3750 Routing

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tesseeb@gmail.com, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi all;

    I'm jack of all trades, master of none for my organization so this is
    a basic question. I've been out to cisco.com and other multitudes of
    sites but the examples appear to be way more complex than what I'm
    trying to do so I don't know what's necessary and what's not. Any
    pointers would be appreciated.

    We have three sites all connected by 3rd-party fiber. Previously, we
    had vendor supplied Cisco 3400 ME switches at each site that plugged
    into our 1841 routers that were connected to our Linksys switches. I
    just finished ripping out the switches and replacing them with 3750G
    PS switches at each site. Now I want to pull the 1841 routers at the
    two remote sites and use the 3750s to route since I can get a fiber
    hand off from the 3400s from the vendor. (I'm not worried about
    outside connectivity at this time since that's a whole 'nother can of
    worms.)

    At one of my sites, we have an addressing scheme of 10.28.20.0/24 with
    a default gateway of 10.28.20.1. The new 3750 has the default VLAN1
    as 10.28.20.2. The 1841 has a LAN address of 10.28.20.1 and a WAN
    address of 10.28.254.2/24 with a route back to 10.28.254.1. The F/E
    WAN connection plugs into the 3400 ME switch that then runs back to
    the data center. The data center router has two VLANs with this site
    as VLAN3 10.28.254.1/24.

    Sooo...my question is how I apply the 10.28.20.1 and 10.28.254.2
    addresses to the 3750. Do I readdress the switch as 10.28.20.1 and
    apply the 10.28.254.2 address to the G/E52 physical port? Or do I
    create a second VLAN with the 254 address? Or what?? Like I said,
    basic to you guys but slightly puzzling to me in the timeframe I have
    to make this work.

    Thanks for any help in advance. Let me know if you want the configs.
    , Apr 10, 2008

  2. Merv Guest

    On Apr 10, 12:40 pm, wrote:
    > Hi all;
    >
    > I'm jack of all trades, master of none for my organization so this is
    > a basic question. I've been out to cisco.com and other multitudes of
    > sites but the examples appear to be way more complex than what I'm
    > trying to do so I don't know what's necessary and what's not. Any
    > pointers would be appreciated.
    >
    > We have three sites all connected by 3rd-party fiber. Previously, we
    > had vendor supplied Cisco 3400 ME switches at each site that plugged
    > into our 1841 routers that were connected to our Linksys switches. I
    > just finished ripping out the switches and replacing them with 3750G
    > PS switches at each site. Now I want to pull the 1841 routers at the
    > two remote sites and use the 3750s to route since I can get a fiber
    > hand off from the 3400s from the vendor. (I'm not worried about
    > outside connectivity at this time since that's a whole 'nother can of
    > worms.)
    >
    > At one of my sites, we have an addressing scheme of 10.28.20.0/24 with
    > a default gateway of 10.28.20.1. The new 3750 has the default VLAN1
    > as 10.28.20.2. The 1841 has a LAN address of 10.28.20.1 and a WAN
    > address of 10.28.254.2/24 with a route back to 10.28.254.1. The F/E
    > WAN connection plugs into the 3400 ME switch that then runs back to
    > the data center. The data center router has two VLANs with this site
    > as VLAN3 10.28.254.1/24.
    >
    > Sooo...my question is how I apply the 10.28.20.1 and 10.28.254.2
    > addresses to the 3750. Do I readdress the switch as 10.28.20.1 and
    > apply the 10.28.254.2 address to the G/E52 physical port? Or do I
    > create a second VLAN with the 254 address? Or what?? Like I said,
    > basic to you guys but slightly puzzling to me in the timeframe I have
    > to make this work.
    >
    > Thanks for any help in advance. Let me know if you want the configs.

    for the WAN GE port

    int ge <>
    no switchport ! make this a routed port
    ip address 10.28.254.2 255.255.255.0
    cdp enable

    show interface status command should displaythe port as "routed"

    configure a suitable dynamci routing protocol i.e EIGRP
    Merv, Apr 10, 2008