    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    http://msmvps.com/xpditif
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Christian Hougardy

    RonK Guest

    Use the Promise and make sure the promise is enabled in bios.

    RonK, Jun 4, 2005

  3. RonK wrote:
    > Use the Promise and make sure the promise is enabled in bios.

    Thank you for your answer. Doesn't work. Don't know why.
    I have the promise driver, the sata is connected, the bios is ok but no disk

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), Jun 4, 2005
  4. Christian Hougardy

    RonK Guest

    When booting go into the Promise Setup to setup the hard drive.
    After you do this and it boots into XP, right click My Computer, Manage,
    Disk Management and you can partition and format the drive.

    "Christian Hougardy (MS MVP XP)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    RonK, Jun 4, 2005
  5. RonK <> wrote:
    > When booting go into the Promise Setup to setup the hard drive.
    > After you do this and it boots into XP, right click My Computer, Manage,
    > Disk Management and you can partition and format the drive.

    Excuse me, probably I wasn't clear enough: no disk at all, it doesn't work.
    I know how to install or format a disk, but first of all, it has to be
    detected by the bios and the OS. It is not the case.

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 4, 2005
  6. Christian Hougardy <> wrote:
    > RonK <> wrote:
    >> When booting go into the Promise Setup to setup the hard drive.
    >> After you do this and it boots into XP, right click My Computer,
    >> Manage, Disk Management and you can partition and format the drive.

    > Excuse me, probably I wasn't clear enough: no disk at all, it doesn't
    > work. I know how to install or format a disk, but first of all, it
    > has to be detected by the bios and the OS. It is not the case.

    Ok, some improvement: it's working under XP32.
    First, I had a problem with the power supply.
    Second: XP detects the Promise FastTrak 378 in place of the Promise SATA378.
    Once the second one replaces the first one, it is ok.
    Third; what I need now is the Promise SATA378 Controller(AMD64) and so far I
    didn't find it....

    Any help welcome

    Thanks

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 4, 2005
  7. Christian Hougardy

    RonK Guest

    SATA drives are not detected in the bios.

    RonK, Jun 4, 2005
  8. RonK <> wrote:
    > SATA drives are not detected in the bios.

    Sure buddy, sure....
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 4, 2005
  9. Christian Hougardy

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Christian.

    Right!

    Depends on your hardware, of course. My EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo has 6 onboard SATA
    connectors. Two of them are supported by the standard nVidia nForce3 250Gb
    chipset; the other 4 are supported by the optional Silicon Image SiI3114
    chip. I've not had occasion to try the SiI connectors yet, but my one SATA
    HD (Maxtor 120 GB) is detected by the BIOS and displays on the opening
    screen when I boot. Settings for all six connectors are available in CMOS
    and, if I ever get rich enough to buy that many drives, I expect they all
    will be detected by the BIOS if those settings are correct.

    Now, if the SATA controller were on an add-in PCI card, I would not expect
    the mobo BIOS to recognize their drives. My SCSI HD is detected only after
    the SCSI BIOS on the add-in Adaptec host adapter is loaded - on the second
    page as the computer is booting. (In fact, my Adaptec AHA-2930U2 is not yet
    supported in 64-bit Windows - which is why I'm retiring it and installing
    the new SATA as my main boot device.)

    You've not yet told us much about your hardware, Christian. What make and
    model mobo? Any SATA built in? Or do you have SATA only on one or more
    add-in cards? The answer to your original question depends on that
    information.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 4, 2005
  10. R. C. White <> wrote:
    > Hi, Christian.
    >
    > Right!

    (snip)

    Hi RC

    Sorry for not telling about my mobo.
    It's a A8V Deluxe, with two via sata and two promise sata. All the sata's
    are detected by the bios during setup.
    I can see the 5 disks (3 sata and 2 ide)
    In Win32bit, the promise uses the SATA378 controller, not the Fasttrack378
    Controller. Because the promise are not in raid but are acting as IDE. So, I
    assume I need the same driver with x64, in 64bit of course and I can't find
    it.

    Thank you

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 5, 2005