4-6 days till NAUSICAA

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike Ching, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Mike Ching

    Mike Ching Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:39:56 GMT, kevins_news <0spam.com> wrote:
    > On 19 Nov 2003 07:03:14 -0800, (Evil) wrote:
    >
    >>I got the email yesterday that the dvd shipped from CDJapan.
    >>
    >>4-6 days.
    >>
    >>My head is about to explode........

    > Is there any word on a Region 1 release of this? I know nausicaa.net
    > mentions an english dub being done with Patrick Steward and Uma
    > Thurman, which makes me believe a North American release is imminent.
    > But i can't find any other information on this.
    >
    > Will there be a Region 1 release? And if so, when?
    >
    > Back when i bought my DVD player i didn't understand why i would
    > *ever* want to watch something that wasn't Region 1. Now i'm starting
    > to understand :)
    >
    > Kevin

    Considering the region 1 Porco Rosso got pushed back from Dec. to Apr. of
    next year and there are announced releases through Nov. of next year, I'd
    expect the unannounced region 1 Nausicaa to be in the second half of next
    year at the earliest which is not imminent in my book.

    Mike Ching, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Mike Ching

    Evil Guest

    Evil, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Mike Ching

    Jorge Pratt Guest

    "Evil" <> wrote in message
    > I got the email yesterday that the dvd shipped from CDJapan.
    >
    > 4-6 days.
    >
    > My head is about to explode........

    I thought the release had been delayed until the 5th of December...?

    The Zephyr
    (Clearing out his CC to make way...)

    Jorge Pratt, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Mike Ching

    Lawrence Lin Guest

    Lawrence Lin, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Mike Ching

    kevins_news Guest

    kevins_news, Nov 19, 2003
  6. On 11/19/2003 13:39, in article ,
    "kevins_news" <0spam.com> wrote:

    > On 19 Nov 2003 07:03:14 -0800, (Evil) wrote:
    >
    >> I got the email yesterday that the dvd shipped from CDJapan.
    >>
    >> 4-6 days.
    >>
    >> My head is about to explode........

    > Is there any word on a Region 1 release of this? I know nausicaa.net
    > mentions an english dub being done with Patrick Steward and Uma
    > Thurman, which makes me believe a North American release is imminent.
    > But i can't find any other information on this.
    >
    > Will there be a Region 1 release? And if so, when?

    It's part of the Tokuma/Disney deal, so yes, it will be released eventually.
    I believe that the R2 DVDs need to be issued before the R1s can be made.

    --
    Ciao,
    John

    John C. Watson
    World Otakunization Project, Amherst Division

    <http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml>

    John C. Watson, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Mike Ching

    Lawrence Lin Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, kevins_news wrote:

    > Is there any word on a Region 1 release of this? I know nausicaa.net
    > mentions an english dub being done

    Not yet known.

    I'm sure we'll see an news announcement on NN when the release date is made
    public.

    --
    http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/

    Lawrence Lin, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Mike Ching

    Impmon Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:49:08 GMT, "John C. Watson"
    <> typed:

    >It's part of the Tokuma/Disney deal, so yes, it will be released eventually.
    >I believe that the R2 DVDs need to be issued before the R1s can be made.

    Disney has the USA right to all Miyazaki's films and so far they have
    released Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and
    Princess Mononoke. They were expected to release Nausicca and Porco
    Rosso eventually along with My Neighbor Totoro when Fox gives it up. (My
    Neighbor Totoro is out on R1 DVD but it's a few years old and doesn't
    have original language or special features)

    I plan to get that 2 when they came out in R1 and if Disney's version of
    Totoro is better, sell the Fox version.
    --
    space for rent.
    To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net

    Impmon, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Mike Ching

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Mike Ching
    <> wrote:

    > Considering the region 1 Porco Rosso got pushed back from Dec. to Apr. of
    > next year and there are announced releases through Nov. of next year, I'd
    > expect the unannounced region 1 Nausicaa to be in the second half of next
    > year at the earliest which is not imminent in my book.

    If you've been waiting for an uncut US release of Nausicaa since the
    late 80's, it is imminent :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Nov 20, 2003
  10. Mike Ching

    Guest

    On 19 Nov 2003 07:03:14 -0800, (Evil) wrote:

    >I got the email yesterday that the dvd shipped from CDJapan.
    >
    >4-6 days.
    >
    >My head is about to explode........

    Got mine today.

    In the DVD case there a a couple of inserts advertising related
    merchandise. The one I really want to get is the 5-foot long
    replica of Nausicaa's gun.
    ----
    Dendarii Free Mercenary Fleet
    Daring rescues our specialty.

    , Nov 20, 2003
  11. Mike Ching

    Graham Bell Guest

    wrote:
    > On 19 Nov 2003 07:03:14 -0800, (Evil) wrote:
    >

    >>I got the email yesterday that the dvd shipped from CDJapan.
    >>
    >>4-6 days.
    >>
    >>My head is about to explode........

    > Got mine today.
    >
    > In the DVD case there a a couple of inserts advertising related
    > merchandise. The one I really want to get is the 5-foot long
    > replica of Nausicaa's gun.
    > ----
    > Dendarii Free Mercenary Fleet
    > Daring rescues our specialty.

    Got mine on Wednesday. Soft case is nice, although kinda cheap. I picked
    them up at Bic Camera and also got a free Nausicaa plastic shopping
    bag/shoulder bag with each copy.

    The ceramic figure set is *very* nice - the figure is nicely painted,
    and comes in a form fitting foam insert, so anyone who mail ordered one
    shouldn't have any problems.

    Cheapest I saw the Nausicaa figure LE set for was 6,630yen pre ordered
    from Amazon.co.jp. But then Amazon sold out of their pre-orders for this
    one months ago.. glad I put in for one. Interestingly though, Bic Camera
    had a reasonable number available on the shelf when I went in..

