    problem?

    Thanks
    Ron

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=, Jan 24, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

    Rick Guest

    I thought mine showed up without any problem, but have you installed the
    AMD driver for the Athlon 64?

    You can find the information at:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

    AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP x64 Edition and Windows
    Server 2003 x64 Editions Version (exe) 1.2.2.1

    Download link:

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpu64.exe

    Rick, Jan 24, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

    Rick Guest

    I had the wrong page for x2 CPUs:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

    But the driver is the same. It's all in one package.

    Rick, Jan 24, 2006
  4. You probably need the AMD driver. It should be provided by your mobo mfg or
    you can download it directly from AMD.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2006
  5. Thanks, will get that done.

    Now just have to work on pinnacle av/dv *shudders*

    ;-)
    Ron

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=, Jan 24, 2006
  6. OK :-(

    Added the amd driver, still shows only one cpu. Tried going to add hardware
    and no go, tells me the cpu is installed normally. Tried updating driver on
    the one cpu being shown and no go.

    The AMD cpu info program shows just one core.

    Have the latest bios

    MSI K8N NEO 4
    AMD 64 3800+ x2
    Professional XP x64 clean format fresh install
    200g sata

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=, Jan 24, 2006
  7. Just did a fresh install using the Amd drivers at the start and it now shows
    the 2 cores. Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right when I installed the
    system the first time.

    Thanks for the information
    Ron

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=, Jan 24, 2006
  8. Whew. Glad it's working! Those chips aren't cheap, you certainly wouldn't
    want to have it not working correctly.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

    Boskey Guest

    Charlie,
    Am I reading this correctly, the x2 cpu wasn't detected because the driver
    wasn't installed. So if I upgrade the cpu in my system to x2, do I have to
    do a fresh install to correct the recognition problem? Surely, MS doesn't
    have HAL set in stone that would require such extreme measures to upgrade
    system hardware.
    --
    Jimmy

    Boskey, Jan 24, 2006
  10. I don't believe you will need to do a full re-install. I can't verify that,
    since I don't have a dual core CPU. Yet. But it shouldn't require that.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2006
  11. You shoudn't need to re-install, but should install the latest cpu driver.

    But be sure your BIOS version recognises the x2 cpu version you buy.
    Check the exact cpu model against the detailed BIOS list you should find on
    the motherboard manufacturer's site. You need to know more than the basic
    model number. The manufacturing process may be important.

    If the cpu is installed you can use cpu-z from
    http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php to find the details.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 24, 2006
  12. Well it worked for about 2 hours and after a reboot, the system states that
    it has found new hardware and is installing a driver for uniproccesor then
    calls for a reboot....and it only identifies one core after reboot.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=, Jan 25, 2006
  13. Check the MSI site for an updated BIOS. After that, I'd have a talk with
    them. Clearly there's a problem on their end.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 25, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:

    I agree fully about it being a probable bios issue. I have 2
    systems running 4400x2 processors on Asus A8N-E motherboards, both
    processors show up in task manager on x86 and x64. One system was a fresh
    build, the other was a repair installation on the hard drive from my retired
    FX51 processor.

    Dennis Pack, Jan 25, 2006
  15. Yes, there were definitely some BIOS issues right around the time of the
    release. I'm not fortunate enough to have an x2, but I know both of my A8Vs
    will support it, since I _have_ updated the BIOS. Just in case.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 25, 2006
  16. See
    http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?PHPSESSID=aa8b03e20f97cba3df8a3b8028cc1150&topic=92544.0
    which may resolve your problem.

    There are several models of K8N Neo4 and the forum
    http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?board=28.0 is a good place to find answers
    to technical problems with them.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 25, 2006
  17. Thanks a ton for the info. It is still going strong overnight after using the
    fix on the msi msg board. Strange that the problem would only show up on x64
    and not the 32bit XP. Now just dealing with drivers for a pinnacle capture
    board (might have to wait). Canon emailed me and told me there was no plan to
    write drivers for an ink jet that was less than 3 years old. They did say
    however that they would give me a discount on a new printer.

    Thanks again for the cpu help

    Ron

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=, Jan 25, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

    LDJ Guest

    Hello Ron!

    Ron wrote:
    > Thanks a ton for the info. It is still going strong overnight after using the
    > fix on the msi msg board. Strange that the problem would only show up on x64
    > and not the 32bit XP. Now just dealing with drivers for a pinnacle capture
    > board (might have to wait). Canon emailed me and told me there was no plan to
    > write drivers for an ink jet that was less than 3 years old. They did say
    > however that they would give me a discount on a new printer.

    There's workarounds, to get a printer to work with WinXP64.
    Some Canon Inkjet printers will work with the "in-box" WinXP64 drivers.
    I have an i865 printer,for whitch I used the the BJC8000 driver. After
    Canon released the PIXMA series x64 driver, I have installed the Pixma
    IP4000 driver, and now I use that for the i865 printer. The only thing
    that doesn't work, when the driver is used for the i865 printer, is the
    ink-tank monitoring thing, but everything else works flawlessly. I can
    even use the CD-Label print program.

    --
    Kind Regards
    LDJ

    LDJ, Jan 25, 2006
  19. Glad it's working.

    Many Canon printers - you don't say which printer you have - give basic
    printing with the BJC8000 driver which comes with x64. But this driver does
    not give control over any advanced photo printing features the printer may
    have.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 25, 2006