    I've rebooted everything (router, modem, computers) and I don't know what
    else to try. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Carol, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Isn't there any MVPs that have any suggestions as to why I can access these
    computers with all the computers on my network except the one I need?

    Carol, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Gheess, I guess I have a real problem. No one can think of any reason why
    two computer on the same home network can't talk to each other when other
    computers on the same home network can communicate with both?
    They are both attached to the same workgroup and I can see them in the
    workgroup. All are set with simple sharing and all can access at least 2
    other computers on the same network and can be accessed by other computers,
    but not with each other.

    Carol, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Carol

    Malke Guest

    Carol wrote:

    > Gheess, I guess I have a real problem. No one can think of any reason
    > why two computer on the same home network can't talk to each other
    > when other computers on the same home network can communicate with
    > both? They are both attached to the same workgroup and I can see them
    > in the workgroup. All are set with simple sharing and all can access
    > at least 2 other computers on the same network and can be accessed by
    > other computers, but not with each other.

    These problems are usually caused by a misconfigured firewall although
    of course there can be other reasons. Make sure that you are only
    running one firewall and that it is configured to allow the lan traffic
    as trusted. Some new antivirus programs such as Norton 2005/06 have
    "Internet Worm Protection" which acts as a simple firewall and will
    cause a problem if you have another firewall enabled. If you have XP
    SP2 and are using the Windows Firewall, make sure that File & Printer
    Sharing are enabled on the Exceptions tab.

    Otherwise, go through this excellent network troubleshooter by MVP
    Hans-Georg Michna:

    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    If you take the time to go through it carefully, it will usually
    pinpoint the problem area(s).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Carol

    Carol Guest

    I thought about the fire wall so I tried turning it off. Also, at least two
    other computers can access the computers, they just can't access each other,
    but other computers can access both BUT, they both are running zonealarm,
    one a paid subscription and one the free version... then again, other
    computers have no problems sharing everything back and forth. The IP numbers
    are so far apart I can't see how the firewall could be blocking them unless
    they are blocking each others particular IP address, but I don't see
    anything blocked. ZoneAlarm only lists the starting IP address of the
    allowed network (no other firewall).
    I do appreciate the suggestions and I'll check out the site you suggested.
    Thanks,
    Carol

    Carol, Dec 30, 2005
  6. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Well, nothing there either. My problem is, computers can access the problem
    computers. If there was any basic setting incorrect on one of the computers,
    than none of the computers would be able to share with it. But that isn't
    the case:
    carol shares both ways with p25, beta and sewing
    beta shares both ways with p25, sewing and carol
    sewing shares both ways with carol and beta (not p25)
    p25 shares both ways with carol and beta (not sewing)
    Only p25 and sewing don't talk to each other. If there was a setting
    blocking access, then none of the other computer should be able to share
    either. There is something just between these two systems that do not affect
    their ability to connect with all the others.

    Everything I saw on the site you guided me to had to do with one computer
    not connecting or being accessed by all.

    I"m willing to check out any other suggestions and appreciate any
    suggestions.

    Carol, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Carol

    Malke Guest

    Carol wrote:

    > I thought about the fire wall so I tried turning it off. Also, at
    > least two other computers can access the computers, they just can't
    > access each other, but other computers can access both BUT, they both
    > are running zonealarm, one a paid subscription and one the free
    > version... then again, other computers have no problems sharing
    > everything back and forth. The IP numbers are so far apart I can't see
    > how the firewall could be blocking them unless they are blocking each
    > others particular IP address, but I don't see anything blocked.
    > ZoneAlarm only lists the starting IP address of the allowed network
    > (no other firewall). I do appreciate the suggestions and I'll check
    > out the site you suggested. Thanks,
    > Carol

    I have no idea what this means "The IP numbers are so far apart I can't
    see how the firewall could be blocking them" but that's not how a
    firewall works. If you are using ZA, then make sure the WF is disabled.
    In ZA, allow the lan's IP *range* as trusted. For ex., my network range
    would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Substitute your correct subnet
    mask.

    Since you only have 4 computers and they are all presumably XP Pro
    (since you mention Simple Sharing which can only be changed in Pro),
    make identical user accounts/passwords on all machines. Make sure none
    of the user accounts have the same name as a computer; i.e., don't name
    a computer "Carol" and have a user account "Carol". Make sure there are
    no blank passwords and no spaces in user/computer names.

    And of course make sure you've created shares with desired permissions.

    Other than that, yes do try Mr. Michna's troubleshooter. It's quite
    good.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 30, 2005
  8. Carol

    Carol Guest

    I did get it Malke, that's so very much for your input. What I meant by the
    ip address, one ended in 83 and the other in 153 and I have other computers
    lower and higher, so it wasn't the range. I had set the range from 0 to 199.
    What had happened after the last update of ZoneAlarms, the computer (sewing)
    that I really did not think was the problem (I thought it was p25), turns
    out is excluded 83 (p25) I have no idea why but I did find it and remove the
    exclusion.
    It was in relating to you that I realized it just had to be the firewall
    blocking the specific computers and I remembered that I had done an update
    on that one machine just a few days earlier. I don't know anything about
    networking, but you got my brain cells working and I'm learning :)

    Carol, Dec 30, 2005
  9. Carol

    Malke Guest

    Carol wrote:

    > I did get it Malke, that's so very much for your input. What I meant
    > by the ip address, one ended in 83 and the other in 153 and I have
    > other computers lower and higher, so it wasn't the range. I had set
    > the range from 0 to 199. What had happened after the last update of
    > ZoneAlarms, the computer (sewing) that I really did not think was the
    > problem (I thought it was p25), turns out is excluded 83 (p25) I have
    > no idea why but I did find it and remove the exclusion.
    > It was in relating to you that I realized it just had to be the
    > firewall blocking the specific computers and I remembered that I had
    > done an update on that one machine just a few days earlier. I don't
    > know anything about networking, but you got my brain cells working and
    > I'm learning :)

    So it was a firewall issue after all. I'm glad you figured it out, and
    thanks for posting the solution.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 30, 2005