    If a Lens is rated at F/1.8 on a 35 mm camera does this hold true on a
    Digital even if the * factor is 1.5 times for the Nikon D70 and 1,6 on some
    of the Canons?
    SteveJ, Jun 8, 2004

  2. SteveJ

    steve Guest

    yes. f #'s do not change, nor does focal length.

    However, the 'smaller than 35mm sized' sensor digital SLRs crop the image.

    Steve

    steve, Jun 8, 2004

  3. SteveJ

    Skip M Guest

    Yes, the aperture in unaffected by the sensor size.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jun 8, 2004
  4. SteveJ

    Guest

    In message <5laxc.2075$0y.2063@attbi_s03>,
    "SteveJ" <> wrote:

    >If a Lens is rated at F/1.8 on a 35 mm camera does this hold true on a
    >Digital even if the * factor is 1.5 times for the Nikon D70 and 1,6 on some
    >of the Canons?

    The crop factor is simply that; a crop factor. Does cutting a 35mm
    slide into 3 or 4 pieces change the aperture, or the exposure?

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Jun 8, 2004
  5. SteveJ

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Since the focal length is actually the same, the aperture is the same. The
    multiplication only has meaning for telling you the equivalent angle of
    view.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jun 8, 2004
  6. SteveJ

    David Bindle Guest

    Yes, the aperture of 1.8 is unaffected. The factor of 1.5 or 1.6 is only
    for calculating 35mm lens equivalent coverage, due to the smaller size of
    the sensor compared to the size of a 35mm frame. The smaller sized sensor
    in effect, crops the outer edges of the regular 35mm frame.
    This makes telephoto lenses (seem) more powerful -- but your are just in
    fact cropping and blowing up the center portion to a regular viewing size.
    It also diminishes the desirable effects of wide angle lenses, for the same
    reason. To get a wide angle of coverage, you need to buy an ultrawide lens.
    One benefit that I haven't seen mentioned before (I probably have just
    missed it) is that - with the cropping, should come improved resolution in
    the corners of the image, due to the fact that you are using more of the
    central portion of the lens. I'm not sure if the additional magnification
    required to blow up this crop nullifies any gains in corner sharpness or
    not.
    Anyone?

    David Bindle, Jun 8, 2004
  7. SteveJ

    Paul J Gans Guest

    SteveJ <> wrote:
    >If a Lens is rated at F/1.8 on a 35 mm camera does this hold true on a
    >Digital even if the * factor is 1.5 times for the Nikon D70 and 1,6 on some
    >of the Canons?

    Yes. The f/ rating of a lens is a physical property of the
    lens and will not be affected by the camera it is mounted on.

    ----- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Jun 9, 2004