4 dead hard drives

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by unlikeablePorpoise@gmail.com, Sep 19, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am currently building a new rig (AMD dual core, ASUS mobo, Hiper 580
    watt psu, 4 IDE HDDs and 1 SATA HDD). The 4 IDE HDDs are pulls from my
    old machine and are plugged into a Rosewill PCI-IDE expansion card.

    Here's what happened:

    All 4 of the IDE HDDs were plugged into the Rosewill PCI card and were
    recognized by BIOS when I booted up the first time on the new machine
    (with no OS installed yet). I rebooted and then none of the drives
    were recognized. I immediatedy removed them and put them into my old
    machine and to my dismay, none of them spun up.

    What could have happened? All of the components are brand new except
    for the 4 dead HDDs. How can 4 HDDs fail at once? Could it be the PSU?

    Thanks,
    Sarah
     
    , Sep 19, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Guest

    On Sep 19, 3:29 pm, wrote:
    > I am currently building a new rig (AMD dual core, ASUS mobo, Hiper 580
    > watt psu, 4 IDE HDDs and 1 SATA HDD). The 4 IDE HDDs are pulls from my
    > old machine and are plugged into a Rosewill PCI-IDE expansion card.
    >
    > Here's what happened:
    >
    > All 4 of the IDE HDDs were plugged into the Rosewill PCI card and were
    > recognized by BIOS when I booted up the first time on the new machine
    > (with no OS installed yet). I rebooted and then none of the drives
    > were recognized. I immediatedy removed them and put them into my old
    > machine and to my dismay, none of them spun up.
    >
    > What could have happened? All of the components are brand new except
    > for the 4 dead HDDs. How can 4 HDDs fail at once? Could it be the PSU?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sarah


    Hiper is a terrible PSU. I bought a few once on recommendation. The
    voltages went everywhere. I tested it with a multimeter. It didn't
    break the hard drives though.

    FSP is a cheap but good make. Or expensive ones like Antec or PC Power
    and Cooling.

    Odd how the SATA drive didn't break. 'cos that's plugged into the
    power supply too.

    Personally, i'd stick a note on the PSU with a warning.. and put it on
    my shelf. Or since I have so many Good spare PSUs i'd throw it out.

    I don't know how much your PCI-IDE card was, and I don't know if/how
    it could've messed it up . But the fact that only your IDE drives
    went, suggests the possibility that it did it, or played a part. I'd
    label it very clearly, and put it on the shelf in the back, far away,
    or in a box with other potentially bad things.

    I have kept parts that i've labelled 90% chance broken. But I rarely
    use them, i usually get another one. But if it's 90% chance a
    killer!!! then i'd prob throw it out. If I labelled it then i
    wouldn't use it. Except maybe for curiousity to test it.

    If you ever have old motherboards, and old hard drives the potentially
    dodgy PSU and the potentially dodgy PCI-IDE card then you could test
    again!!! See if it's repeatable. And try with a different PCI-IDE
    card. A different PSU.
    It's likely that you'll be able to prove that the PCI-IDE card didn't
    play a part, and you may want to take it out of retirement - if you
    had ever retired it.
     
    , Sep 19, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Guest

    On Sep 19, 10:24 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 3:29 pm, wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > I am currently building a new rig (AMD dual core, ASUS mobo, Hiper 580
    > > watt psu, 4 IDE HDDs and 1 SATA HDD). The 4 IDE HDDs are pulls from my
    > > old machine and are plugged into a Rosewill PCI-IDE expansion card.

    >
    > > Here's what happened:

    >
    > > All 4 of the IDE HDDs were plugged into the Rosewill PCI card and were
    > > recognized by BIOS when I booted up the first time on the new machine
    > > (with no OS installed yet). I rebooted and then none of the drives
    > > were recognized. I immediatedy removed them and put them into my old
    > > machine and to my dismay, none of them spun up.

    >
    > > What could have happened? All of the components are brand new except
    > > for the 4 dead HDDs. How can 4 HDDs fail at once? Could it be the PSU?

