4-5MP cameras versus old Kodak DC280 2MP question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by the6carrules, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. the6carrules

    the6carrules Guest

    I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
    4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
    current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.

    Basically the question I want answered is; is it worth spending 500+
    dollars on something like a Canon G5, or will the $350
    Canon/Kodak/Sony cameras do it for me. Is the extra $150 worth the
    upgrade in terms of features (that I probably wont' use since I'm used
    to the DC280 not having many). Will the extra $150 be noticable in
    the finish picture, keeping in mind what I"m going from - will the
    "wow factor" be there with the $350 camera going from the DC280?

    Most of the stuff I'm doing is family stuff - holidays, playing with
    the kids, camping, etc... I"m not, nor do I ever intend to do anything
    even remotely professional with this - like adding external lights,
    etc... I think I'd use some of the more advance features, but also
    need it to be just a P&S for those times when I need a quick pic to
    turn out nicely.

    I'm currently waging an internal war between the following choices:

    Canon A80, S50, S60, G5, S410/s500
    Kodak CX7530, DX7630
    Sony DSC-V1, DSC-TI

    I'm liking the A80 because of price and compatibility with my current
    CF media and multiple sets of AAs (both of which my current camera
    uses)

    I'm liking the G5 because the battery is the same as my Canon Optura
    20 camcorder - which would give me 3 of them, so buying an extra one
    isn't pointless for me.

    So the A80 4mp versus the G5 5mp when compared to my 2mp - which one,
    and then what about the others I mentioned, like the very small s500.
    the6carrules, Jun 7, 2004

  2. the6carrules

    nellybly Guest

    In article <>,
    the6carrules <> wrote:

    > I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
    > 4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
    > current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.

    Check out the Imaing Resource Comparometer
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM
    You can compare images from your Kodak with many of the more current
    models.
    NB
    nellybly, Jun 7, 2004

  3. the6carrules

    Martik Guest

    "the6carrules" <> wrote in message
    >I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
    > 4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
    > current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.
    >
    > Basically the question I want answered is; is it worth spending 500+
    > dollars on something like a Canon G5, or will the $350
    > Canon/Kodak/Sony cameras do it for me. Is the extra $150 worth the
    > upgrade in terms of features (that I probably wont' use since I'm used
    > to the DC280 not having many). Will the extra $150 be noticable in
    > the finish picture, keeping in mind what I"m going from - will the
    > "wow factor" be there with the $350 camera going from the DC280?
    >

    > Most of the stuff I'm doing is family stuff - holidays, playing with
    > the kids, camping, etc... I"m not, nor do I ever intend to do anything
    > even remotely professional with this - like adding external lights,
    > etc... I think I'd use some of the more advance features, but also
    > need it to be just a P&S for those times when I need a quick pic to
    > turn out nicely.
    >
    > I'm currently waging an internal war between the following choices:
    >
    > Canon A80, S50, S60, G5, S410/s500
    > Kodak CX7530, DX7630
    > Sony DSC-V1, DSC-TI
    >
    > I'm liking the A80 because of price and compatibility with my current
    > CF media and multiple sets of AAs (both of which my current camera
    > uses)
    >
    > I'm liking the G5 because the battery is the same as my Canon Optura
    > 20 camcorder - which would give me 3 of them, so buying an extra one
    > isn't pointless for me.
    >
    > So the A80 4mp versus the G5 5mp when compared to my 2mp - which one,
    > and then what about the others I mentioned, like the very small s500.

    If you are not printing beyond 5x7 or even the occasional 8x10 you are
    probably wasting your money.

    Also, 4-5MP will require alot more CF memory.

    I am completely satisfied with the A60 (2MP) which can be P/S or full
    manual and excellent macro capability. The A80 would be a good choice with
    many of the same features and a swivel LCD. Keep in mind the A80 video is
    1/2 the resolution of the A70.

