3640 with NM-16ESW module

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jack Lowry, May 8, 2004.

  1. Jack Lowry

    Jack Lowry Guest

    I'm working wiht a 3640 and a NM-16ESW module (16 port switch) and
    12.2(2)XT3 The way I understand things this should act somewhat like my
    5500 wiht RSM. I where I can use each switch port as a interface to the
    router.

    but I can't seem to get out of the gate

    the documentation suggest that I need to do

    no switchport

    on each interface that I plan to use in a layer 3 mode.

    but when I do that I get

    % Incomplete command.

    If I try to configure a IP address on a fastethernet interface

    I get
    % IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

    What am I missing?

    Thanx

    Jack Lowry, May 8, 2004

  2. Jack Lowry <> writes:
    >I'm working wiht a 3640 and a NM-16ESW module (16 port switch) and
    >12.2(2)XT3 The way I understand things this should act somewhat like my
    >5500 wiht RSM. I where I can use each switch port as a interface to the
    >router.

    The datasheet here

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet09186a0080088752.html

    Says its a layer-2 switch device, so more like a Catalyst 2950 switch
    with 16 ports is my understanding.

    So you're trying to do something that the hardware won't support.
    Cisco's never been known for removing all the commands that they
    should when the device doesn't support all the features of the
    higher-end devices, they just fail in weird ways.

    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades

    Doug McIntyre, May 9, 2004

  3. Jack Lowry

    Scooby Guest

    "Doug McIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Lowry <> writes:
    > >I'm working wiht a 3640 and a NM-16ESW module (16 port switch) and
    > >12.2(2)XT3 The way I understand things this should act somewhat like my
    > >5500 wiht RSM. I where I can use each switch port as a interface to the
    > >router.

    > The datasheet here

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet0918
    6a0080088752.html

    > Says its a layer-2 switch device, so more like a Catalyst 2950 switch
    > with 16 ports is my understanding.
    >
    > So you're trying to do something that the hardware won't support.
    > Cisco's never been known for removing all the commands that they
    > should when the device doesn't support all the features of the
    > higher-end devices, they just fail in weird ways.
    >

    > --
    > Doug McIntyre
    > Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    > Vector Internet Services, Inc.

    Well, this is like a L2 device, but with the benefit of being built into a
    router. That means that it can operate similar to a router on a stick
    without having to do the trunking. You can configure ip addresses for the
    ports, just not the way you were thinking. The 'no switchport' command will
    put a L3 switchport into router mode. However, there is another way, and
    what I typically do on L3 switches anyway. Create yourself a vlan, assign
    whatever ports you like to the vlan, and give the vlan an ip address. You
    can do this with only one port if that is all you need.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, May 9, 2004