    reception if I attached a 6 foot length of thin wire to the small antenna
    and extended it around the room the router is in?
    Just a thought.

    Pipex, May 30, 2005

  2. Pipex

    Liam Guest

    "Pipex" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I keep getting a dropped connection when there is more that 1 laptop
    >wirelessly connecting to the router. Do anyone know if it would improve
    >reception if I attached a 6 foot length of thin wire to the small antenna
    >and extended it around the room the router is in?
    > Just a thought.

    No that will not help. What you are experiencing is not a "reception"
    problem.

    The problem is that the 3Com router is a piece of crap. I have one and
    regularly experience the same problem you describe. It is (usually) unable
    to cope with more than one wireless client at a time.

    I am currently looking at alternatives, although I don't know if other
    consumer grade wireless routers have the same issues as the rubbish from
    3Com.

    Maybe others can relate their experiences with equipment from other
    manufacturers?

    Liam, May 30, 2005

  3. "Liam" <> wrote in message

    > "Pipex" <> wrote in message
    >>I keep getting a dropped connection when there is more that 1 laptop
    >>wirelessly connecting to the router. Do anyone know if it would improve
    >>reception if I attached a 6 foot length of thin wire to the small antenna
    >>and extended it around the room the router is in?
    >> Just a thought.
    >>

    > No that will not help. What you are experiencing is not a "reception"
    > problem.
    >
    > The problem is that the 3Com router is a piece of crap. I have one and
    > regularly experience the same problem you describe. It is (usually) unable
    > to cope with more than one wireless client at a time.
    >
    > I am currently looking at alternatives, although I don't know if other
    > consumer grade wireless routers have the same issues as the rubbish from
    > 3Com.
    >
    > Maybe others can relate their experiences with equipment from other
    > manufacturers?

    To balance your criticism of the 3com router, I have a 3com ADSL router
    (3CRWE754G72) that has performed without problems for the past two years.
    Perhaps it is time to look at other sources for your problem.

    Edward W. Thompson, May 31, 2005
  4. Pipex

    Clark Guest

    Are you using DHCP to set up the wireless addresses? Have you made enough
    of them available?

    Try it with the laptops fairly close to the router to eliminate the
    reception possibility. You might go into exactly you have your system set
    up.

    Clark

    Clark, May 31, 2005
  5. Pipex

    Geoff Guest

    Yes I'm using DHCP and have sufficient wireless addresses. I use it usually
    without any problems when its just me with my laptop connected and my
    desktop connected by an ethernet cable, but when my son comes home and logs
    on with his laptop I loose the connection. Not all the time, in fact we both
    can be connected for several hours. The main problem is I have the message
    'acquiring network address'. The only way around it is to restart the router
    then it connects fine.
    Anyone else experienced this?

    Geoff, May 31, 2005
  6. Pipex

    Liam Guest

    "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Yes I'm using DHCP and have sufficient wireless addresses. I use it
    > usually without any problems when its just me with my laptop connected and
    > my desktop connected by an ethernet cable, but when my son comes home and
    > logs on with his laptop I loose the connection. Not all the time, in fact
    > we both can be connected for several hours. The main problem is I have the
    > message 'acquiring network address'. The only way around it is to restart
    > the router then it connects fine.
    > Anyone else experienced this?
    >
    > "Clark" <> wrote in message
    >> Are you using DHCP to set up the wireless addresses? Have you made
    >> enough of them available?
    >>
    >> Try it with the laptops fairly close to the router to eliminate the
    >> reception possibility. You might go into exactly you have your system
    >> set up.
    >>
    >> Clark

    Exactly the same here, DHCP and usually one wired and one wireless
    connection. However, when anyone comes round and wants to connect a notebook
    wirelessly, or I try to use my PDA to connect, then the problems will
    eventually start. The only solution is to disconnect all but the most
    essential (at the time) wireless client, or restart the router which will
    correct the problem for a while. This is hardly the way I would expect to
    use a wireless network. It seems that the 3Com wireless gets overloaded with
    more than one client. Their product description claims it will support many
    more than this; can't remember the exact figure 128 springs to mind. I would
    be content with a reliable 2!

    I have done all the firmware updates (currently 1.29, the latest from 3Com)
    and am thinking of going back through the older versions to see if I can
    find a more stable one. But really I have run out of patience with this
    paperweight, and was thinking of going for one of the Draytek Vigor series.
    They are considerably more expensive than the 3Com, but I suppose you gets
    what you pays for.

