    new modem (Motorola Surfboard Cable - model: SB5101) would be appreciated.
    Easy of setup and dependability is more of a factor than cost.

    Thanks LA45

    LA45, Mar 27, 2008

  2. LA45

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:49:55 -0400, "LA45" <LA45(nospam)@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I would appreciate any suggestions on what brand/model of 4-Port Ethernet
    >Broadband Router (not wireless) would be a good replacement for my current
    >setup. I am a 10 Meg plan with my ISP provider. If I by pass my current
    >router (D-Link, DI-704) and connect directly by modem to computer, and test
    >my speed at it is around 7.5 Mb/s inbound and 1 Mb outbound, but if I go
    >through my router, I only get 1 Mb both ways. So I assume my problem is with
    >my router. Any suggestions on a new router that would be compatible with my
    >new modem (Motorola Surfboard Cable - model: SB5101) would be appreciated.

    The SB can connect to the PC at 100Mbps/full duplex. If the router WAN
    port is only 10Mbps/half duplex you should still get about 6Mbps.

    Sounds like your NIC is set for autodetect as you get a good speed when
    directly connected PC-modem. You may like to check the settings for the
    NIC whatever OS you have, speed/duplex. Perhaps when connected to the
    router even force the settings on the PC to be 100Mbps/full duplex. If
    it doesn't look right.

    If you have 2 PCs wired to the router the connection info / speed is
    okay?

    This doesn't help much
    http://reviews.cnet.com/gateways/d-link-di-704/4507-3334_7-2677495.html?tag=sub
    1 x Network host - Ethernet 10Base-T - RJ-45 - 1,
    that's the slow bit.

    4 x Network node - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 - 4,
    1 x Management - RS-232 - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9) - 1

    >Easy of setup and dependability is more of a factor than cost.

    You could ask in your ISPs support group, maybe get the same something
    others say work.

    Just about anything with a 100Mbps / 100Base-TX WAN port is what you
    need. Even a newer Dlink model would do.

    >Thanks LA45

    Me

    why?, Mar 27, 2008

  3. LA45