35mm slides from digital images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Nov 30, 2004

  2. In article <bs5rd.53055$>,
    says...

    > Has anyone tried this? Results?
    > http://www.iprintfromhome.com/image_child.asp?id=65406&pid=66497
    > http://www.iprintfromhome.com/
    >
    > The max res is 2732 x 4096 (11.2 Mpix)
    >
    > $2.49 for 1 slide; 1.25 per additional slide of same image.

    Sounds interesting. At $2.50 a pop, doesn't sound like too much to try
    them out, unless they have prohibitively high shipping costs or insane
    minimum orders.

    Additionally, I don't know what the hell I'd do with them. I haven't
    projected slides in... forever.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Alan Browne

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:23:38 GMT, Brian C. Baird <>
    wrote:

    >In article <bs5rd.53055$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Has anyone tried this? Results?
    >> http://www.iprintfromhome.com/image_child.asp?id=65406&pid=66497
    >> http://www.iprintfromhome.com/
    >>
    >> The max res is 2732 x 4096 (11.2 Mpix)
    >>
    >> $2.49 for 1 slide; 1.25 per additional slide of same image.

    >Sounds interesting. At $2.50 a pop, doesn't sound like too much to try
    >them out, unless they have prohibitively high shipping costs or insane
    >minimum orders.
    >
    >Additionally, I don't know what the hell I'd do with them. I haven't
    >projected slides in... forever.

    ....you can *project* slides?

    ....interesting.

    ;-)

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Nov 30, 2004
  4. I had to have slides for a grant application last year. I don't recall the
    service I used...might not matter. I have no idea if I used the best. Your
    prices sound better than what I got....are you sure about them? I had to get
    quite a few before I got a price break. The quality is outstanding so far as
    I can tell. I have no way to actually view a slide large.

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:

    > I had to have slides for a grant application last year. I don't recall the
    > service I used...might not matter. I have no idea if I used the best. Your
    > prices sound better than what I got....are you sure about them? I had to get
    > quite a few before I got a price break. The quality is outstanding so far as
    > I can tell. I have no way to actually view a slide large.

    Prices are from the website. No min order. Not sure about shipping.

    Alan Browne, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Gene Palmiter wrote:
    >
    >> I had to have slides for a grant application last year. I don't recall
    >> the
    >> service I used...might not matter. I have no idea if I used the best.
    >> Your
    >> prices sound better than what I got....are you sure about them? I had
    >> to get
    >> quite a few before I got a price break. The quality is outstanding so
    >> far as
    >> I can tell. I have no way to actually view a slide large.

    > Prices are from the website. No min order. Not sure about shipping.

    Found it...
    https://www.iprintfromhome.com/image_peers.asp?id=2732&pid=66505

    Alan Browne, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Alan Browne

    McLeod Guest

    McLeod, Dec 1, 2004
  8. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    "Brian C. Baird" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bs5rd.53055$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried this? Results?
    > > http://www.iprintfromhome.com/image_child.asp?id=65406&pid=66497
    > > http://www.iprintfromhome.com/
    > >
    > > The max res is 2732 x 4096 (11.2 Mpix)
    > >
    > > $2.49 for 1 slide; 1.25 per additional slide of same image.

    > Sounds interesting. At $2.50 a pop, doesn't sound like too much to try
    > them out, unless they have prohibitively high shipping costs or insane
    > minimum orders.
    >
    > Additionally, I don't know what the hell I'd do with them. I haven't
    > projected slides in... forever.

    Why...you'd scan them back into your computer, of course!
    :)

    Mark², Dec 1, 2004
  9. Alan Browne

    zeitgeist Guest

    > Has anyone tried this? Results?
    > http://www.iprintfromhome.com/image_child.asp?id=65406&pid=66497
    > http://www.iprintfromhome.com/
    >
    > The max res is 2732 x 4096 (11.2 Mpix)
    >
    > $2.49 for 1 slide; 1.25 per additional slide of same image.