    >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Sarah

    >
    > Hiper is a terrible PSU. I bought a few once on recommendation. The
    > voltages went everywhere. I tested it with a multimeter. It didn't
    > break the hard drives though.
    >
    > FSP is a cheap but good make. Or expensive ones like Antec or PC Power
    > and Cooling.
    >
    > Odd how the SATA drive didn't break. 'cos that's plugged into the
    > power supply too.
    >
    > Personally, i'd stick a note on the PSU with a warning.. and put it on
    > my shelf. Or since I have so many Good spare PSUs i'd throw it out.
    >
    > I don't know how much your PCI-IDE card was, and I don't know if/how
    > it could've messed it up . But the fact that only your IDE drives
    > went, suggests the possibility that it did it, or played a part. I'd
    > label it very clearly, and put it on the shelf in the back, far away,
    > or in a box with other potentially bad things.
    >
    > I have kept parts that i've labelled 90% chance broken. But I rarely
    > use them, i usually get another one. But if it's 90% chance a
    > killer!!! then i'd prob throw it out. If I labelled it then i
    > wouldn't use it. Except maybe for curiousity to test it.
    >
    > If you ever have old motherboards, and old hard drives the potentially
    > dodgy PSU and the potentially dodgy PCI-IDE card then you could test
    > again!!! See if it's repeatable. And try with a different PCI-IDE
    > card. A different PSU.
    > It's likely that you'll be able to prove that the PCI-IDE card didn't
    > play a part, and you may want to take it out of retirement - if you
    > had ever retired it.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I wondered the same thing (about why the SATA didn't die). I don't
    remember, but I think I had the SATA plugged into a different
    connector on the PSU. The 4 IDE HDDs were connected by one Molex from
    the PSU and daisy-chained. Perhaps that single PSU line is putting out
    too much voltage. This is a modular power supply, so I could isolate
    the (potentially) bad line.

    I have always used Enermax PSUs and never had a problem. I am going to
    RMA the Hiper PSU and get an Enermax.

    Thanks,
    Sarah
     
    , Sep 19, 2007
    #3
  4. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 10:24 am, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >> On Sep 19, 3:29 pm, wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> I am currently building a new rig (AMD dual core, ASUS mobo, Hiper 580
    >>> watt psu, 4 IDE HDDs and 1 SATA HDD). The 4 IDE HDDs are pulls from my
    >>> old machine and are plugged into a Rosewill PCI-IDE expansion card.
    >>> Here's what happened:
    >>> All 4 of the IDE HDDs were plugged into the Rosewill PCI card and were
    >>> recognized by BIOS when I booted up the first time on the new machine
    >>> (with no OS installed yet). I rebooted and then none of the drives
    >>> were recognized. I immediatedy removed them and put them into my old
    >>> machine and to my dismay, none of them spun up.
    >>> What could have happened? All of the components are brand new except
    >>> for the 4 dead HDDs. How can 4 HDDs fail at once? Could it be the PSU?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Sarah

    >> Hiper is a terrible PSU. I bought a few once on recommendation. The
    >> voltages went everywhere. I tested it with a multimeter. It didn't
    >> break the hard drives though.
    >>
    >> FSP is a cheap but good make. Or expensive ones like Antec or PC Power
    >> and Cooling.
    >>
    >> Odd how the SATA drive didn't break. 'cos that's plugged into the
    >> power supply too.
    >>
    >> Personally, i'd stick a note on the PSU with a warning.. and put it on
    >> my shelf. Or since I have so many Good spare PSUs i'd throw it out.
    >>
    >> I don't know how much your PCI-IDE card was, and I don't know if/how
    >> it could've messed it up . But the fact that only your IDE drives
    >> went, suggests the possibility that it did it, or played a part. I'd
    >> label it very clearly, and put it on the shelf in the back, far away,
    >> or in a box with other potentially bad things.
    >>
    >> I have kept parts that i've labelled 90% chance broken. But I rarely
    >> use them, i usually get another one. But if it's 90% chance a
    >> killer!!! then i'd prob throw it out. If I labelled it then i
    >> wouldn't use it. Except maybe for curiousity to test it.
    >>
    >> If you ever have old motherboards, and old hard drives the potentially
    >> dodgy PSU and the potentially dodgy PCI-IDE card then you could test
    >> again!!! See if it's repeatable. And try with a different PCI-IDE
    >> card. A different PSU.
    >> It's likely that you'll be able to prove that the PCI-IDE card didn't
    >> play a part, and you may want to take it out of retirement - if you
    >> had ever retired it.- Hide quoted text -
    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    > I wondered the same thing (about why the SATA didn't die). I don't
    > remember, but I think I had the SATA plugged into a different
    > connector on the PSU. The 4 IDE HDDs were connected by one Molex from
    > the PSU and daisy-chained. Perhaps that single PSU line is putting out
    > too much voltage. This is a modular power supply, so I could isolate
    > the (potentially) bad line.
    >
    > I have always used Enermax PSUs and never had a problem. I am going to
    > RMA the Hiper PSU and get an Enermax.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sarah
    >


    The problem could be with the Rosewill card, damaging the ribbon cable
    interface on anything connected to it. If other drives were powered
    from the same power supply and were not affected, I would suspect
    the controller card.

    Paul
     
    Paul, Sep 19, 2007
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David Dean

    Dead... the damn thing's dead...

    David Dean, Jan 28, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    668
  2. mentalguy2004

    2 hard drives dead in 24 hours

    mentalguy2004, Mar 30, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    624
    Rosco
    Apr 1, 2006
  3. Zap Eagle
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,458
    Zap Eagle
    Jul 13, 2006
  4. J. Eric Durbin

    Two Dead Hard Drives: Virus?

    J. Eric Durbin, Dec 7, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    697
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    Dec 30, 2005
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    858
Loading...

Share This Page