    Hence I can't configure the 3COM wireless adapter with my encryption key..
    etc.. etc..
    Thanks in advance - David R.

    IrelandDave, Apr 2, 2008

  2. IrelandDave

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 2, 3:01 pm, IrelandDave <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have installed the above Wireless adapter on my PC which is Gateway G6-350
    > - running Windows 98 SE.
    > Problem is - when I click on the 3COM icon (which I have placed on my
    > desktop) - it opens only for about two seconds and then closes again. No
    > matter how many times, I try the result is the same.. Any ideas ? even when I
    > right click on the 3COM icon and click open the result is the same ..
    > Hence I can't configure the 3COM wireless adapter with my encryption key..
    > etc.. etc..
    > Thanks in advance - David R.

    As with all wireless adapters, you can only run either the included
    utilities (3COM icon) or Microsoft's Wireless Zero Configuration. You
    can not run both at the same time. Check on Services and see if
    Wireless Zero Configuration service is started.

    smlunatick, Apr 2, 2008

  3. IrelandDave

    Pavel A. Guest

    "IrelandDave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have installed the above Wireless adapter on my PC which is Gateway
    > G6-350
    > - running Windows 98 SE.
    > Problem is - when I click on the 3COM icon (which I have placed on my
    > desktop) - it opens only for about two seconds and then closes again. No
    > matter how many times, I try the result is the same.. Any ideas ? even
    > when I
    > right click on the 3COM icon and click open the result is the same ..
    > Hence I can't configure the 3COM wireless adapter with my encryption key..
    > etc.. etc..
    > Thanks in advance - David R.

    There is a good news for you...
    Win98 is no longer supported by MS and most wireless hardware vendors,
    so you can updrade your laptop to Linux and live happily ...

    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 3, 2008
  4. IrelandDave

    IrelandDave Guest

    Thanks for your reply but Sorry, I am running Windows 98 adn I can't seem to
    find a services folder? I know where it is on Windows 2000 but win98 does not
    seem to have the same folder> Any more ideas?

    IrelandDave, Apr 3, 2008
  5. IrelandDave

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 3, 2:22 pm, IrelandDave <>
    wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply but Sorry, I am running Windows 98 adn I can't seem to
    > find a services folder? I know where it is on Windows 2000 but win98 does not
    > seem to have the same folder> Any more ideas?
    >

    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Apr 2, 3:01 pm, IrelandDave <>
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi,

    > > > I have installed the above Wireless adapter on my PC which is Gateway G6-350
    > > > - running Windows 98 SE.
    > > > Problem is - when I click on the 3COM icon (which I have placed on my
    > > > desktop) - it opens only for about two seconds and then closes again. No
    > > > matter how many times, I try the result is the same.. Any ideas ? even when I
    > > > right click on the 3COM icon and click open the result is the same ..
    > > > Hence I can't configure the 3COM wireless adapter with my encryption key..
    > > > etc.. etc..
    > > > Thanks in advance - David R.

    > > As with all wireless adapters, you can only run either the included
    > > utilities (3COM icon) or Microsoft's Wireless Zero Configuration.  You
    > > can not run both at the same time.  Check on Services and see if
    > > Wireless Zero Configuration service is started.- Hide quoted text -

    Sorry, I missed the fact that you were using Windows 98. Sadly, any
    new devices you add to your PC might not be usable in Windows 98 since
    Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Since Microsoft no
    longer supports Windows 98, every other hardware / software
    manufacturer will not provide support for Windows 98 either.

    smlunatick, Apr 3, 2008
  6. There is no "Services" in Windows 98 in the same way.
    There is no Zero Configuration Utility either,...or even anything similar.
    Wireless Networking barely existed when Windows 98 was around and most of it
    then was in the form of Microwave Bridges and Repeaters,...and it didn't run
    on Windows 98, it ran on dedicated hardware in the form of Appliances.

    About all you can do is uninstall the 3COM software and reinstall it.

    If it still doesn't work you will probably have to contact 3COM,...good luck
    with that,...and then after you tell them you are running Windows 98,...good
    luck with that, too.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Apr 3, 2008
  7. IrelandDave

    IrelandDave Guest

    Thank you (all) for the suggestions -

    I have decided to bite the bullit and upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional.
    Hopefully that will answer my prayers, I'll drop back here and let ye all
    know what happens next!

    IrelandDave, Apr 9, 2008
  8. IrelandDave

    > Thank you (all) for the suggestions -
    >
    > I have decided to bite the bullit and upgrade to Windows 2000
    > Professional.
    > Hopefully that will answer my prayers, I'll drop back here and let ye all
    > know what happens next!

    We can guess what happens next. Win2k is close to end-of-life as well...
    and it lacks the wireless features added in XP and (yikes!) Vista.
    So Linux is your best *free* friend :)

    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 9, 2008
  9. IrelandDave

    Ireland Dave Guest

    Ok, I did two things - 1. Rerolled the PC and installed Wondows 2000. 2/
    Bought a Wireless adapter for €10.00 from Hong Kong. It now works...Thanks
    again for your comments.

    Ireland Dave, Apr 22, 2008