    I used to have transproofs printed from my medium format negs. Since going
    to digital and since Kodak stopped making vericolor print film, I no longer
    have that. Digital projection is relatively low res, mine is XGA, which is
    step down from my monitor.

    But you can buy a Polaroid Pallet which is a very hi res image capture onto
    film, it was intended for their own instant slide film but its not hard to
    use anybody else's. you can get 4,000 x 2,500 (something like that) pixel
    images on 35mm film, slide or neg which is much sharper than digital
    projection. of course these things are SCSI or parallel cabled but that's
    not that hard.

    come to think of it, that's probably what these guys are doing.

    zeitgeist, Dec 1, 2004
  10. Alan Browne

    zeitgeist Guest

    zeitgeist, Dec 1, 2004
  11. Alan Browne

    Dave Guest

    zeitgeist wrote:
    of course these things are SCSI or parallel cabled but that's
    > not that hard.

    And SCSI is very good too. Parallel is quite slow in comparison to SCSI.

    SCSI controllers and other SCSI bits are not very cheap, but have stood
    the test of time very well indeed. Whereas other computers technologies
    have come and gone (old tape formats, zip drives, magneto optic drives,
    5.25" floppy drives, even to a certain extent 3.5" floppy drive), SCSI
    is still going very strong, and offers excellent backs compatibility.

    The latest generation of SCSI disks+controllers can move 320MB/s - yes
    320 Mega bytes/second peak. And SCSI is still being improved. Yet those
    same 320MB/s disks will fit in machines that have old controllers of 5
    MB/s. They just run at 5MB/s.

    SCSI disks made 20 odd years ago are still usable into todays top of the
    line computers. Of course, you might not feel a great need to use a 1GB
    SCSI disk in really new PC, but they are usable if you want to get data
    from them.

    Likewise I can fit SCSI disks of over 100 GB in my old Sun workstations,
    which were made over 20 years ago. In practice I do not, but have fitted
    36GB disks in machines of 20 years old. Works fine. Of course
    performance is limited by the old computer, but everything works.

    I can't predict the future, but I don't see USB staying around as long
    as SCSI will. Likewise with firewire.

    Soon I expect all these USB digital cameras will be practically
    unusable. That was *one* part of my decision to buy a Nikon F6. I
    suspect 35mm film will be around long after USB has disappeared.
    Although I have a digital camera (Fuji Finepix 6900), I am well aware of
    its limitations, and reckon it will have a short lifetime.

    Dave, Dec 1, 2004
  12. Alan Browne

    Skip M Guest

    > In article <bs5rd.53055$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Has anyone tried this? Results?
    >> http://www.iprintfromhome.com/image_child.asp?id=65406&pid=66497
    >> http://www.iprintfromhome.com/
    >>
    >> The max res is 2732 x 4096 (11.2 Mpix)
    >>
    >> $2.49 for 1 slide; 1.25 per additional slide of same image.

    > Sounds interesting. At $2.50 a pop, doesn't sound like too much to try
    > them out, unless they have prohibitively high shipping costs or insane
    > minimum orders.
    >
    > Additionally, I don't know what the hell I'd do with them. I haven't
    > projected slides in... forever.
    > --
    > http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    One of the oddities of the art world is that some shows require slides for
    entries, but won't take digital files. So, you have to take your digital
    file and convert it to a slide, so that you can send it in for them to
    (supposedly) pop into a projector and view at many times the size of the
    original, then send you an email of rejection...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Dec 1, 2004
  13. In article <3Sjrd.190815$hj.39872@fed1read07>,
    says...
    > One of the oddities of the art world is that some shows require slides for
    > entries, but won't take digital files. So, you have to take your digital
    > file and convert it to a slide, so that you can send it in for them to
    > (supposedly) pop into a projector and view at many times the size of the
    > original, then send you an email of rejection...

