    micosoft pack and so on ,even some undeliverable mail manager
    when I haven;t sent any email . I just wanted to know if any body has had
    this problem . and what can I do about it thanks in advance pat

    pat, Sep 19, 2003

  2. pat

    Boomer Guest

    pat said:

    > today sept 19, I got 40 email and every one had a virus in it.
    > the sender was from MS corporation Program, micsolft security
    > upgrade,newest micosoft pack and so on ,even some undeliverable
    > mail manager when I haven;t sent any email . I just wanted to
    > know if any body has had this problem . and what can I do about
    > it thanks in advance pat

    W32.Swen.A@mm or W32/Gibe-F, or Worm Swen.A

    See how to create a message rule in OE *.

    Further information at:

    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    "W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that attempts to spread through
    file-sharing networks, such as KaZaA and IRC, and attempts to kill
    antivirus and personal firewall programs running on a computer.

    The worm arrives as an email attachment. The subject, body, and From:
    address of the email may vary. Some examples claim to be patches for
    Microsoft Internet Explorer, or delivery failure notices from qmail."

    "The worm can also impersonate mail delivery failure notices..."

    "The worm spreads through email, KaZaA, IRC, Network Shares, and
    newsgroups."

    Delete the e-mail. Make sure your AV is up to date. Pass along this
    information to those who may benefit from it.

    AVG
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_vir_tt.php#1
    Computer Associates:
    http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=36939
    F-Secure
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml
    Network Associates:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm
    Trend Micro:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_
    SWEN.A

    And at this newsgroup: alt.comp.anti-virus

    Make sure your preview pane is off.
    For Hotmail, set your application to only download headers.

    Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me,
    Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

    Systems Not Affected: DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Microsoft IIS, OS/2,
    UNIX, Windows 3.x

    *Borrowed from George (Bindar Dundat ©)
    Posted at: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

    <Quote>
    One protection method is to create a message rule in Outlook Express
    as follows;
    Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail>New
    In the top box) Check "Where the From Line Contains People" and
    "Where the
    Message has an Attachment"
    In the center box) Check "Mark as Read" and "Delete it" and "Stop
    Processing
    More Rules"
    In the bottom box) Click on "Contains People" (in blue) and add
    "microsoft.com"
    (no quotes).
    Do not use "Delete from server" since OE has no way of knowing if
    there is
    an
    attachment until it arrives in your inbox.
    If you use any other rules which sort mail into different folders or
    otherwise
    move the mail from the Inbox, then it is imperative that the above
    rule be
    moved
    to the top of the rules list.
    </Quote>

    You might consider a new e-mail client such as Mozilla Thunderbird.
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003

  3. i face the same programme too. When i consulted my friends, they said that
    it's only blaster worm. but upon deleted it, i still keep receiving all the
    virus.

    You Are Right, Sep 19, 2003
  4. pat

    Micha Guest

    This is entry no. 5723 about this and YES, anybody has this virus mails. The
    virus goes to everone who has posted into newsgroeps but not only. Take a
    look around in this and other newsgroups, you found many, many, many mails
    about the worm.

    Micha
    NEDSurf
    Het Surfnet van Nederland

    http://www.nedsurf.nl
    http://www.callunapark.nl

    Micha, Sep 19, 2003
  5. I received 5 and one of them was M32/SWEn@mm which apparently is FOJGU.exe.
    The latest McAfee can't delete it, can't clean it, and can't quarantine it.
    What the hell good is McAfee??

    Math Mathiasen, Sep 19, 2003
  6. pat

    Mellowed Guest

    FYI, New Virus going around.

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    :
    : http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112552,00.asp
    : http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp
    : http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/32327.html
    : http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/32410.html
    :

    Mellowed, Sep 19, 2003
  7. pat

    Mellowed Guest

    Sorry Boomer. Please disregard.

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    :
    : FYI, New Virus going around.
    :
    :
    : "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    : news:Xns93FB6BE772D8E24680@209.98.50.131...
    : :

    Mellowed, Sep 19, 2003
  8. "pat" <detap@qnet> wrote in message
    > today sept 19, I got 40 email and every one had a virus in it.
    > the sender was from MS corporation Program, micsolft security

    upgrade,newest
    > micosoft pack and so on ,even some undeliverable mail manager
    > when I haven;t sent any email . I just wanted to know if any body has had
    > this problem . and what can I do about it thanks in advance pat

    check your mail more often it will seem less shocking.. arf

    but seriously it seems to be a price paid for posting a real email address
    in newsgroups. I post my real email on my other identity and I have
    gotten over 100 yesterday.
    To make it bearable I looked at about 40 of them found the common
    items in the body of the message and set up filters to stop them
    before they even get to me.
    As others suggested you could get a different email client
    that has better filters. If you wanted to stay with outlook express
    the 6.0 version has a few filters that I don't think 5.0 has.

    It has a filter for messages with attachements, they can be sent
    straight
    to the trash. It also has a filter that will allow you to delete messages
    right off the server without even downloading them.

    JS(sorry no real email on this type of post)

    John Schmeckleheimer, Sep 19, 2003
  9. pat

    ripper Guest

    I have deleted over 400 today. I delete from server before downloading, but
    still they keep coming. Is there to be no end to this?

    ripper, Sep 19, 2003
  10. pat

    Boomer Guest

    Math Mathiasen said:

    > I received 5 and one of them was M32/SWEn@mm which apparently
    > is FOJGU.exe. The latest McAfee can't delete it, can't clean it,
    > and can't quarantine it. What the hell good is McAfee??

