    that was announced at the same time.

    I hear the Zuiko 14-54/2.8-3.5 isn't as good as the 50-200/2.8-3.5;
    maybe this Leica will be better.
    Bill Tuthill, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Bill Tuthill

    ThomasH Guest

    On 14-Mar-06 08:57, Bill Tuthill wrote:
    > Announced at PMA, the Panasonic L1 joins the Olympus 4/3 crowd,
    > also with ultrasonic dust removal.
    >
    > What's perhaps more interesting is the Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 lens
    > that was announced at the same time.
    >
    > I hear the Zuiko 14-54/2.8-3.5 isn't as good as the 50-200/2.8-3.5;
    > maybe this Leica will be better.

    Interesting is the story "between the lines."
    The presentation of this camera and lens was
    made as a joint event with the 3 CEO's of all
    participating companies. However, during the
    stand presentation to Imaging Resources the
    Japanese presenter said something along the
    lines "we actually call this lens Leica."
    This might suggest that this is in fact a
    Panasonic designed lens, for sure the Image
    Stabilization is Panasonic technology.

    I like to use the smaller Lumix cameras with
    their 38-400 (35mm eq) zooms, its a good synergy
    of splendid optics and the image stabilization.
    I am sure that this new 4/3 Elmarit will not
    disappoint neither. Probably Leica allows to use
    name Elmarit only for products which they can
    test and verify their standard.

    Thomas
    ThomasH, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Bill Tuthill

    Rich Guest

    On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:14:09 -0800, ThomasH <> wrote:

    >On 14-Mar-06 08:57, Bill Tuthill wrote:
    >> Announced at PMA, the Panasonic L1 joins the Olympus 4/3 crowd,
    >> also with ultrasonic dust removal.
    >>
    >> What's perhaps more interesting is the Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 lens
    >> that was announced at the same time.
    >>
    >> I hear the Zuiko 14-54/2.8-3.5 isn't as good as the 50-200/2.8-3.5;
    >> maybe this Leica will be better.
    >>

    >Interesting is the story "between the lines."
    >The presentation of this camera and lens was
    >made as a joint event with the 3 CEO's of all
    >participating companies. However, during the
    >stand presentation to Imaging Resources the
    >Japanese presenter said something along the
    >lines "we actually call this lens Leica."
    >This might suggest that this is in fact a
    >Panasonic designed lens, for sure the Image
    >Stabilization is Panasonic technology.
    >
    >I like to use the smaller Lumix cameras with
    >their 38-400 (35mm eq) zooms, its a good synergy
    >of splendid optics and the image stabilization.
    >I am sure that this new 4/3 Elmarit will not
    >disappoint neither. Probably Leica allows to use
    >name Elmarit only for products which they can
    >test and verify their standard.
    >
    >Thomas

    Aside from the kit lens (maybe) people will be hard pressed to
    find reasons to pay what this thing costs, rather than getting an
    Olympus E-330 that features most of the the Leica attributes
    and an articulated LCD screen.
    Rich, Mar 14, 2006
  4. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Rich <> wrote:

    > Aside from the kit lens (maybe) people will be hard pressed to
    > find reasons to pay what this thing costs, rather than getting an
    > Olympus E-330 that features most of the the Leica attributes
    > and an articulated LCD screen.

    Exactly -- maybe buy an E-330 with Leica Elmarit 14-50/2.8-3.5
    since most photographers use a lens in this range (28-100 equivalent)
    more often than a 50-200 (100-400 crop-equivalent).

    Hopefully the Leica Elmarit 14-50/2.8-3.5 takes 67 filters to match.

    Or possibly Panasonic image stabilization will be worth the extra cost.
    Bill Tuthill, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Bill Tuthill

    Stacey Guest

    Bill Tuthill wrote:

    > I hear the Zuiko 14-54/2.8-3.5 isn't as good as the 50-200/2.8-3.5;
    > maybe this Leica will be better.

    The 14-54 is no slouch either, it's just the 50-200 is REALLY good! :)

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Mar 15, 2006