4006,GBIC,Router module, VLAN and bridging

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by formlessreflections@yahoo.com, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    How's that for a subject line?

    Ok I've narrowed down my problem to this. I have Cisco Catalyst 4006
    core switch with the layer 3 router module. The router module has 2
    gigabit ethernet ports that I have linked up to 2 Catalyst 2000 series
    switches.

    The goal was to be able to use the same vlans across the entire network
    but the router module treats vlans on it's interfaces has it's own. So
    they are isolated and not exactly the same as the rest. I want to get
    them all the same so that vlan 103 on the router module is recognized
    by the other switches not on the router module.

    The GBIC ports work like this. G1 and G2 are the ports that you see,
    controlled by the router module (L3). G3 and G4 are also controlled by
    the router module but are the routers connection to the switch
    backplane. Ports 2/1 and 2/2 are the actually switchports the router
    ports connect to.

    Currently the gbics are all set to bridge and are in the same
    bridge-group.

    What I need to know is what should I be looking at to accomplish my
    goal?

    Do I need to enable bridging on the 2/1 and 2/2 ports? Do I need
    etherchannel?

    I thought that by bridging it would act like this:

    Switch -> bridgegroup -> switch and that all vlans would work.

    , Dec 14, 2006

  2. What is your Supervisor and L3 Router modules models? Is it Sup2 + L3 card,
    or Sup4/5?

    From what I remember about our scenario, the L3 card ports appear on the
    Sup2 module as a regular L2 ports, so, you should configure them as trunks
    on the Supervisor module. Then you have 4 ports, which go between Supervisor
    module and L3 module. You should configure them as trunks or as individual
    VLANs ports, and then create subinterfaces on the L3 module.

    Good luck,

    Mike
    ----
    Headset Adapters for a Cisco IP Phone
    www.headsetadapter.com

    headsetadapter.com, Dec 15, 2006

  3. Guest

    Would this configuration require IP routing? I do not use IP routing
    currently at all. I am briding the G123 and 4 ports (router card
    internal, external) but if I trunk them, will they still pass broadcast
    info without Ip turned on?

    Would 2 bridge-groups work?

    Such as:

    Bridge-group 1
    2/1 -> G3<bridge>G1 -> Switch

    Bridge-group 2
    2/2 -> G4 <bridge> G2 -> switch
    Bridge

    Bridging the router internal and external ports with a tunnel on 2/1
    and the Switch gigabit.

    headsetadapter.com wrote:
    > What is your Supervisor and L3 Router modules models? Is it Sup2 + L3 card,
    > or Sup4/5?
    >
    > From what I remember about our scenario, the L3 card ports appear on the
    > Sup2 module as a regular L2 ports, so, you should configure them as trunks
    > on the Supervisor module. Then you have 4 ports, which go between Supervisor
    > module and L3 module. You should configure them as trunks or as individual
    > VLANs ports, and then create subinterfaces on the L3 module.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Mike
    > ----
    > Headset Adapters for a Cisco IP Phone
    > www.headsetadapter.com
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > > How's that for a subject line?
    > >
    > > Ok I've narrowed down my problem to this. I have Cisco Catalyst 4006
    > > core switch with the layer 3 router module. The router module has 2
    > > gigabit ethernet ports that I have linked up to 2 Catalyst 2000 series
    > > switches.
    > >
    > > The goal was to be able to use the same vlans across the entire network
    > > but the router module treats vlans on it's interfaces has it's own. So
    > > they are isolated and not exactly the same as the rest. I want to get
    > > them all the same so that vlan 103 on the router module is recognized
    > > by the other switches not on the router module.
    > >
    > > The GBIC ports work like this. G1 and G2 are the ports that you see,
    > > controlled by the router module (L3). G3 and G4 are also controlled by
    > > the router module but are the routers connection to the switch
    > > backplane. Ports 2/1 and 2/2 are the actually switchports the router
    > > ports connect to.
    > >
    > > Currently the gbics are all set to bridge and are in the same
    > > bridge-group.
    > >
    > > What I need to know is what should I be looking at to accomplish my
    > > goal?
    > >
    > > Do I need to enable bridging on the 2/1 and 2/2 ports? Do I need
    > > etherchannel?
    > >
    > > I thought that by bridging it would act like this:
    > >
    > > Switch -> bridgegroup -> switch and that all vlans would work.

    , Dec 15, 2006
  4. Guest