    Ah... Luddites!
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Dec 1, 2004
  14. Alan Browne

    Skip M Guest

    > In article <3Sjrd.190815$hj.39872@fed1read07>,
    > says...
    >> One of the oddities of the art world is that some shows require slides
    >> for
    >> entries, but won't take digital files. So, you have to take your digital
    >> file and convert it to a slide, so that you can send it in for them to
    >> (supposedly) pop into a projector and view at many times the size of the
    >> original, then send you an email of rejection...

    > Ah... Luddites!
    > --
    > http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Indeed!

    Skip M, Dec 2, 2004
  15. Alan Browne

    Tom Monego Guest

    Polaroid made crap film recorders until their last model when they finally came
    close to getting it right. Work from a Matrix, Agfa, Mangement Graphics or the
    top dog Celco makes Polaroid slides look like mush. Again their last 8000 line
    unit did work about as good as 4000 line units from other companies. If you are
    making slides from digital files ask what film recorder the lab is using if
    they say Polaroid go elsewhere, there is a world of difference.

    Tom

    In article <zp9rd.375239$a85.104940@fed1read04>,
    mjmorganlowestevennumberhere@cox..net says...

    Tom Monego, Dec 2, 2004
  16. Alan Browne

    Bandicoot Guest

    "McLeod" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:17:59 -0500, Alan Browne
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Has anyone tried this? Results?
    > >http://www.iprintfromhome.com/image_child.asp?id=65406&pid=66497
    > >http://www.iprintfromhome.com/
    > >
    > >The max res is 2732 x 4096 (11.2 Mpix)
    > >
    > >$2.49 for 1 slide; 1.25 per additional slide of same image.

    > Haven't tried this but have used an old (1997) Polaroid film recorder
    > with excellent results.

    One of those sold on *bay recently for - if I remember - $0.01 (plus
    shipping...)

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Dec 2, 2004
  17. Alan Browne

    Magnus W Guest

    Dave <> wrote in news:41ada9fe@212.67.96.135:

    > The latest generation of SCSI disks+controllers can move 320MB/s - yes
    > 320 Mega bytes/second peak. And SCSI is still being improved. Yet those
    > same 320MB/s disks will fit in machines that have old controllers of 5
    > MB/s. They just run at 5MB/s.

    For years, my public web/mail server was running a Quantum Empire SCSI
    drive on a -- Trantor T128 controller (8-bit ISA, SCSI-1). This wasn't /so/
    long ago, four to five years or so, well into the PCI age :) The drive
    crashed, unfortunately, and since then I have been running IDE, not because
    of any controller problem but rather because I at the time of panic rebuild
    didn't have a spare SCSI drive. It always gave me a kind of perverse
    satisfaction to know that I was using a 286-era disk controller with
    otherwise modern Pentium class equipment.

    Magnus W, Dec 2, 2004
  18. On 2 Dec 2004 00:11:05 GMT, (Tom
    Monego) wrote:

    >Polaroid made crap film recorders until their last model when they finally came
    >close to getting it right. Work from a Matrix, Agfa, Mangement Graphics or the

    do you know of any reasonably-cheap film recorder other than polaroid?
    i couldn't find any on the web --ok, i'm not that expert on this
    subject :)--.

    regards.
    --
    Gianni Rondinini
    Icem s.r.l. - http://www.icem.it

    Gianni Rondinini, Dec 2, 2004
  19. Alan Browne

    ryder Guest

  20. Alan Browne

    Will Guest

    I have a CI5000S and make consistently great slides ... if you'll do some
    Googling you'll find that the secret is in calibration and in software. I've
    always found the Polaroid/RasterPlus RIP software to be crap ($995 crap) -
    much prefer Zenographics SuperPrint (now out of business - latest release
    only goes to WinME/98 ... I have a laptop dedicated to that and am very
    ahppy).

    Will

    Will, Dec 29, 2004