    involved - now they have my cash, why should they?

    Is anyone else feeling a bit ripped-off with the whole 64 bit experience
    now?

    Dunc, May 12, 2005

  2. Dunc

    R. McCarty Guest

    X64 is new. As with all new OS'es, the 3rd-Party vendors aren't up to
    speed with drivers/application updates. Many products (even fairly
    recent ones) may never have 64-Bit drivers written. Some vendors do
    have announcement on when/how they'll support X64. You might want
    to check with some of the 64-Bit dedicated web sites, that have info
    and driver links.
    http://www.64bitstuff.com/
    http://www.planetamd64.com/

    I looked at 3Com's download site and X64 wasn't an OS choice & I
    couldn't find a statement or link on it's (64-Bit) availability.

    I can understand your frustration - but the situation you're in is not
    uncommon for "Early Adopters" of any state of the art technology.
    It's likely an October/November time frame before vendors get drivers
    and other updates in place. As more & more people move to X64 that
    will place more pressure on these vendors to get compliant materials
    to their customers.

    R. McCarty, May 12, 2005

  3. Dunc wrote:

    > Is anyone else feeling a bit ripped-off with the whole 64 bit
    > experience now?

    No, why should we ? You know from the very begining that it is difficult to
    find all the drivers. You also know that Microsoft cannot write all those
    drivers. 3Com must provide a driver to MS, not the contrary. So, if you're
    not happy with x64, the best thing to do is to stick with XP32 bit until
    enough drivers are available on the market.
    I don't feel ripped off by Microsoft because I was unable to find a driver
    for my HP 6100 all in one...
    It will take a few months, most probably, before more drivers are
    available...

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 12, 2005
  4. Dunc wrote:
    > Has anyone successfully managed to get a 3com 3CRDAG675 card working
    > in Win64?
    >
    > I've got 2 network cards on my machine, and the drivers that worked
    > on the Windows beta for the other card no longer work, and I can't
    > find anything at all for the 3com wireless.
    >
    > I'm nearly at my wits end; I've wasted a lot of time and money trying
    > to get a 64bit box working, and can't get a decent response out of
    > any company involved - now they have my cash, why should they?
    >
    > Is anyone else feeling a bit ripped-off with the whole 64 bit
    > experience now?

    I'm back with a link.
    It's for a 3Com 3c940 NIC, I don't know if it will work with your NIC but
    you may try if you want.

    http://www.64bit-world.com/modules.php?modid=1&action=show&id=7

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 12, 2005
  5. Dunc

    Dunc Guest

    You've jumped to the conclusion I was talking purely about Microsoft;
    although I'm a bit shocked at the lack of initial driver support from
    Microsoft (it's them who'll profit most from Win64; what do the peripheral
    manufacturers get out of it?), I've also received no help from 3com or any
    of their user forums, abit or any of their user forums. Thinking a bit
    further on this, I'm surprised AMD hasn't funded an initiative for softare
    and device driver creation to give them an edge.

    Credit where credit is due: thank god for nVidia; without them, I would've
    chucked in this whole system a long time ago.

    Thanks for the link, unfortunately no dice - but I do appreciate the effort
    :)

    Dunc

    "Christian Hougardy (MS MVP XP)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Dunc, May 12, 2005
  6. Looks like the 3COM PCI card is using Atheros AR5002x chipset, for which
    there is no x64 driver. Even if Atheros had an x64 driver for that chipset,
    you might still have a situation where either the 3COM Wireless Lan utility
    does not work well under WOW64, or only talks to 3COM drivers, which means
    you only have MS Wireless wizard to detect signalling, with no fancy frills
    as choosing channels, checking signal strength, etc....
    Microsoft was accused of OS monopoly (despite their 0% share of x64 OS from
    the public onset of the platform in April 2003 to April 24th, 2005), so they
    might not be in a position to convince all manufacturers of the ubiquity of
    x64.
    As far as I am concerned, I made sure not to buy anything that would not be
    x64 supported after December 2002. Where people read novels in the subway, I
    read *.inf !!!!
    You could read my earlier post about WiFi cards that work with x64 , and
    that might set you back about $40 (unless you can RMA your 3COM card on the
    basis of obsolescence, or have 3COM confirm they can't produce an x64 driver
    to force an IRS ruling on accelerated depreciation for your 3CRDAG675).

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, May 14, 2005