35mm slides to jpeg conversion....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ~^ beancounter ~^, Oct 19, 2007.

  1. what's the state of the art and/or best method to transfer
    my old 35mm slides to jpeg files?...thanx......

    ~^ beancounter ~^, Oct 19, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    ~^ beancounter ~^ <> wrote:

    > what's the state of the art and/or best method to transfer
    > my old 35mm slides to jpeg files?...thanx......

    Film scanner.

    --
    Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit.

    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    Ockham's Razor, Oct 19, 2007

  3. ~^ beancounter ~^

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:53:09 -0700, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:

    > what's the state of the art and/or best method to transfer
    > my old 35mm slides to jpeg files?...thanx......

    'Best' is probably a dedicated film/slide scanner - you should be able to
    pick one up for a couple thousand dollars. 'Adequate' is probably a
    flatbed scanner with film/slide support - around $100. Quality won't be
    the same, but adequate for most uses. See Epson online store for a refurb
    unit - I use a Perfection 4490 Photo - it does medium format as well.

    ray, Oct 19, 2007
  4. "ray" <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:53:09 -0700, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
    >
    >> what's the state of the art and/or best method to transfer
    >> my old 35mm slides to jpeg files?...thanx......

    > 'Best' is probably a dedicated film/slide scanner - you should be able to
    > pick one up for a couple thousand dollars.

    Hey, don't give beancounter a heart attack<g>. The Nikon 5000 is about
    US$1000, and the Nikon "V" is quite a bit less than that. The Nikon 9000
    medium format scanner is $2000.

    > 'Adequate' is probably a
    > flatbed scanner with film/slide support - around $100. Quality won't be
    > the same, but adequate for most uses. See Epson online store for a refurb
    > unit - I use a Perfection 4490 Photo - it does medium format as well.

    Exactly. And thanks for doing my homework and mentioning the model
    number<g>.

    Here's the difference between an Epson 4800 ppi scan and a Nikon 4000 ppi
    scan on the Nikon 8000. (The Nikon 8000 is the medium format scanner that
    corresponds to the "4000" 35mm scanner. The 9000 and 5000 are the current
    models. All of these are 4000 ppi scanners.)

    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/40078324/original

    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/40078325/original

    In the second one, I upsampled the Nikon scan to match the Epson scan, and
    you can see that the Nikon is a better 4800 ppi scanner than the Epson is.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 19, 2007
  5. ~^ beancounter ~^

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 01:07:45 +0900, David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > "ray" <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:53:09 -0700, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
    >>
    >>> what's the state of the art and/or best method to transfer
    >>> my old 35mm slides to jpeg files?...thanx......

    >> 'Best' is probably a dedicated film/slide scanner - you should be able to
    >> pick one up for a couple thousand dollars.

    > Hey, don't give beancounter a heart attack<g>. The Nikon 5000 is about
    > US$1000, and the Nikon "V" is quite a bit less than that. The Nikon 9000
    > medium format scanner is $2000.

    Hmmmm - seems I wasn't far off the mark.

    >> 'Adequate' is probably a
    >> flatbed scanner with film/slide support - around $100. Quality won't be
    >> the same, but adequate for most uses. See Epson online store for a refurb
    >> unit - I use a Perfection 4490 Photo - it does medium format as well.

    > Exactly. And thanks for doing my homework and mentioning the model
    > number<g>.
    >
    > Here's the difference between an Epson 4800 ppi scan and a Nikon 4000 ppi
    > scan on the Nikon 8000. (The Nikon 8000 is the medium format scanner that
    > corresponds to the "4000" 35mm scanner. The 9000 and 5000 are the current
    > models. All of these are 4000 ppi scanners.)
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/40078324/original
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/40078325/original
    >
    > In the second one, I upsampled the Nikon scan to match the Epson scan, and
    > you can see that the Nikon is a better 4800 ppi scanner than the Epson is.

    I don't dispute that. The solution would depend on what is 'sufficient'
    rather than what is 'best' - at least when economics are considered. It's
    entirely possible he really wants 'the best' and is prepared to pay for it.

    ray, Oct 19, 2007
  6. ~^ beancounter ~^

    Sitara Lal Guest

    What does "taetige Unwissenheit" mean?

    Sitara Lal, Oct 19, 2007
  7. Sitara wrote on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:23:48 GMT:

    SL> "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    ??>> In article
    ??>> <>, ~^
    ??>> beancounter ~^ <> wrote:
    ??>>
    ??>>> what's the state of the art and/or best method to
    ??>>> transfer my old 35mm slides to jpeg files?...thanx......
    ??>>
    ??>> Film scanner.
    ??>>
    ??>> --
    ??>> Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit.
    ??>>
    ??>> Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    Try Babelfish: babelfish.altavista.digital.com/babelfish/tr but
    I admit that the translation is not that easy to understand
    either!

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

    James Silverton, Oct 19, 2007
  8. ~^ beancounter ~^

    Frank ess Guest

    Sitara Lal wrote:
    > What does "taetige Unwissenheit" mean?
    >

    > "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> ~^ beancounter ~^ <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> what's the state of the art and/or best method to transfer
    >>> my old 35mm slides to jpeg files?...thanx......

    >> Film scanner.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit.
    >>
    >> Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    It means, "The quoter is a pretentious, pompous ass, hoping to impress
    unknown strangers with his 'literacy'. "

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 20, 2007
  9. ~^ beancounter ~^

    MG Guest

    "~^ beancounter ~^" <> wrote in message
    > what's the state of the art and/or best method to transfer
    > my old 35mm slides to jpeg files?...thanx......

    You can try this method.
    http://users.iafrica.com/m/mc/mcollett/brsd/index.htm
    It is very quick.

    Then you can selected slides done to a better quality.

    MG

    MG, Oct 20, 2007
  10. ~^ beancounter ~^

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote

    > Hey, don't give beancounter a heart attack<g>. The Nikon 5000 is about
    > US$1000, and the Nikon "V" is quite a bit less than that. The Nikon 9000
    > medium format scanner is $2000.

    I picked up an old Nikon LS1000 in working order at an auction for $70 (AU)
    because nobody in the crowd knew what the hell it was. I already had one
    (with a mechanical fault) so I was a happy little shopper that day...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Oct 22, 2007
  11. "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    >"ray" <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:53:09 -0700, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
    >>
    >>> what's the state of the art and/or best method to transfer
    >>> my old 35mm slides to jpeg files?...thanx......

    >> 'Best' is probably a dedicated film/slide scanner - you should be able to
    >> pick one up for a couple thousand dollars.

    >Hey, don't give beancounter a heart attack<g>. The Nikon 5000 is about
    >US$1000, and the Nikon "V" is quite a bit less than that. The Nikon 9000
    >medium format scanner is $2000.

    I just finished this project with about 6000 35mm slides of my dad's and mine.
    I used a Nikon 5000 and auto feeder. It took about 6 weeks calendar time and
    about two hours a day real time to keep the thing feed, fix jams, back up files,
    etc.

    I bought the scanner and feeder on ebay, used, in excellent condition for $1300.
    I sold them on ebay, slightly more used, in excellent condition for $1250. There
    is an active market for them as many people are doing the same thing.

    I am very pleased with it all. While the Nikon scanning software is kind of
    quirky, it produces excellent results once you get up the learning curve. The
    digital ICE does a stunningly good job of removing dust and scratches. The
    scanner resolves the grain of the film, so no resolution is lost.

    -- Doug

    Douglas Johnson, Oct 23, 2007