    Maybe post your question at http://forums.powershot-a.com/
    Martik, Jun 7, 2004
  4. the6carrules

    Ron Hunter Guest

    the6carrules wrote:

    > I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
    > 4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
    > current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.
    >
    > Basically the question I want answered is; is it worth spending 500+
    > dollars on something like a Canon G5, or will the $350
    > Canon/Kodak/Sony cameras do it for me. Is the extra $150 worth the
    > upgrade in terms of features (that I probably wont' use since I'm used
    > to the DC280 not having many). Will the extra $150 be noticable in
    > the finish picture, keeping in mind what I"m going from - will the
    > "wow factor" be there with the $350 camera going from the DC280?
    >

    > Most of the stuff I'm doing is family stuff - holidays, playing with
    > the kids, camping, etc... I"m not, nor do I ever intend to do anything
    > even remotely professional with this - like adding external lights,
    > etc... I think I'd use some of the more advance features, but also
    > need it to be just a P&S for those times when I need a quick pic to
    > turn out nicely.
    >
    > I'm currently waging an internal war between the following choices:
    >
    > Canon A80, S50, S60, G5, S410/s500
    > Kodak CX7530, DX7630
    > Sony DSC-V1, DSC-TI
    >
    > I'm liking the A80 because of price and compatibility with my current
    > CF media and multiple sets of AAs (both of which my current camera
    > uses)
    >
    > I'm liking the G5 because the battery is the same as my Canon Optura
    > 20 camcorder - which would give me 3 of them, so buying an extra one
    > isn't pointless for me.
    >
    > So the A80 4mp versus the G5 5mp when compared to my 2mp - which one,
    > and then what about the others I mentioned, like the very small s500.

    I think you will find that there is not much of a WOW factor. Unless
    you do prints up to 8x10, or larger, there won't be much difference
    visible in the average picture. You will notice a great deal of extra
    convenience, and a wider range of shooting options, and more conditions
    where pictures will be possible. In addition, you will have more
    flexibility in the cropping of pictures without losing quality in the
    print. Getting a camera with a 4-10x zoom will also improve your
    options for taking good pictures.
    Ron Hunter, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Hmm - Well I am sure that my old 2Mgpix Fuji Finepix 2600zoom takes far
    better pictures than my newish 5 Mgpix Canon S50. Be prepared to be
    disappointed!

    --
    Regards
    Ken Parkins

    Kenneth Parkins, Jun 7, 2004
  6. the6carrules

    the6carrules Guest

    > I think you will find that there is not much of a WOW factor. Unless
    > you do prints up to 8x10, or larger, there won't be much difference
    > visible in the average picture. You will notice a great deal of extra
    > convenience, and a wider range of shooting options, and more conditions
    > where pictures will be possible. In addition, you will have more
    > flexibility in the cropping of pictures without losing quality in the
    > print. Getting a camera with a 4-10x zoom will also improve your
    > options for taking good pictures.

    Are you saying that there isn't going to be much of a "wow" factor
    when comparing the 2MP camera with the 4MP-5MP, or when comparing the
    4MP with the 5MP?

    I print anything between 2x2 to 8x10 (would print larger, but current
    printer won't handle it. I suspect that if/when I buy a new printer,
    one of the requirements will be the ability to handle larger paper.)

    If I'm understanding both replies to my question, just about any 4-5
    MP camera is going to be an improvement on the larger pictures, but
    not the smaller pictures over the DC280. And if I'm the largest i'm
    going to print is an 8x10, the 4MP should be fine.....
    the6carrules, Jun 7, 2004
  7. the6carrules

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Carrules,

    I can appreciate your need for information.

    I believe, however, that a purchase of a new camera like the one you have
    noted, is really a personal choice. Noting your intentions and the reality
    of your picture taking is very wise. Some cameras, like computers, can do
    amazing things and provide you with many options. The question is will you
    really ever use them? I know I have to ask myself that question every time
    I consider something new for my computer.

    My suggestion is to review what you want to spend, then look at the cameras
    that are in that range keeping in mind what you plan to do with it. No
    sense in having a camera that is going to do things you will never use. On
    the other hand, if you see yourself growing into a new picture taking world,
    conisder the advancements and options.

    For me, the DX6490 is terrific, as is the DX7630. Both provide the latest
    in technology. What size prints etc. would you be making if any? If not
    20x30, then I would consider the DX6490 (http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6490).
    If you want to go larger and use more of the advances and advantges, review
    the DX7640 (http://www.kodak.com/go/dx7640).