    Don't you mean Microsoft? OE!

    I have yet to see a virus in 6+ years IIRC. :)

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  11. Hello pat,

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, at 10:01:00 [GMT -0600] (which was 17:01 in my
    TimeZone) you wrote:

    > today sept 19, I got 40 email and every one had a virus in it.
    > the sender was from MS corporation Program, micsolft security upgrade,newest
    > micosoft pack and so on ,even some undeliverable mail manager
    > when I haven;t sent any email . I just wanted to know if any body has had
    > this problem . and what can I do about it thanks in advance pat

    Only 40? I have had over 200 today alone. All to my Newsgroup mail
    address. Needless to say measures have been put into place!

    --
    Best regards,
    Michael

    http://www.thompsonmike.co.uk/
    PGP KeyID := 0xA9547E32

    Applicant interrupted interview to phone her therapist for advice on how to answer specific interview questions.

    Michael Thompson, Sep 19, 2003
  12. pat

    trout Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > Math Mathiasen said:
    >
    >> I received 5 and one of them was M32/SWEn@mm which apparently
    >> is FOJGU.exe. The latest McAfee can't delete it, can't clean it,
    >> and can't quarantine it. What the hell good is McAfee??

    > Don't you mean Microsoft? OE!
    >
    > I have yet to see a virus in 6+ years IIRC. :)

    Neither have I. The answer isn't necessarily different software.
    --
    "It's knowing how to use the one you have."

    trout, Sep 19, 2003
  13. pat

    philo Guest

    "pat" <> wrote in message
    > today sept 19, I got 40 email and every one had a virus in it.
    > the sender was from MS corporation Program, micsolft security

    upgrade,newest
    > micosoft pack and so on ,even some undeliverable mail manager
    > when I haven;t sent any email . I just wanted to know if any body has had
    > this problem . and what can I do about it thanks in advance pat

    between today and yesterday i got hit with hundreds of them
    i highly advise installing mail washer...
    it's a free utility ...with a few filters i was able to delete all the spam
    with
    a single click in a matter of seconds

    this utility has saved me so much trouble i actually sent them the optional
    payment!

    philo, Sep 19, 2003
  14. pat

    Boomer Guest

    trout said:

    > Boomer wrote:
    >
    >> Math Mathiasen said:
    >>
    >>> I received 5 and one of them was M32/SWEn@mm which apparently
    >>> is FOJGU.exe. The latest McAfee can't delete it, can't clean
    >>> it, and can't quarantine it. What the hell good is McAfee??

    >> Don't you mean Microsoft? OE!
    >>
    >> I have yet to see a virus in 6+ years IIRC. :)

    > Neither have I. The answer isn't necessarily different
    > software.

    Different software helps but you're right. Setting up your software
    properly has a lot to do with it. Not letting your address get out
    to the public... many variables.

    But I mainly prefer less bloatware... and a safer product for my
    address book.

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  15. pat

    pat Guest

    what was that mailwasher and were can i get it

    pat, Sep 19, 2003
  16. pat

    pat Guest

    were can I get this email washer

    pat, Sep 19, 2003
  17. pat

    trout Guest

    trout, Sep 19, 2003
  18. pat

    RigPilot Guest

    I use OE to download messages, BUT the ISP Servers are clogged very quickly and bounce messages during my downtime. It seems like I would need to vacate the Server every 5 minutes day and night to keep ahead of this mess. Messages get bounced and I get UNSUBSCRIBED from groups, lists, forums, reflectors, etc. After that, the ISP Domain is *Black Listed* and FreeMail Addresses are spurned and banned for obvious reasons.

    How can MailWasher et al help this problem IF my PC is not running 24/7?

    Darwin

    "philo" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "pat" <> wrote in message
    > > today sept 19, I got 40 email and every one had a virus in it.

    [snip]

    > between today and yesterday i got hit with hundreds of them
    > i highly advise installing mail washer...

    ---

    RigPilot, Sep 19, 2003
  19. pat

    philo Guest

    "pat" <> wrote in message
    > what was that mailwasher and were can i get it
    > pat <> wrote in message
    > > today sept 19, I got 40 email and every one had a virus in it.
    > > the sender was from MS corporation Program, micsolft security

    > upgrade,newest
    > > micosoft pack and so on ,even some undeliverable mail manager
    > > when I haven;t sent any email . I just wanted to know if any body has

    had
    > > this problem . and what can I do about it thanks in advance pat

    here is the link to mail washer:

    http://www.mailwasher.net/

    by using about 6 different filters i'm now able to delete 99%
    of the spam...
    that should hold me until my isp get's it filtered and traced

    philo, Sep 19, 2003
  20. pat Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <MMFab.713$>:

    > today sept 19, I got 40 email and every one had a virus in it.
    > the sender was from MS corporation Program, micsolft security
    > upgrade,newest micosoft pack and so on ,even some undeliverable mail
    > manager when I haven;t sent any email . I just wanted to know if any
    > body has had this problem . and what can I do about it thanks in
    > advance pat

    My hotmail account has 4 in right now.

    They're not really from MS, BTW. How this virus operates is like
    this:

    It take a random e-mail address from the infected computer's addy
    book, and makes it the "from" address. It then e-mails everyone else
    in the address book a 'complimentary' copy of the virus.

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Sep 19, 2003