    have the write connectors or you need to buy something extra (port modules
    or whatever they are called) in order to be able to use them?

    -thanks, ali

    Alireza Dabagh [MS], Sep 28, 2004

  2. Hello, Alireza!
    You wrote on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:29:02 -0700:

    ADM> Somebody in our company ordered 3750 G12S and now I realize that
    ADM> in order to connect them to CAT 5/6 gig adapters, I have to pop
    ADM> something close to 250$ to buy an SFP module for -each- port
    ADM> that I intend to use. Do I have similar problem if I get a 3750
    ADM> 24TS? i.e. are 24TS switches as they come in the box have the
    ADM> write connectors or you need to buy something extra (port
    ADM> modules or whatever they are called) in order to be able to use
    ADM> them?

    Well, the answer is simple. Here is the page for 3750 series. BTW, did I tell
    you that cisco.com is very valuable resource for such things as equipment specs?

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/prod_models_home.html

    As you can see 3750G-24TS-E and 3750G-24TS-S has 24 10/100/1000 ports of what
    sometimes reffered as GigE over copper and 4 SFP. BTW, 3750-24TS-E and
    3750-24TS-S has 24 ports 10/100 only (plus 2 SFP). Question - where is the
    difference?

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Thanks Andrey, believe it or not, I have read all these specs. Problem is
    when I brought this to the attention of the person who ordered the switches,
    he mentioned that even for 24TS, there is an after-purchase cost similar to
    the cost of SFP modules for 12S. He says that you need to buy extra
    "modules" that you insert in the switches in order to get the RJ 45
    1000BaseT ports you need. I was not sure about this statement and that's why
    I need verification from somebody who has the switch.

    >BTW, 3750-24TS-E and
    > 3750-24TS-S has 24 ports 10/100 only (plus 2 SFP). Question - where is the
    > difference?

    I was not sure if you are asking a question or trying to make a point! If
    you are asking about the difference between E and S, S uses standard
    software and E uses enhanced software with layer 3 routing, etc. If you are
    asking about the difference between 3750-24TS and 3750G-24TS, then one is
    10/100, the other 10/100/1000.

    -thanks, ali

    Alireza Dabagh [MS], Sep 29, 2004
  4. Hello, Alireza!
    You wrote on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:07:43 -0700:

    ADM> Problem is when I brought this to the attention of the person
    ADM> who ordered the switches, he mentioned that even for 24TS, there
    ADM> is an after-purchase cost similar to the cost of SFP modules for
    ADM> 12S. He says that you need to buy extra "modules" that you
    ADM> insert in the switches in order to get the RJ 45 1000BaseT ports
    ADM> you need. I was not sure about this statement and that's why I
    ADM> need verification from somebody who has the switch.

    I have 3750G-24TS-S in service and it doesn't need any "modules" for 24
    10/100/1000 ports. You probably still can use 1000T SFP for additional 4 SFP
    ports but that's another story.

    ??>> BTW, 3750-24TS-E and
    ??>> 3750-24TS-S has 24 ports 10/100 only (plus 2 SFP). Question -
    ??>> where is the difference?

    ADM> I was not sure if you are asking a question or trying to make a
    ADM> point! If you are asking about the difference between E and S, S
    ADM> uses standard software and E uses enhanced software with layer 3
    ADM> routing, etc. If you are asking about the difference between
    ADM> 3750-24TS and 3750G-24TS, then one is 10/100, the other
    ADM> 10/100/1000.

    It was mostly contemplation on Cisco's naming strategy - having two pretty
    different boxes with one additional letter in the middle is not what I'd call
    good naming standard.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Sep 29, 2004
  5. Thanks Andrey. I really appreciate your response. It was invaluable to me
    clearing things up. Now we have to find a way to get rid of 12S switches and
    order a couple of 24TS.

    -Best regards, ali

    Alireza Dabagh [MS], Sep 29, 2004