    Graham

    Graham Bell, Nov 20, 2003
  12. Mike Ching

    Evil Guest

    (Evil) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I got the email yesterday that the dvd shipped from CDJapan.
    >
    > 4-6 days.
    >
    > My head is about to explode........

    i just checked the package tracking.

    My Nausicaa dvd has arrived, but i am at work. the ems shipment is
    now at the PO and i can't pick it up until tomorrow morning.
    arghhhhh....

    Evil, Nov 20, 2003
  13. kevins_news <0spam.com> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Back when i bought my DVD player i didn't understand why i would
    > *ever* want to watch something that wasn't Region 1. Now i'm starting
    > to understand :)

    Releases like this were the very reason I bought a multi-region DVD
    player.

    However, now I'm torn. Pre-Disney deal, I would've snatched up this
    disc SO fast. In fact, I bought the R2 Kiki when it was released. But
    seeing how the Disney R1 releases are so well done, even including the
    R1 bonus discs with the storyboards and whatnot, that I think I can
    wait few more months or a year and save around 40 bucks.

    Jay Pennington, Nov 20, 2003
  14. Mike Ching

    Manbow Papa Guest

    "Evil" <> wrote in message
    > I got the email yesterday that the dvd shipped from CDJapan.
    >
    > 4-6 days.
    >
    > My head is about to explode........

    One of the audio tracks of main disc has commentary
    Anno-san (Evangellion) and Sato-san (Giant Robo) are
    giving in a timely manner. At the time of the production
    of Nausicaa, Anno-san finished his college and was
    responsible for genga [still-pictures] of Kyoshinhei
    [a giant god soldier], and Sato-san was a co-director.

    Of the commentary, what amused me was how Miya-san
    (short for Miyazaki-san) was working, talking and behaving.
    Also interesting to hear is two brilliant directors are
    pointing goods and bads of many scenes technically
    and/or artistically.

    --
    / Ishikawa Kazuo /

    Manbow Papa, Nov 21, 2003
  15. On 20 Nov 2003 15:43:53 -0800, (Jay Pennington)
    wrote:

    >However, now I'm torn. Pre-Disney deal, I would've snatched up this
    >disc SO fast. In fact, I bought the R2 Kiki when it was released. But
    >seeing how the Disney R1 releases are so well done, even including the
    >R1 bonus discs with the storyboards and whatnot, that I think I can
    >wait few more months or a year and save around 40 bucks.

    Provided you know when Disney plans on a release. So far it doesn't
    appear that Disney is in any great hurry to release the Ghibli films
    in North America. Then there's the question of films like Omoide Poro
    Poro or Umi ga Kikoeru which aren't aimed at Disney's target
    demographic.

    -----
    Kyle Pope

    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered!" - No. 6

    Keeper of the Edit List -

    (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/columns/edit-list.php)

    Kyle Thomas Pope, Nov 21, 2003
  16. Mike Ching

    Impmon Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:25:06 -0800, Kyle Thomas Pope
    <> typed:

    >Then there's the question of films like Omoide Poro
    >Poro or Umi ga Kikoeru which aren't aimed at Disney's target
    >demographic.

    Those aren't directed by Miyazaki. In fact I don't think Studio Ghibli
    ever produced those titles.

    Here's a listing of all films and TV shows directed by Miyazaki,
    Takahata, or produced through Studio Gibli:
    http://nausicaa.net/miyazaki/films/

    Impmon, Nov 21, 2003
  17. Mike Ching

    Manbow Papa Guest

    Sorry, I was confused. It's Katayama-san not Sato-san.

    Manbow Papa, Nov 21, 2003
  18. Mike Ching

    Chris Kuan Guest

    Impmon <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > [Omoide Poro Poro or Umi ga Kikoeru ] aren't directed by Miyazaki.

    True, but he wrote the screenplay for the first. Ghibli did make the
    second one, but it was a TV movie, not a theatrical release.

    Perhaps you would have better luck searching nausicaa.net for "Whisper
    Of The Heart" and "Ocean Waves".

    --
    Chris

    Chris Kuan, Nov 21, 2003
  19. Mike Ching

    Lawrence Lin Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Impmon wrote:

    > Those aren't directed by Miyazaki. In fact I don't think Studio Ghibli
    > ever produced those titles.

    They're Studio Ghibli films, but not by Miyazaki.

    OPP is also known as "Only Yesterday" while Umi is translated as "Ocean Waves"
    or "I Can Hear the Sea".

    --
    http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/

    Lawrence Lin, Nov 21, 2003
  20. Mike Ching

    AstroNerdBoy Guest

    Kyle Thomas Pope <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 20 Nov 2003 15:43:53 -0800, (Jay Pennington)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >However, now I'm torn. Pre-Disney deal, I would've snatched up this
    > >disc SO fast. In fact, I bought the R2 Kiki when it was released. But
    > >seeing how the Disney R1 releases are so well done, even including the
    > >R1 bonus discs with the storyboards and whatnot, that I think I can
    > >wait few more months or a year and save around 40 bucks.

    > Provided you know when Disney plans on a release. So far it doesn't
    > appear that Disney is in any great hurry to release the Ghibli films
    > in North America. Then there's the question of films like Omoide Poro
    > Poro or Umi ga Kikoeru which aren't aimed at Disney's target
    > demographic.
    >
    > -----
    > Kyle Pope

    Well, of course Disney isn't in a hurry. No matter how good these
    are, they aren't "Disney" products. Disney films take priority over
    Japanese ones that they have the rights to. Yeah, I'm being
    cynical...

    AstroNerdBoy, Nov 21, 2003