    Would anyone have any opinions on the Draytek Vigor series, say the 2600G or
    2600VG?

    TIA

    Liam

    Liam, May 31, 2005
  7. Pipex

    Geoff Guest

    Liam,
    I upgraded the firmware to 1.29 and that's when the troubles started. I
    think the previous version installed, which was on it when I bought it, was
    1.24 and I had no problems with that version.
    I contacted 3Com support and asked if it was OK to install older versions of
    the firmware, they said it should be but they would not recommend it.
    If you go ahead and find a older version that works could you let me know.
    Thanks,
    Geoff

    Geoff, Jun 5, 2005
  8. Pipex

    Liam Guest

    "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Liam,
    > I upgraded the firmware to 1.29 and that's when the troubles started. I
    > think the previous version installed, which was on it when I bought it,
    > was 1.24 and I had no problems with that version.
    > I contacted 3Com support and asked if it was OK to install older versions
    > of the firmware, they said it should be but they would not recommend it.
    > If you go ahead and find a older version that works could you let me know.
    > Thanks,
    > Geoff

    Hi Geoff,

    There was a cautionary note on their website that after 1.29 is installed,
    no previous saved configurations can be restored. I think by that they mean
    the config.bin file that is exported whenever you save a configuration; all
    that will be required will be to configure all the settings from scratch.

    But I don't think reverting to earlier firmware will do any harm. It is not
    as if there are any functional differences between the different versions
    (and I have tried them all).

    I intend to try this when I get the inclination, hopefully sometime this
    week, although I can't remember what version was on mine when I bought it,
    and if the wireless DHCP problem was present or as bad then.

    Whenever I do get around to downgrading I will post my findings, although I
    expect it would take at least a week afterwards to really test it out.

    Liam

    Liam, Jun 5, 2005
  9. Pipex

    Liam Guest

    "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Liam,
    > I upgraded the firmware to 1.29 and that's when the troubles started. I
    > think the previous version installed, which was on it when I bought it,
    > was 1.24 and I had no problems with that version.
    > I contacted 3Com support and asked if it was OK to install older versions
    > of the firmware, they said it should be but they would not recommend it.
    > If you go ahead and find a older version that works could you let me know.
    > Thanks,
    > Geoff

    Geoff and all,

    Just went to the 3Com website to collect all the earlier firmware versions,
    lo and behold there is a new one there now, 1.31. But all it says that it
    fixes is a country selection problem with 1.2x versions, so I probably won't
    even bother trying it as 3Com seem to have their heads firmly up their arses
    as far as the wireless performance of this router goes.

    And the more I think about faffing about with firmware, the more I might be
    inclined to just go and get a decent wireless AP, and use that instead with
    the 3Com wireless off (still using the router and DSL modem though).

    But if I do go ahead with the firmware experiments I will post the results.

    Liam

    Liam, Jun 5, 2005
  10. Pipex

    Geoff Guest

    Thanks for the info Liam, I'll try the 1.31 version. I'm sure you are right
    and it shouldn't make any difference but looking at the changes from the
    previous versions that should have created a problem either but it did! So
    they make snick in bug fixes without documenting them (as a retired systems
    developer I used to do it all the time!).
    I'll let you know the outcome of the upgrade
    Geoff

    Geoff, Jun 6, 2005
  11. Pipex

    Geoff Guest

    Liam and anyone else interested,
    I downloaded 1.31 and low and behold the following entry appears in the
    accompanying text file

    " Software Release V1.31
    This version of software fixes the following bugs:
    1. Update NTP time server table entries with valid working servers
    2. Removed IP conflict error message when Firewall is on and that NAT is
    off"

    No mention of country settings! I've installed this version but haven't
    tried it yet, will let you know how I get on.
    Geoff

    "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the info Liam, I'll try the 1.31 version. I'm sure you are
    > right and it shouldn't make any difference but looking at the changes from
    > the previous versions that should have created a problem either but it
    > did! So they make snick in bug fixes without documenting them (as a
    > retired systems developer I used to do it all the time!).
    > I'll let you know the outcome of the upgrade
    > Geoff
    > "Liam" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    >>> Liam,
    >>> I upgraded the firmware to 1.29 and that's when the troubles started. I
    >>> think the previous version installed, which was on it when I bought it,
    >>> was 1.24 and I had no problems with that version.
    >>> I contacted 3Com support and asked if it was OK to install older
    >>> versions of the firmware, they said it should be but they would not
    >>> recommend it.
    >>> If you go ahead and find a older version that works could you let me
    >>> know.
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Geoff