    After a review and you have an interest in one or the other, let me know and
    I will be glad to share with you.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jun 7, 2004
  8. the6carrules

    Ron Hunter Guest

    the6carrules wrote:

    >>I think you will find that there is not much of a WOW factor. Unless
    >>you do prints up to 8x10, or larger, there won't be much difference
    >>visible in the average picture. You will notice a great deal of extra
    >>convenience, and a wider range of shooting options, and more conditions
    >>where pictures will be possible. In addition, you will have more
    >>flexibility in the cropping of pictures without losing quality in the
    >>print. Getting a camera with a 4-10x zoom will also improve your
    >>options for taking good pictures.

    > Are you saying that there isn't going to be much of a "wow" factor
    > when comparing the 2MP camera with the 4MP-5MP, or when comparing the
    > 4MP with the 5MP?
    >
    > I print anything between 2x2 to 8x10 (would print larger, but current
    > printer won't handle it. I suspect that if/when I buy a new printer,
    > one of the requirements will be the ability to handle larger paper.)
    >
    > If I'm understanding both replies to my question, just about any 4-5
    > MP camera is going to be an improvement on the larger pictures, but
    > not the smaller pictures over the DC280. And if I'm the largest i'm
    > going to print is an 8x10, the 4MP should be fine.....

    That is correct. Actually, a 3 mp would do up to 8x10. Other features
    may affect your choice, however.
    I find that the agressive compression in my DX6440 virtually eliminates
    any advantage offered by the 4 mp sensor over my older 2 mp camera.
    Ron Hunter, Jun 8, 2004
  9. the6carrules

    Bob Flint Guest

    On 6 Jun 2004 20:47:44 -0700, (the6carrules) wrote:

    >I was wondering - will I basically be impressed with just about any
    >4-5 megapixal camera on the market today if I were to compare it to my
    >current Kodak DC280 2 megapixal camera which is 5 years old.

    I used to have a 280, and I thought it took better pics then a cheap Olympus
    that I used to borrow. Then, I bought a Minolta Dimage7i, and the difference was
    amazing! Not just because of the greater pixels, but because of better color and
    better looking pictures. Then, I got a Nikon D70, and it's another step up in
    quality, even though the pixel count is almost the same. (6 and 5)

    It's not just the number of pixels, but color fidelity, focus, depth of field,
    noise, and other things. The more flexible the adjustments are on your camera,
    the better the pics will be, since you can adjust for more situations.

    And of course, today's sensors make the older ones look like caca! I can get
    better shots at ISO 800 with my D70 then anything with the old 280.

    I can't tell you much about the inexpensive cameras, BUT I can tell you one
    thing - one 'times 3 zoom' cam is not the same as another 'times 3 zoom'. Some
    have all the zoom capability as wide angle, in some it's telephoto, and others
    have a mix. You need to compare the actual view in the camera, not just the
    advertising!

    Bob

    Bob Flint, Jun 8, 2004
  10. the6carrules

    the6carrules Guest

    > Hmm - Well I am sure that my old 2Mgpix Fuji Finepix 2600zoom takes far
    > better pictures than my newish 5 Mgpix Canon S50. Be prepared to be
    > disappointed!

    Ken, you are sh@tting me. Seriously? So did you find that out after
    you purchased it? Do you still use the Canon S50, or do you use your
    Fuji?

    S50 was one that was getting decent reviews.

    I'm stunned that you are basically saying stick with the 2megapixel
    camera.
    the6carrules, Jun 8, 2004
  11. the6carrules

    Dave Cobb Guest

    Ron, it seems that Kodak is making real strides in digicam quality...
    however most of them still seem to be modelled after a LARGE brick.
    The LS473 seems a step in the right direction... but it's slow startup
    needs to be improved... and the camera should be made smaller yet.
    Please keep up the innovations!
    Dave Cobb, Jun 8, 2004
  12. the6carrules

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the comments, I will pass them on. Yes, the LS model is excellent
    and smaller yet. Lots of bells and whistles as well. But thanks for
    sharing your thoughts.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company