    should end up killing the lower end of the market (disposable cameras).
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Alfred Molon

    Andrew Guest

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:22:47 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >By 2005 camera phones with 2-3 MP should hit the market. That's
    >sufficient resolution for prints up to A4 size. And that will probably
    >accellerate even further the death of film, as these camera phones
    >should end up killing the lower end of the market (disposable cameras).

    I would have thought it would be a question of whether the tiny lenses
    will do justice to that resolution.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

    Andrew, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Alfred Molon

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > By 2005 camera phones with 2-3 MP should hit the market. That's
    > sufficient resolution for prints up to A4 size. And that will probably
    > accellerate even further the death of film, as these camera phones
    > should end up killing the lower end of the market (disposable cameras).

    I really, really doubt it.
    The chips are still relatively expensive, and a lens that can do 2-3MP
    is quite physically large, heavy and expensive.

    Not to mention that the very low end of the CMOS imager market has very
    poor noise properties, and combined with the tiny size of the cheap sensors
    adds up to utterly horrible low-light performance.
    And adding a flash just makes things worse, as you need a large flash
    capacitor, as well as a beefier power supply for the phone.

    It's going to be some time before we see true 2-3Mp digital cameras at
    no premium over 0.1Mp ones.

    Ian Stirling, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Alfred Molon

    George Guest

    It might not go that way at all...there is a LOT of corporate backlash at
    camera phones and privacy concerns in gyms, etc. Could be that people won't
    want to buy and carry two different phones for different situations...

    George

    George, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Alfred Molon

    Jack Guest

    "Ian Stirling" <> wrote in message
    > Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > > By 2005 camera phones with 2-3 MP should hit the market. That's
    > > sufficient resolution for prints up to A4 size. And that will probably
    > > accellerate even further the death of film, as these camera phones
    > > should end up killing the lower end of the market (disposable cameras).

    > I really, really doubt it.
    > The chips are still relatively expensive, and a lens that can do 2-3MP
    > is quite physically large, heavy and expensive.

    There are companies which have announced plans to have inexpensive sensors
    for this market by that time.
    The lenses are tiny, light and cheap. Maybe a few millimeters in diameter.
    Fixed focus and mounted in an assembly with the sensor. I can't imagine the
    whole thing costing more than 10 or 20 dollars at the most. (this is the
    price the OEM would pay for the part. Not what you pay). Look in
    publications like EETimes to see some examples.

    > Not to mention that the very low end of the CMOS imager market has very
    > poor noise properties, and combined with the tiny size of the cheap

    sensors
    > adds up to utterly horrible low-light performance.
    > And adding a flash just makes things worse, as you need a large flash
    > capacitor, as well as a beefier power supply for the phone.

    It is not about ultimate quality. It is about convenience. Who cares if the
    result is no better than an instamatic?

    > It's going to be some time before we see true 2-3Mp digital cameras at
    > no premium over 0.1Mp ones.

    Sure there will be a premium at least for a year or so. After that the 0.1Mp
    ones will be obsolete and unavailable at any price.

    -Jack

    Jack, Apr 9, 2004
  6. "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > By 2005 camera phones with 2-3 MP should hit the market. That's
    > sufficient resolution for prints up to A4 size. And that will probably
    > accellerate even further the death of film, as these camera phones
    > should end up killing the lower end of the market (disposable cameras).

    That may already be happening in Japan, where everyone* around me has a
    phone with a built-in camera. These things even have rudimentary editing
    programs BUILT IN that allow you to build composite images (although it's
    only pasting canned graphics over a photograph). Although the video camera
    phones are making still camera phones passe.

    *: I'm still in the refuse to buy a cell phone mode. My informal estimate is
    that I'm joined in that mode by less than 1% of the Japanese population over
    the age of 12.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 9, 2004