3660 hangs

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by hari, May 8, 2004.

  1. hari

    hari Guest

    Hi all

    i have 3660 with out any modules
    the box hangs afer running some hour or so

    when i off and on i get the following error

    Router>
    System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0x5C5C5C5C

    when i switched on again next day..

    the box boot and run for a hour

    what could be the problem

    can one one help me .. how to sort this problem

    hari

    hari, May 8, 2004

  2. hari wrote:

    > when i switched on again next day..
    >
    > the box boot and run for a hour
    >
    > what could be the problem

    I think the box is telling you what the problem is:

    > Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0x5C5C5C5C

    Wonky RAM. I suggest pulling the memory and reseating it. If that
    doesn't help, replace it.

    Regards,

    Marco.

    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, May 8, 2004

  3. (hari) writes:
    >i have 3660 with out any modules
    >the box hangs afer running some hour or so

    >when i off and on i get the following error

    >Router>
    >System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    >Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    >Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0x5C5C5C5C

    Either bad RAM or a bad motherboard with a bad memory controller.
    Sounds like an RMA situation either way. Reseat the RAM (although that
    type of failure doesn't sound like it would help), or RMA both through TAC.

    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades

    Doug McIntyre, May 9, 2004
  4. hari

    hari Guest

    Hi

    yes as per your suggestion
    i have brought the new PC 100 RAM

    now it behaves the same

    do you think its chasis or any other problem

    or any IOS in compatability problem

    hari

    hari, May 9, 2004
  5. (hari) writes:
    >yes as per your suggestion
    >i have brought the new PC 100 RAM

    >now it behaves the same
    >do you think its chasis or any other problem
    >or any IOS in compatability problem

    I haven't seen IOS fail in such a way like this.

    I've had a chassis fail in this exact way a few times. Doing a total
    hardware swap with the same exact IOS version, and same exact config
    made it not fail that way ever again.

    So, I'd imagine you have a bad motherboard (ie. chassis) on this
    router that needs a fixin.

    Doug McIntyre, May 9, 2004
  6. hari

    AnyBody43 Guest

    Doug McIntyre <> wrote in message news:<409d6e4e$0$8520$>...
    > (hari) writes:
    > >i have 3660 with out any modules
    > >the box hangs afer running some hour or so

    > >when i off and on i get the following error

    > >Router>
    > >System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    > >Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    > >Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0x5C5C5C5C

    > Either bad RAM or a bad motherboard with a bad memory controller.
    > Sounds like an RMA situation either way. Reseat the RAM (although that
    > type of failure doesn't sound like it would help), or RMA both through TAC.

    Clearly suspecting the RAM is a good place to start however
    it could be a random bug or hardware failure calling the "Bad
    RAM report" code with the mentioned parameters. It is in fact
    VERY suspicious, to me, that the location and written value are
    the same.

    Does your platform even have RAM at that address?

    Perhaps it's time to ARM the RMA.

    AnyBody43, May 10, 2004