3Com aims for the 10-Gigabit future

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bill, May 15, 2004.

  1. bill

    bill Guest

    while nz is still in the 56k land...

    Forget Gigabit Ethernet, 3Com has set its sights on 10-Gigabit for the
    near future by including and expansion slot on their switches for
    future implementation of 10GbE:

    With this week's launch of a family of network switches, 3Com is
    gearing up for the days when desktop connections of 1 gigabit per
    second are the norm.

    The SuperStack 3 Switch 3870 family is the first line of stackable
    Gigabit Ethernet switches to include a built-in 10-Gigabit expansion
    slot, according to 3Com.

    The new line is aimed at companies that need a Gigabit Ethernet switch
    today but want the option of making the jump to 10-Gigabit Ethernet in
    the future without having to replace their switches.

    Marlborough, Mass.-based 3Com says the expansion slot brings added
    scalability to a company's network. If utilized, it gives workers
    faster connectivity at their desks than would be the case with a 1gbps
    or 100mbps switch. A 10-Gigabit Ethernet switch can be used to provide
    10 simultaneous 1gbps connections from individual desktops to internal
    systems such as mail and file servers.

    bill, May 15, 2004

  2. bill

    brundlefly Guest

    "bill" <> wrote in message
    > while nz is still in the 56k land...
    >
    > Forget Gigabit Ethernet, 3Com has set its sights on 10-Gigabit for the
    > near future by including and expansion slot on their switches for
    > future implementation of 10GbE:

    I think you have your head a bit far up your arse, bill
    Gigabit ethernet is available from most vendors.

    brundlefly, May 15, 2004

  3. bill

    Gib Bogle Guest

    bill wrote:

    > Marlborough, Mass.-based 3Com says the expansion slot brings added
    > scalability to a company's network. If utilized, it gives workers
    > faster connectivity at their desks than would be the case with a 1gbps
    > or 100mbps switch. A 10-Gigabit Ethernet switch can be used to provide
    > 10 simultaneous 1gbps connections from individual desktops to internal
    > systems such as mail and file servers.

    The might be enough to keep up with the spam traffic.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, May 16, 2004
  4. bill wrote:
    > while nz is still in the 56k land...

    ummm the story was talking about network connections, not internet
    connections(at least as far as I could be bothered reading).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 16, 2004
  5. bill

    Don Gould Guest

    The hint that was/is being made is that this technology can be used in
    the local loop.

    There was quite a bit of conversation about setting up 100mbit local
    loop systems with 1gbit back bones over xmas this year.

    Think outside of your office :)

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 16, 2004
  6. Don Gould wrote:
    > The hint that was/is being made is that this technology can be used in
    > the local loop.
    > There was quite a bit of conversation about setting up 100mbit local

    oh ok, well, yeah, whoop de doo, like any of us have the inclination to
    set something like this us.

    > Think outside of your office :)

    my office has GBe now :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 17, 2004
  7. bill

    Don Gould Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > oh ok, well, yeah, whoop de doo, like any of us have the inclination to
    > set something like this us.

    Yes. Most people see very little value in internet and are more than
    happy with 56k especially now that ISPs are doing something to protect
    them from spam and virus.

    No much need for anything past 56k now.

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 17, 2004
  8. > >> while nz is still in the 56k land...

    > > ummm the story was talking about network connections, not internet
    > > connections(at least as far as I could be bothered reading).

    > The hint that was/is being made is that this technology can be used in
    > the local loop.
    >
    > There was quite a bit of conversation about setting up 100mbit local
    > loop systems with 1gbit back bones over xmas this year.
    >
    > Think outside of your office :)

    the NICs are here http://www.small-tree.com

    trouble is I haven't got use for more than 1G at the moment,
    a couple of HDTV channels in + out with 7.1 sound...

    J.Random Luser, May 17, 2004
  9. bill

    Don Gould Guest

    J.Random Luser wrote:

    >>>ummm the story was talking about network connections, not internet
    >>>connections(at least as far as I could be bothered reading).

    >>The hint that was/is being made is that this technology can be used in
    >>the local loop.
    >>
    >>There was quite a bit of conversation about setting up 100mbit local
    >>loop systems with 1gbit back bones over xmas this year.
    >>
    >>Think outside of your office :)

    > the NICs are here http://www.small-tree.com
    >
    > trouble is I haven't got use for more than 1G at the moment,
    > a couple of HDTV channels in + out with 7.1 sound...

    Some fantastic technology there!

    Imagine a community network built with that sort of technology!

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 17, 2004