    notebook to the desktop it copies ok but during the process it will
    disconnect me and say something about the network not found, but when I go
    into the notebook through the network neighbour I can access the files ok.
    Clayton, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Clayton

    Liam Guest

    "Clayton" <> wrote in message
    news:ejBQs7%...
    >I have this wireless router and when I try to transfer a 6GB folder from a
    >notebook to the desktop it copies ok but during the process it will
    >disconnect me and say something about the network not found, but when I go
    >into the notebook through the network neighbour I can access the files ok.

    I have one too. It's a cráp router as far as wireless is concerned. I have
    experienced the above, along with corrupted files transferred wirelessly,
    can't reliably handle more than one wireless client at a time, etc. etc.

    My first (and last) 3com router.

    Anyone got any suggestions for an all-in-one replacement i.e. 802.11g,
    router, firewall and ADSL modem in one box? (Not anything by 3com obviously)

    TIA

    Liam
    Liam, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Clayton

    JoeT Guest

    "Liam" <> wrote in message

    > Anyone got any suggestions for an all-in-one replacement i.e. 802.11g,
    > router, firewall and ADSL modem in one box? (Not anything by 3com
    > obviously)

    I'd recommend you stay clear of the router with modem in one box and go for
    a router/wireless and seperate modem. Specifically because anything that has
    a modem in it will likely not have user flashable firmware.
    JoeT, Mar 15, 2005
  4. "JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message

    > "Liam" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Anyone got any suggestions for an all-in-one replacement i.e. 802.11g,
    >> router, firewall and ADSL modem in one box? (Not anything by 3com
    >> obviously)
    >>

    > I'd recommend you stay clear of the router with modem in one box and go
    > for a router/wireless and seperate modem. Specifically because anything
    > that has a modem in it will likely not have user flashable firmware.

    The firmware in the router at the subject is 'flashable'.

    WRT the original ops comments, I use the same equipment all without
    problems. Doesn't help, I know, but balances the comments.
    Edward W. Thompson, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Clayton

    Liam Guest

    > "Liam" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Anyone got any suggestions for an all-in-one replacement i.e. 802.11g,
    >> router, firewall and ADSL modem in one box? (Not anything by 3com
    >> obviously)
    >>

    > I'd recommend you stay clear of the router with modem in one box and go
    > for a router/wireless and seperate modem. Specifically because anything
    > that has a modem in it will likely not have user flashable firmware.

    Yes it does have flashable firmware and I am up to date with mine, version
    1.29 installed which as of now is the latest version. To be fair, no doubt a
    lot of the problems particularly the poor wireless DHCP implementation could
    be
    resolved with a future firmware version. It is a case of wait or replace...
    Liam, Mar 15, 2005
  6. Clayton

    JoeT Guest

    "Edward W. Thompson" <> wrote in message

    > "JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Liam" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Anyone got any suggestions for an all-in-one replacement i.e. 802.11g,
    >>> router, firewall and ADSL modem in one box? (Not anything by 3com
    >>> obviously)
    >>>

    >> I'd recommend you stay clear of the router with modem in one box and go
    >> for a router/wireless and seperate modem. Specifically because anything
    >> that has a modem in it will likely not have user flashable firmware.
    >>

    > The firmware in the router at the subject is 'flashable'.

    You're right it is flashable but he was clearly asking for all in one
    replacement box suggestions that are, as you can see, specifically ("Not
    anything by 3com obviously") So my reply, by necessity, had nothing to do
    with the router in the subject. I simply thought it would be helpful to
    point out that many manufacturers of newer combo boxes that contain modems
    are moving away from allowing user firmware updates and leaving that up to
    the ISP operators. So at the very least keep a sharp eye out on those
    details when making a choice.
    JoeT, Mar 16, 2005