    invest if they will not turn out ok.

    thanks
    Gord
    you suck, Aug 7, 2003

  2. you suck

    SgtMinor Guest

    you suck wrote:

    > anybody had any success scanning35 mm negatives or slides onto a comp.
    >
    > I have thousands of negs that I would like to convert but don't want to
    > invest if they will not turn out ok.
    >
    > thanks
    > Gord

    You'll want to use a special 35mm film scanner, not a flatbed with some
    sort of adapter. Here are some choices and user ratings:
    http://www.epinions.com/cmhd-Scanners-All-Film_Scanner_35_mm

    --
    "and with an addy like that, you even more."
    SgtMinor, Aug 7, 2003

  3. you suck

    philo Guest

    "you suck" <> wrote in message
    > anybody had any success scanning35 mm negatives or slides onto a comp.
    >
    > I have thousands of negs that I would like to convert but don't want to
    > invest if they will not turn out ok.

    there are negative scanners designed *specifically* for the purpose
    in the $300 - $600 range and you will get professional quality results.
    (btw: $300- $600 is considered inexpensive <g> )

    most flatbed scanners with "negative" adaptors will give rather
    poor results... but some of them will give at least "fair" resolution...
    i notice that canon has a few under $200
    philo, Aug 7, 2003
  4. you suck

    fkasner Guest

    you suck wrote:
    > anybody had any success scanning35 mm negatives or slides onto a comp.
    >
    > I have thousands of negs that I would like to convert but don't want to
    > invest if they will not turn out ok.
    >

    > thanks
    > Gord

    I bought a scanner that has the hardware to handle slides and 35 mm
    negatives. I had very few B&W slides and haven't gotten around to
    scanning them into the puter. However it has worked well for the
    Kodachrome slides (several thousand) that I have been processing to
    leave to my progeny. Some of the older slides have already started to fade.
    FK
    fkasner, Aug 8, 2003
  5. you suck

    MrB Guest

    I have an HP 5470c. It uses a slide adapter. The results are quite
    acceptable, but it is very time consuming.

    MrB, Aug 8, 2003
  6. you suck

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:02:15 -0400, In this world we created "you suck"
    <> wrote :

    >anybody had any success scanning35 mm negatives or slides onto a comp.
    >
    >I have thousands of negs that I would like to convert but don't want to
    >invest if they will not turn out ok.
    >

    >thanks
    >Gord

    Good Epson scanners with their add-on box for negs do a great job of
    this.
    They cost a little more than some other scanners and you may need some
    patches from their site for the supplied software(free) but they are
    superb.Just been doing some very old negs with a mate and they have
    turned out great.Also once loaded into the PC can be cleaned up and
    manipulated back to a very high standard with the software.
    Go for it :O)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,
    Shep©, Aug 8, 2003
  7. you suck Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <bguig9$ped$>:

    > anybody had any success scanning35 mm negatives or slides onto a
    > comp.
    >
    > I have thousands of negs that I would like to convert but don't want
    > to invest if they will not turn out ok.

    Gord, Epson makes a scanner that has what they call a 'transparency
    adaptor' that attaches to the top. This is, in English, a light box
    allowing the negatives to scan properly. I have also seen Umax's do
    the same thing...

    HTH

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Aug 8, 2003
  8. you suck

    fkasner Guest

    MrB wrote:

    > I have an HP 5470c. It uses a slide adapter. The results are quite
    > acceptable, but it is very time consuming.
    >
    > "you suck" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>anybody had any success scanning35 mm negatives or slides onto a comp.
    >>
    >>I have thousands of negs that I would like to convert but don't want to
    >>invest if they will not turn out ok.
    >>

    >>thanks
    >>Gord

    You sure it isn't a 4570C? That is what I have.
    FK
    fkasner, Aug 8, 2003
  9. you suck

    you suck Guest

    thank you all for your responses. I will be checking these out tomorrow.

    gord

    you suck, Aug 8, 2003
  10. you suck

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    I have a UMAX scanner that provides excellent results scanning slides. It
    will scan 35mm,
    6x4.5mm, 6x6mm and 4x5. The model is a 3450. It is over a year old, so check
    out their
    web site and do some shopping. It is a flatbed with a lighted cover. You may
    not have a
    copy of Photo Shop, however it's a good investment. I then bring the scanned
    file into
    Photoshop and make a few adjustments and save the file.
    One of my scanned photos became "Photo of the day twice" on
    www.photoimagination.com
    Look under landscapes. It is a 4x5 shot of Yosemite Valley titled Yosemite
    Valley,1984.

    Also recommend you visit the site on a regular basis. Numerous shots are
    absolutely
    awesome.

    I am not into professional photography any longer. Just no time. Maybe when
    I retire
    from the IT business I will get back into it again.

    Good Luck shopping!
    DC

    Computer Guy, Aug 8, 2003