    Cisco link to back up the answer if you have it.

    Thanks,
    -Brian
    Brian V, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Brian V

    Guest Guest

    I am using a 3550 with EMI and SMI's
    I also have some 3548's in the stack.

    Setup one port as a router on the EMI Switch. Configure your VLANS on the
    EMI Switch with IP addresses on all VLANs. Setup the trunks to the other
    swithes, Setup the VTP Domain the same on all switches....

    Guest, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Brian V

    Chris Thomas Guest

    In article <0BWVb.12525$032.44643@attbi_s53>,
    says...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Does anyone know what the results would be of mixing a stack of 3750 emi's
    > and smi's ?

    At Networkers last year, the PM gave a 3750 session. He said mixed
    emi/smi:
    -- Isn't supported
    -- Seems in general to work
    Chris Thomas, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Brian V

    Brian V Guest

    Big difference between 3750's and 3550's or 3524/48's....

    3750's connect via essentially a backplane connector creating a single
    virtual switch with a 36gig backplane. Fairly new switch to Cisco's line.

    3550's/2950's connect via a gbic/gigastack module, 1-2gig uplinks

    I do agree with your statement 100% tho if they were 3550's !

    Thanks anyways,
    -Brian

    Brian V, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Brian V

    Brian V Guest

    Heya Chris,

    I heard the same thing last year...... hey, were you sitting next to me? You
    the one that stole my damn mug?<G>

    It appears that some things have changed tho...here's a link that I found
    while doing some research after posting earlier:

    emi/smi can be mixed/used in a stack.
    emi should be the master
    recomended that atleast 2 switchs in the stack be emi (to support redundent
    emi)

    Other than that I'm not finding too much on it....quite a big difference in
    pricing of the switches. I'm really surprised there's not more out there on
    it.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12119ea1/3750scg/swstack.htm#1172299

    Later,
    Brian

    Brian V, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Brian V

    Chris Thomas Guest

    In article <X9ZVb.135934$U%5.642253@attbi_s03>,
    says...

    > emi/smi can be mixed/used in a stack.
    > emi should be the master
    > recomended that atleast 2 switchs in the stack be emi (to support redundent
    > emi)
    >
    > Other than that I'm not finding too much on it....quite a big difference in
    > pricing of the switches. I'm really surprised there's not more out there on
    > it.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12119ea1/3750scg/swstack.htm#1172299

    Brian,
    Thanks for the reference. It looks like they've changed their
    support since Networkers. This is good -- I have several
    applications where it would be cost-effective to mix emi and smi in a
    stack.

    What they seem to be saying for both EMI and crypto that if the
    master fails, one will loose the EMI and/or crypto functionality
    unless the backup also has these features. That seems reasonable.

    /Chris
    Chris Thomas, Feb 11, 2004