    Big Bird Guest

    If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
    much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

    Big Bird, Nov 15, 2007

  2. Big Bird

    Tim Guest

    Big Bird wrote:
    > If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
    > much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

    You can put SIP down a different port number.

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 15, 2007

  3. Big Bird

    alexd Guest

    Big Bird wrote:

    > If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
    > much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

    You may be able to encrypt and tunnel over, eg, port 443 [HTTPS] if you can
    get the right software at each end.

    http://s2putty.sourceforge.net/

    However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over SSH
    [TCP]. Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
    your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    14:38:51 up 4 days, 3:16, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.24, 0.25

    alexd, Nov 15, 2007
  4. In article <>, alexd <> wrote:
    >Big Bird wrote:
    >
    >> If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
    >> much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

    >You may be able to encrypt and tunnel over, eg, port 443 [HTTPS] if you can
    >get the right software at each end.
    >
    >http://s2putty.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over SSH
    >[TCP]. Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
    >your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

    You can use a differnt port with the E90, I'd guess the N95 might be
    similar, but then you need a remote server which will accept SIP data on
    something other than the standard port (5060).

    And you can't port-forward under putty under symbian either, so
    tunnelling data that way isn't gonig to work.

    I've not been able to make my E90 make a VoIP call via anything other
    than Wi-Fi though - maybe there's a setting I've not found yet though!

    And I'd like to think there might one-day be an IAX client for symbian,
    but I'm not holding my breath!!!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 15, 2007
  5. Big Bird

    Big Bird Guest

    * Tim wrote:
    > Big Bird wrote:
    >> If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
    >> much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

    > You can put SIP down a different port number.

    Only if Sipgate (or other VoIP provider) ran their servers on the same
    different port. And those that do run on the non-Well-known-port
    numbers probably get blocked all the same, it just takes longer for the
    networks to realise.

    Big Bird, Nov 15, 2007
  6. Big Bird

    Big Bird Guest

    * alexd wrote:
    > However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over SSH
    > [TCP].

    Supposedly a very bad thing to tunnel UDP via TCP. But I had found
    UDPTunnel:

    http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~lennox/udptunnel/

    > Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
    > your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

    I have access to a box on the net that could act as the end point for a
    TCP tunnel to forward UDP traffic. You might even be able to do it using
    OpenVPN?! But the main impetus is getting something to work that doesn't
    involve to much funky shizzle on my phone and enables me to use the
    nicely integrated VoIP/SIP stack built into the phone.

    There is one other option. I hear if I upgrade my HSDPA to the Max
    packaged then the VoIP restrictions are removed. Aren't mobile telcos
    nice people?

    Big Bird, Nov 15, 2007
  7. Big Bird

    alexd Guest

    Big Bird wrote:

    > * alexd wrote:
    >> However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over
    >> SSH
    >> [TCP].

    > Supposedly a very bad thing to tunnel UDP via TCP. But I had found
    > UDPTunnel:
    >
    > http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~lennox/udptunnel/
    >
    >> Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
    >> your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

    > I have access to a box on the net that could act as the end point for a
    > TCP tunnel to forward UDP traffic. You might even be able to do it using
    > OpenVPN?!

    I did search for an OpenVPN client, but it looks like there's none for S60
    as yet.

    > But the main impetus is getting something to work that doesn't
    > involve to much funky shizzle on my phone and enables me to use the
    > nicely integrated VoIP/SIP stack built into the phone.

    You can be sure that the stuff that doesn't involve faffing about will be
    the first to be blocked or impeded in some way ["160-byte UDP packets on
    high ports seem get lost and delayed at random? We've got no idea what
    you're talking about, sir"].

    > There is one other option. I hear if I upgrade my HSDPA to the Max
    > packaged then the VoIP restrictions are removed. Aren't mobile telcos
    > nice people?

    You seem to have mis-spelt "a bunch of twats".

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:40:07 up 4 days, 6:18, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.24, 0.22

    alexd, Nov 15, 2007
  8. Big Bird

    alexd Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > You can use a differnt port with the E90, I'd guess the N95 might be
    > similar, but then you need a remote server which will accept SIP data on
    > something other than the standard port (5060).
    >
    > And you can't port-forward under putty under symbian either, so
    > tunnelling data that way isn't gonig to work.
    >
    > I've not been able to make my E90 make a VoIP call via anything other
    > than Wi-Fi though - maybe there's a setting I've not found yet though!
    >
    > And I'd like to think there might one-day be an IAX client for symbian,
    > but I'm not holding my breath!!!

    There's one for Windows Mobile, so it's not that unlikely. I would have
    thought that Digium would have an interest in writing one, as it would be a
    pretty good USP for Asterisk - I am aware of no other PBX has a Symbian
    softphone [other than SIP]. They could even integrate an OpenVPN client
    into it! Of course all this will be academic when the gPhone hits the
    market.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:47:30 up 4 days, 6:25, 1 user, load average: 0.53, 0.37, 0.27

    alexd, Nov 15, 2007
  9. In article <>, alexd <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> You can use a differnt port with the E90, I'd guess the N95 might be
    >> similar, but then you need a remote server which will accept SIP data on
    >> something other than the standard port (5060).
    >>
    >> And you can't port-forward under putty under symbian either, so
    >> tunnelling data that way isn't gonig to work.
    >>
    >> I've not been able to make my E90 make a VoIP call via anything other
    >> than Wi-Fi though - maybe there's a setting I've not found yet though!
    >>
    >> And I'd like to think there might one-day be an IAX client for symbian,
    >> but I'm not holding my breath!!!

    >There's one for Windows Mobile, so it's not that unlikely. I would have
    >thought that Digium would have an interest in writing one, as it would be a
    >pretty good USP for Asterisk - I am aware of no other PBX has a Symbian
    >softphone [other than SIP]. They could even integrate an OpenVPN client
    >into it! Of course all this will be academic when the gPhone hits the
    >market.

    I did email the people behind IDEFISK (Now Zoiper) one upon a time and
    they didn't flatly say no, but I suspect it would take a lot of serious
    interest to get them to do it... But rather than the gPhone, have you
    seen the OpenMoko project? http://www.openmoko.org/ that looks very
    promising... I do like and use most of the features on my E90 though.
    (Anyone know anyone in the South West who can print 2D barcodes on vinyl
    labels???)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 16, 2007
  10. Big Bird

    alexd Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > I did email the people behind IDEFISK (Now Zoiper) one upon a time and
    > they didn't flatly say no, but I suspect it would take a lot of serious
    > interest to get them to do it... But rather than the gPhone, have you
    > seen the OpenMoko project? http://www.openmoko.org/ that looks very
    > promising...

    I have looked at that, but I suspect that gPhones will be cheaper, more
    numerous and more widely supported than OpenMoko phones, leading to a more
    enjoyable hacking experience. I'm currently using a Nokia 6310i - it's
    pretty much the pinnacle of mobile phone evolution, IMHO. Everything else
    since has been a waste of weight, time or battery life.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    12:45:44 up 5 days, 1:23, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.06, 0.07

    alexd, Nov 16, 2007