    to find anywhere selling them in the casual looking I have done.

    Are they available? Are prices too stupid to bother? Should I just
    fill it with 2 gigs and then repurpose 2 of them later?
    richms, Jun 11, 2008

  2. richms

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Freesias" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:34:46 +1200, geoff wrote:
    >
    >>> Does the motherbaord do 4GB modules? most dont....max I have seen is 4
    >>> x 2Gb giving 8Gb. You can get 4Gbs for servers and 8Gbs are out this
    >>> month....
    >>> Also which OS? unless its Linux or Windows 64bit 4 x 1 Gb is enough...

    >> Yeah but some platforms have APPLICATIONS that may wish to take
    >> advantage of large amounts of RAM. For what purpose is their business..

    > But MS Windows cannot cope with more than 4 gigs of RAM.

    No *process* running on *any* 32 bit OS can address more than 3.5GB of RAM.
    It's a hardware limitation, not software. Additonally no 32 bit OS can
    address more than 4GB of RAM without using Intel's PAE (Physical Address
    Extension) feature, and although it is available in all Pentium Pro and
    newer CPUs, there is a CPU and RAM hit involved in using it. Not sure about
    AMD chips though.
    Nik Coughlin, Jun 12, 2008

  3. richms

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Freesias" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:42:12 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> "Freesias" <> wrote in message

    >>> But MS Windows cannot cope with more than 4 gigs of RAM.

    >> No *process* running on *any* 32 bit OS can address more than 3.5GB of
    >> RAM. It's a hardware limitation, not software. Additonally no 32 bit OS
    >> can address more than 4GB of RAM without using Intel's PAE (Physical
    >> Address Extension) feature, and although it is available in all Pentium
    >> Pro and newer CPUs, there is a CPU and RAM hit involved in using it.
    >> Not sure about AMD chips though.

    > Interesting.
    >
    > Thanks for that response.
    >
    > My desktop box is a 64bit machine. It doesn't suffer from this
    > limitation. :eek:)

    It does if you're not using a 64bit operating system :)
    Nik Coughlin, Jun 12, 2008
  4. richms

    richms Guest

    On Jun 12, 5:34 pm, Brian Mathews
    <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:46:19 -0700 (PDT), richms <> wrote:
    > >I am thinking of allowing for furthur expansion when I get ram, so was
    > >hoping to get a pair of 4 gig sticks, vs 4 2 gig ones, but I cant seem
    > >to find anywhere selling them in the casual looking I have done.

    > >Are they available? Are prices too stupid to bother? Should I just
    > >fill it with 2 gigs and then repurpose 2 of them later?

    > I thought that XP had a limit of 4 gig..

    vista 64bit - loving it compared with xp on the same machine. All the
    weird crap that starts to happen when some mysterious resource gets
    low doesnt happen.

    I was often having to reboot xp when toolbars and menus stopped
    appearing. I could close a couple of apps and it would come right for
    another day or 2 and then do it again.

    I have found some prices, and lets just say that I will not be
    considering 4 gig sticks any furthur - the cheapo 780g motherboard
    will support 16 gigs via them but im not even hitting the limits of 4
    gigs at the moment, and until there is a 64bit adobe suite I dont
    think I will really benifit from it a huge amount.
    richms, Jun 12, 2008
  5. In article <>, Freesias did write:

    > And the only reason why I'm not using a 64bit version of Firefox is that
    > Flash doesn't work with 64bit Firefox.

    I run Flash under 64-bit Firefox on my Gentoo system using nspluginwrapper.
    It's a lot more stable than when I first tried it about a year and a half
    ago. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 13, 2008