3Com Netbuilder question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Chris O, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Chris O

    Chris O Guest

    Sounds as though as soon as the port sees the ring indicate the port sends
    some data out and as the modem is still presumably in command mode at this
    stage the characters are echoed back to the port which is interpreting them
    as input and probably saying the input is in error which is echoed back and
    so on
    Lots of modems won't answer if they are seeing data from the attached DTE.
    Have you tried setting Echo off and disable result codes (at the 3Com end)?

    You could also try posting to comp.dcom.modems

    Chris O

    "Sutto" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I know this is Cisco group, but there doesn't seem to be a great deal

    [nil]
    > groups supporting 3Com gear so hopefully someone here can help...
    >
    > I'm using a NetBuilder 2 router and trying to provide remote management

    via
    > a modem attached to the console (no AUX port).
    >
    > When the router is first powered up, everything works fine. The router

    takes
    > over 2 minutes to boot and in that time, I can dial then hang up, and

    repeat
    > this several times. This proves the modem cable and console port are fine.
    > Once the router is fully booted however, the console seems to talk to the
    > modem in such away that it rendered the modem useless and can no longer
    > answer calls.
    >
    > I've used an RS-232 break-out box to check out what happens. The router
    > fully boots and everything seems OK. If the modem remains idle then

    nothing
    > happens. Once I try to dial in, I can see that as soon as the modem rings
    > once (following pin 22 - RI (Ring Indicator)), the RX and TX LEDS light up
    > and seem to be flashing at a high rate as though a large transfer of data,
    > and the modem keeps on ringing and won't answer. Resetting the modem

    doesn't
    > change the behaviour. It seems to me like that once the router has fully
    > booted, it has some type of modem awareness (kinda like Cisco's modemcap
    > functionality) which ain't working the way it should.
    >
    > The only way to clear this problem is to reboot the router.
    >
    > I have not had this working before so I can't offer any more base info

    that
    > this post (ie: dunno if it works at all...). I have tried it 3 different
    > 3Com's and they all do the same thing...
    >
    > I checked the 3Com site, the only relevant info was they provide a wiring
    > diagram to create the correct cable for the job, which sorta indicates

    that
    > this has been done before. I've confirmed that the cable is correct and
    > working properly. The modem is a USR 56K faxmodem.
    >
    > I have 75 sites that I need to be able to support remotely.
    >
    > If anyone can offer any 3Com wisdom I'd be extremely greatful...
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Sutto

    ---

    Chris O, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Chris O

    oTTo Guest

    Hi Sutto,

    Place your modem in a dumb mode, modem doesn't react to AT commands any more
    until inverse order off input.

    You can try 9600 8N1;

    AT E0 echo off
    AT Q1 result codes modem off
    AT &W write to memory

    Regards,

    oTTo

    Sutto, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Chris O

    d Guest

    All,

    Thanks for this info, it has helped me out greatly.

    Cheers
    Darren

    d, Oct 28, 2003