory defaults
    > 2) Apply the latest firmware update
    > 3) See what happens then
    >
    > Personally, I'd get it back to Canon for a check-over before the warranty
    > expires. Even if they don't find anything, you've reported it before the
    > warranty expiry, so that might help if the problem becomes 'solid'. You
    > could argue that because the fault was reported before the expiry, Canon
    > couldn't argue that it was a new fault requiring you to pay.
    >

    > Clem

    I agree, send it back. Do it now!!
    Pete D, Sep 17, 2007
  5. Soren

    Charles Guest

    "Soren" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had my 400D since april and its excellent! 6500 shots so far.
    > Now, I've noticed a couple of anoying problems that rarely occurs, but
    > do occur from time to time.
    >
    > 1. Sometimes after I take a shot, the info in the viewfinder goes
    > black, and the screen is black.. the camera is completely non-
    > responsive.. the on-led is lit, even if I switch the camera off. I
    > have to remove and reinsert the batteries to obtain control again..
    > the picture I took is gone.. I guess the error could be located either
    > in the CF-card.. or the camera itself.. it's very strange.. This can
    > happen a couple of shots in a row.. but is rare
    >
    > 2. I have a 580 EX flash. The on camera flash flashes rapidly to help
    > focus.. the 580 EX uses a red light located on the flash.. Rarely, the
    > 580 EX starts to light up like the on camera flash... it goes really
    > bright for a relatively long time (around 2-3 seconds).. like the on
    > camera flash trying to help focus.. it doesn't sound or look good...
    > Again.. the error could be in the flash or on the camera... I think I
    > may have hit the flash exposure button (the one that sends out a
    > single flash for exposure measurement) once and it happend... but I
    > can't replicate the error..
    >
    > Has anyone ever had the same problems??

    Yes. Does this happen with more than one lens?

    Also, have you tried cleaning the battery contacts?

    You might need a new battery.

    Your camera could be defective.

    This is a difficult problem to pinpoint the actual cause.
    Charles, Sep 17, 2007