    Geoff, Jun 6, 2005
  12. Pipex

    Liam Guest

    "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Liam and anyone else interested,
    > I downloaded 1.31 and low and behold the following entry appears in the
    > accompanying text file
    >
    > " Software Release V1.31
    > This version of software fixes the following bugs:
    > 1. Update NTP time server table entries with valid working servers
    > 2. Removed IP conflict error message when Firewall is on and that NAT is
    > off"
    >
    > No mention of country settings! I've installed this version but haven't
    > tried it yet, will let you know how I get on.
    > Geoff
    >

    > "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the info Liam, I'll try the 1.31 version. I'm sure you are
    >> right and it shouldn't make any difference but looking at the changes
    >> from the previous versions that should have created a problem either but
    >> it did! So they make snick in bug fixes without documenting them (as a
    >> retired systems developer I used to do it all the time!).
    >> I'll let you know the outcome of the upgrade
    >> Geoff

    Geoff,

    That bug-fix list is the same as in the previous couple of versions, so they
    mustn't be bothering to update the release notes apart from the version
    number in the title.

    I downgraded to 1.24 today but likewise haven't really put it through a good
    stress test yet. I will report back with findings.

    Liam

    Liam, Jun 6, 2005
  13. Pipex

    Liam Guest

    Re: 3Com... conclusion

    > Geoff,
    >
    > That bug-fix list is the same as in the previous couple of versions, so
    > they mustn't be bothering to update the release notes apart from the
    > version number in the title.
    >
    > I downgraded to 1.24 today but likewise haven't really put it through a
    > good stress test yet. I will report back with findings.
    >
    > Liam

    Well...

    I tried going back to 1.24; no good. So against my gut feeling I upgraded to
    the latest 1.31 version. What a waste of time that was. So as I said in the
    subject line, I have now come to my conclusion:

    The 3Com 3CRWE754G72-A OfficeConnect 11g ADSL Firewall Router or whatever,
    IS INCAPABLE of reliably supporting more than one simultaneous wireless
    client.

    If anyone is thinking of buying one of these, DON'T. Mine will be soldiering
    on for the time being until I work out what should replace it. Favourites at
    the moment are Draytek (although a bit expensive for me) and Buffalo (very
    good reports about this brand); opinions on these, particularly Buffalo,
    would be appreciated.

    The 3Com will be cannibalised to see if it contains a mini-PCI 11g card,
    which will find a good home in a notebook. The rest of it will probably be
    almost as useless as it is now, so will likely end up in the bin.

    That just about sums up my experience of 3Com. It just goes to show how you
    can fall for a reputable name, only to find out later that they are
    producing shíte.

    Geoff, I am still interested to know how you get on with 1.31, but I think I
    already know the answer to that!

    L8R

    Liam

    Liam, Jun 8, 2005
  14. Pipex

    Geoff Guest

    Re: 3Com... conclusion

    Hi Liam,
    Thanks for all the communication on this. Yes I'm afraid my experiences are
    identical to yours. 1.31 is exactly the same as the previous versions. We
    can get two wireless connections working for a short time, about an hour,
    before having to restart the router.
    My son is using a Dlink wireless router at his university and there are
    about 6 of them online with no problems.
    I agree 3Com are a pile of crap. By the way, I wrote to 3Com at the
    following address about the firmware some months ago and they said there
    were no known issues with their firmware! The email address the replay came
    from was:

    I intend writing to them one last time and telling them it just doesn't
    work.
    Regards,
    Geoff

    Geoff, Jun 8, 2005
  15. Pipex

    Liam Guest

    Re: 3Com... conclusion

    Hi Geoff,

    Thanks also for your assistance in beta testing 3Com firmware. Good idea to
    communicate to them what you think, I might do the same myself when I get
    back at the weekend.

    If you are going to sound off to them, it could be an idea to quote this
    thread in your correspondence. But you might want to go back through the
    posts, as I may have used a few expletives that you wouldn't want to repeat
    to 3Com!

    If I email them I will be quoting it, with your permission of course.

    Best regards,

    Liam

    Liam, Jun 8, 2005