3750 IOS Upgrade in a Stack

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Scooty, Mar 16, 2008.

  1. Scooty

    Scooty Guest

    hi all
    I wanted to deploy OSPF on my 3750 switch but am getting 'Unknown
    routing protocol'
    I tried to do an IOS u/g sometime back with no joy but thought I would
    reinvestigate it

    Last time I tried it, it would appear only on the switches took the
    new IOS and the other 2 came up with Version mismatches I have copied
    the IOS to flash1:, flash2: and flash3: so it is there
    for all 3 switches in the stack

    So useful info before hand

    sh ver
    IOS (tm) C3750 Software (C3750-I9-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1d, RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Compiled Mon 05-Apr-04 22:40 by antonino
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x007CBC3C

    ROM: Bootstrap program is C3750 boot loader
    BOOTLDR: C3750 Boot Loader (C3750-HBOOT-M) Version 12.1(14r)EA1a,
    RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    AFF-HO-CORE-SWITCH uptime is 12 weeks, 1 day, 19 hours, 37 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System restarted at 18:59:26 WST Wed Dec 19 2007
    System image file is "flash:/c3750-i9-mz.121-19.EA1d/c3750-i9-mz.
    121-19.EA1d.bin"

    cisco WS-C3750G-24T (PowerPC405) processor (revision F0) with
    118776K/
    12288K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID CAT0853N09R
    Last reset from power-on
    6 Virtual Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    72 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

    512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
    Base ethernet MAC Address : 00:13:19:14:27:80
    Motherboard assembly number : 73-8046-07
    Power supply part number : 341-0048-01
    Motherboard serial number : CAT08520EZB
    Power supply serial number : DTH08491LSQ
    Model revision number : F0
    Motherboard revision number : A0
    Model number : WS-C3750G-24T-S
    System serial number : CAT0853N09R
    Hardware Board Revision Number : 0x05

    Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image
    ------ ----- ----- ---------- ----------
    * 1 24 WS-C3750G-24T 12.1(19)EA1d C3750-I9-M
    2 24 WS-C3750G-24T 12.1(19)EA1d C3750-I9-M
    3 24 WS-C3750G-24T 12.1(19)EA1d C3750-I9-M

    Switch 02
    ---------
    Switch Uptime : 12 weeks, 1 day, 19 hours, 40
    minutes
    Base ethernet MAC Address : 00:12:DA:8F:88:00
    Motherboard assembly number : 73-8046-07
    Power supply part number : 341-0048-01
    Motherboard serial number : CAT08510L35
    Power supply serial number : DTH08491L76
    Model revision number : F0
    Motherboard revision number : A0
    Model number : WS-C3750G-24T-S
    System serial number : CAT0852X1LZ

    Switch 03
    ---------
    Switch Uptime : 12 weeks, 1 day, 19 hours, 38
    minutes
    Base ethernet MAC Address : 00:0D:29:75:27:00
    Motherboard assembly number : 73-8046-05
    Power supply part number : 341-0048-01
    Motherboard serial number : CAT072504UT
    Power supply serial number : LIT071800BN
    Model revision number : A0
    Motherboard revision number : A0
    Model number : WS-C3750G-24T-S
    System serial number : CAT0725R17Q

    Configuration register is 0xF

    sh switch
    Current
    Switch# Role Mac Address Priority State
    *1 Master 0013.1914.2780 15 Ready
    2 Slave 0012.da8f.8800 14 Ready
    3 Slave 000d.2975.2700 1 Ready

    sh boot
    BOOT path-list : flash:/c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-35.SE5.bin
    Config file : flash:/config.text
    Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text
    Enable Break : no
    Manual Boot : no
    HELPER path-list :
    Auto upgrade : yes

    The documentation on the Cisco website about this says use the
    following command
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_confi...

    boot system switch all
    or
    boot system switch 3

    But it appears that my switch does not support these above listed
    commands

    My options are
    (config)#boot system ?
    WORD pathlist of boot file(s) ... file1;file2;...

    I can do a boot system /flash1:c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-35.SE5.bin

    But how do I make the other 2 switches boot the new IOS
    Do I just use boot auto-copy-sw to force the IOS to the other 2 slave
    switches when a Version Mismatch has been determined?

    Any help or suggestions would be most welcome

    Scott

    Scooty, Mar 16, 2008

  2. Scooty

    Peter Guest

    Hi Scott,

    Sorting out 3750 stack IOS version mismatches and boot sequences is a
    nightmare that took me a while to feel confident with, but once I
    understood it I found it works well.

    > sh boot
    > BOOT path-list : flash:/c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-35.SE5.bin
    > Config file : flash:/config.text
    > Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text
    > Enable Break : no
    > Manual Boot : no
    > HELPER path-list :
    > Auto upgrade : yes

    ***

    > But how do I make the other 2 switches boot the new IOS

    If you issue the
    boot system switch all ***
    command and specifiy the statement "flash:..." then all switches BOOT
    statements get set to boot from their OWN flash image. If you specify
    "flash1:..." then all switches will boot from that particular stack
    members copy of IOS. Also remember that if each switch boots from its
    own copy, then each member is ot liant on any other members and
    redundacy is automatic. The option to specify flash1:... etc may be
    handy for an interim setup, but it could be a source of a real problem
    in a production environment.

    Lastly, note that the Auto upgrade option should only be set on the
    MASTER switch, and not on a Slave switch. Let the master control what
    the stack members get (IE use only 1 boss).

    > Do I just use boot auto-copy-sw to force the IOS to the other 2 slave
    > switches when a Version Mismatch has been determined?

