40 gigabits-per-second

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by doS, Jul 22, 2007.

  1. doS

    doS Guest

    STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- She is a latecomer to the information
    superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet
    with a dizzying speed.

    Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is
    believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city
    officials said.

    In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her
    home computer -- many thousand times faster than most residential
    connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

    Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the
    connection.

    The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the
    sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without
    any transponders in between, Jonsson said.

    "We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he
    said.

    Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate
    the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.

    "She's a brand new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California,
    where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."

    His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection. She
    only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.

    doS, Jul 22, 2007

  2. doS

    Vanguard Guest

    "doS" wrote in message news:gnxoi.325$...
    <snip>
    > Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad
    > is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world,
    > Karlstad city officials said.

    <snip>
    > "We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet
    > speed," he said.

    Yeah, except the medium used. Duh!

    Vanguard, Jul 22, 2007

  3. Vanguard wrote:
    > "doS" wrote in message news:gnxoi.325$...
    > <snip>
    >> Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad
    >> is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world,
    >> Karlstad city officials said.

    > <snip>
    >> "We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet
    >> speed," he said.

    > Yeah, except the medium used. Duh!

    Wonder how many 40Gbs servers she can connect to?

    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 22, 2007
  4. doS

    Guest

    , Jul 22, 2007
  5. doS

    WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "doS" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is
    >>believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city
    >>officials said.

    > With all the pr0n she'll be downloanding she will need to purchase one
    > of these:
    > http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/07/20/foot_mouse_free.html

    Heck yeah - I can dig it <g>

    "Sorry boss, can't come running right now, I'm tied to my computer..."

    WhzzKdd, Jul 22, 2007