    successful tftp boot without running out of memory?

    Thank you in advance,
    HD

    haydude, Jul 7, 2008

  2. haydude

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <>, (haydude) writes:
    | Hi Everyone,
    |
    | I found some messages on this subject, and search for docs on
    | Cisco.com, but to no help at all.
    |
    | I am trying to tftp boot one of those large >32MB enterprise images
    | that do not fit in any flash, but without success.

    You probably won't have much luck with tftp; use rcp or ftp (I use
    the former).

    | Could anyone post the correct step-by-step procedure to configure the
    | router to boot such an image from tftp successfully? Could anyone
    | indicate which image we need to have in flash in order to have a
    | successful tftp boot without running out of memory?

    I use io3 12.2(40) because it is small and new enough to recognize
    most hardware. Note that if this is not the first image in flash
    you will have to set BOOTLDR in the monitor. I actually keep the
    12.2(40) used as rxboot on a PCMCIA card so I have room for 12.4(13a)
    in main flash as a fall back.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

    Dan Lanciani, Jul 8, 2008

  3. haydude

    Guest

    haydude <> wrote:

    > I found some messages on this subject, and search for docs on
    > Cisco.com, but to no help at all.
    >
    > I am trying to tftp boot one of those large >32MB enterprise images
    > that do not fit in any flash, but without success.

    We had/have fun with this issue on 28xx hardware: the regular images are
    way over 32MB, yet the ROMMON does not implement the blksize extension...

    > Could anyone post the correct step-by-step procedure to configure the
    > router to boot such an image from tftp successfully? Could anyone
    > indicate which image we need to have in flash in order to have a
    > successful tftp boot without running out of memory?

    Its mainly a TFTP issue: plain standard TFTP w/o extensions has a protocol
    inherent filesize limit of 32MB since the standard block size of TFTP is
    512 Bytes and the sequence number field in TFTP is only 16 bits wide
    therefore you can only transfer 2^16-2 blocks of 512 bytes each -> roughly
    32MB.

    There are certain TFTP extensions that help overcome this limit
    ("blksize"). The only problem is: these are not implemented in ROMMON and
    Cisco does not plan to implement it (result of a case we had open with
    Cisco), at least not on 28xx hardware.

    I think your options are:
    - find a tftp server that has no problem transfering files >32MB without
    the blksize extension (thereby violating the TFTP protocol)
    - Using a boot-helper image
    - Use something else than TFTP for transfer (might not work on the 3640)

    Ciao Chris
    --
    All diese Momente werden verloren sein in der Zeit, so wie Tränen im Regen
    Dipl-Ing (FH) Christian 'Dr. Disk' Hechelmann <> IRC: DrDisk

    , Jul 8, 2008
  4. In article <>,
    haydude <> wrote:
    >Hi Everyone,
    >
    >I found some messages on this subject, and search for docs on
    >Cisco.com, but to no help at all.
    >
    >I am trying to tftp boot one of those large >32MB enterprise images
    >that do not fit in any flash, but without success.
    >
    >Could anyone post the correct step-by-step procedure to configure the
    >router to boot such an image from tftp successfully? Could anyone
    >indicate which image we need to have in flash in order to have a
    >successful tftp boot without running out of memory?

    The tftp original protocol has a 32MB limit (extended
    in RFC 2437). My guess is your client still has this
    limitation. Use ftp (much faster than tftp) or here's a
    free Windows client that doesn't have this limitation...
    http://tftp-server.solarwinds.qarchive.org/

    alan

    Alan Strassberg, Jul 8, 2008