3640 EOL

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bill F, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Bill F

    Bill F Guest

    After recommending a 3640 I've learned it was actually EOL late last
    year or early this year and as a consequence I'd like to know the
    ramifications of this.

    I've looked at this document,

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/prod_bulletin09186a0080107b23.html

    ....the most important aspect in mind, being sw support.

    "End of software maintenance releases

    The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software
    maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering
    will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.

    November 2005, or the final maintenance release of IOS 12.4 mainline,
    whichever comes first"

    Anyone have an idea when 12.4 may come into existence and in general how
    this limitation will affect the customers ability to get IOS support for
    new features in the future? What's the worst case scenario in terms the
    obsoleteness of this box?

    Is there some place on the cisco site where I can see the chronology
    (not just the version tree diagrams) of the IOS?

    Thanks
    Bill F, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Bill F

    Rob Guest

    12.3 is being worked on right now and I don't use half those features
    on my 2600 and 3640's. I'm sure 12.4 will have many more cool
    features that some of us won't use.

    I wouldn't worry about it. There are people out there running 11.1
    code just fine. 12.4 on a 3640, assuming you don't need any new
    interfaces, should last you several years. It already includes IPv6.

    What do you do with your 3640?

    Rob, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Bill F

    Bill F Guest

    It will terminate 2 t1's on a multilink interface for data only at this
    point. Date currently includes large binaries being transferred over a
    pt-pt connection from their isp's colo. In the future they will also
    terminate 3 ipsec tunnels just for vpnclient traffic and will eventually
    use this as their primary internet gateway as well.
    They have a 2621 and even w/o the tunnels or additional internet
    browsing the cpu was hitting 50% several times an hour. That concerned
    me. I figured doubling the cpu horsepower, from 50 to 100 MHz would make
    sense. I also mentioned adding an AIM-VPN card, but, since the
    vpnclient traffic is light, I am told, that wasn't as compelling. They
    had a 2650 on hand as well which is 80MHz, but, I told them they should
    probably get the fastest thing they could afford and the 3640 seemed to
    me the next step up and the cheapest step up.

    The point you raised about future sw and new interfaces occurred to me
    to. It seems like new features more often relate to new platforms or
    interfaces with new functionality like vox + data interfaces, etc.,
    right? And yes the IPv6 thing is probalby the singly biggest "feature"
    for data applicaiton anyway, correct?

    I also tracked this document down which was illumnating and made it
    clear that the 11/2005 deadline will precede the end of 12.4.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/prod_bulletin09186a00801a1349.html

    Bill F, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Bill F

    Rob Guest

    If you must get something "new", how about a 2651XM, 2691 or 3725?

    Now, if they only want DES/3DES, a 3640 is fine. If they will need
    AES in hardware, the old AIM-VPN/MP doesn't support that.

    Rob, Nov 28, 2003