    I have gone through the hassle or sorting out version mismatches on
    3750 stacks and found that "it depends". The catch being that I am not
    exactly sure what it depends on.

    Now... whenever I come across a stack with a version mismatch I
    physically BREAK the stack and manually update the switch that needs
    changing, check each stack member has the correct boot statement, then
    re-connect the stack again. I have found this by far the safest and
    surest method of getting it right, as when I tried using Auto-upgrade
    once, it resulted in a DOWNGRADE of the stack to a lower level.

    Once a stack has all members at the SAME level, then provided the
    "boot system" statement applies to all stack members, then upgrading
    the stack is usually straight forward and easy (IMHO).

    Good luck..................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

    Peter, Mar 16, 2008

  3. Peter wrote:
    > Hi Scott,
    >
    > Sorting out 3750 stack IOS version mismatches and boot sequences is a
    > nightmare that took me a while to feel confident with, but once I
    > understood it I found it works well.
    >
    >> sh boot
    >> BOOT path-list : flash:/c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-35.SE5.bin
    >> Config file : flash:/config.text
    >> Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text
    >> Enable Break : no
    >> Manual Boot : no
    >> HELPER path-list :
    >> Auto upgrade : yes

    > ***
    >
    >> But how do I make the other 2 switches boot the new IOS

    > If you issue the
    > boot system switch all ***
    > command and specifiy the statement "flash:..." then all switches BOOT
    > statements get set to boot from their OWN flash image. If you specify
    > "flash1:..." then all switches will boot from that particular stack
    > members copy of IOS. Also remember that if each switch boots from its
    > own copy, then each member is ot liant on any other members and
    > redundacy is automatic. The option to specify flash1:... etc may be
    > handy for an interim setup, but it could be a source of a real problem
    > in a production environment.
    >
    > Lastly, note that the Auto upgrade option should only be set on the
    > MASTER switch, and not on a Slave switch. Let the master control what
    > the stack members get (IE use only 1 boss).
    >
    >> Do I just use boot auto-copy-sw to force the IOS to the other 2 slave
    >> switches when a Version Mismatch has been determined?

    > I have gone through the hassle or sorting out version mismatches on
    > 3750 stacks and found that "it depends". The catch being that I am not
    > exactly sure what it depends on.
    >
    > Now... whenever I come across a stack with a version mismatch I
    > physically BREAK the stack and manually update the switch that needs
    > changing, check each stack member has the correct boot statement, then
    > re-connect the stack again. I have found this by far the safest and
    > surest method of getting it right, as when I tried using Auto-upgrade
    > once, it resulted in a DOWNGRADE of the stack to a lower level.
    >
    > Once a stack has all members at the SAME level, then provided the
    > "boot system" statement applies to all stack members, then upgrading
    > the stack is usually straight forward and easy (IMHO).
    >
    > Good luck..................pk.

    it has been my experience that you don't always need to break the stack as
    long as you have a switch that claims to be master. I just ran in to this
    with a 3750-24 that I replaced a second unit on.

    We utilize the 'archive' command to upgrade our IOS versions when we have
    3750 stacks because it does a lot of the dirty work for you such as copy the
    IOS to each unit in the stack and set the boot flags appropriately, etc.
    However, the use of the 'archive' command can only be used if you are using
    a .tar file and not a bin file (as explained here
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml#mth3) .
    However, if you use the .tar files, that can really bone you when
    auto-upgrade tries to kick in. Auto-upgrade appears to do nothing more than
    execute a "copy flash1: flashX: (where X is the slot that doesn't have the
    right IOS) and auto-upgrade does NOT seem to be aware of the directory that
    'archive' stuffs the bin file into.

    So, that being said, what I ended up having to do was to replace the 2nd
    unit, have it boot up, have auto-upgrade fail, then manually copy the IOS
    bin file over to the slot that has the incorrect IOS, then reload that slot
    with the IOS that the master is running. After the reboot do 'sho switch' to
    see that IOS is happy. Then, if your SOPs dictate to use the archive command
    to get the tar files on the switches, then you can do a normal IOS upgrade
    as detailed in the document above.

    We use the .tar images because some of our people like to see a graphical
    representation of the switches with CNA, so the web files are all packaged
    up neatly in the tar files. <shrug>

    IMHO Cisco needs to make the auto-upgrade feature more compatible with how
    the archive commands leave the files on the flash filesystems.

    Hope I didn't ramble too much, good luck!

    AJ Schroeder

    Schroeder, AJ, Mar 16, 2008
  4. Scooty

    Guest

    On 16 Mar, 19:09, "Schroeder, AJ" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > So, that being said, what I ended up having to do was to replace the 2nd
    > unit, have it boot up, have auto-upgrade fail, then manually copy the IOS
    > bin file over to the slot that has the incorrect IOS, then reload that slot
    > with the IOS that the master is running. After the reboot do 'sho switch' to
    > see that IOS is happy. Then, if your SOPs dictate to use the archive command
    > to get the tar files on the switches, then you can do a normal IOS upgrade
    > as detailed in the document above.
    >
    > We use the .tar images because some of our people like to see a graphical
    > representation of the switches with CNA, so the web files are all packaged
    > up neatly in the tar files. <shrug>
    >
    > IMHO Cisco needs to make the auto-upgrade feature more compatible with how
    > the archive commands leave the files on the flash filesystems.
    >
    > Hope I didn't ramble too much, good luck!

    A version change will not do the job I don't think.

    As far as I can see ipbase does not do OSPF.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_qas09186a00801b0971.html

    For OSPF Advanced IP Services is required.

    "C3750-I9-M" I m not exactly sure what that is but "I9"
    could well be base with crypto for ssh management.

    , Mar 17, 2008