35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
    the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at
    http://www.exc.com/Photography . The good news is (1) it is back
    on-line:

    http://www.exc.com/Photography

    or more directly:

    http://www.exc.com/Phorography/Lenses.cgi

    and (2) it will soon include a digital camera database.

    The bad news is that the old lens database was wiped out. User reports
    about lenses are often much more valuable than published specs. So if
    you have time to enter information about lenses you own, now's the
    time!

    Thanks.

    -Joel
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Des Perado Guest

    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message
    > We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
    > the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

    It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
    I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.
    Des Perado, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Angela Guest

    "Des Perado" <> wrote in message

    > "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message
    > > We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
    > > the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

    > It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
    > I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.

    Only 2 lenses on the whole database - and the output doesn't exactly tell
    you a great deal!!
    Angela, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    BobS Guest

    Joel,

    Have you tried the site http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.exc.com and
    see if the files still exist there? If so, you can download them and put
    them back on the site - or whoever.

    Bob S.

    BobS, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Fi Nishing Guest

    "BobS" <> wrote in message
    > Joel,
    >
    > Have you tried the site http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.exc.com

    and
    > see if the files still exist there? If so, you can download them and put
    > them back on the site - or whoever.

    Don't you think the idiot spamming his pathetic site should ensure it's
    worth viewing before spamming it to the whole world?
    Fi Nishing, Nov 10, 2004
  7. "Des Perado" <> writes:

    > "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message
    >> We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
    >> the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

    > It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
    > I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.

    Well, he said all the old data was lost, in whatever event caused the
    site to be offline for a while. I'm not familiar with the old site,
    so I don't know how much data that was.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Skip M Guest

    "Des Perado" <> wrote in message

    > "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message
    >> We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
    >> the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

    > It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
    > I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.

    Actually, Canon doesn't make a 100-300 IS, they make a 75-300 IS and a
    100-400L IS. The 100-300 isn't IS.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Nov 11, 2004
  9. >> We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
    >> the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

    >It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
    >I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.

    Well then add more lenses. It *used to be* very complete. If people
    help, it will be again.
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 11, 2004
  10. >Have you tried the site http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.exc.com and
    >see if the files still exist there? If so, you can download them and put
    >them back on the site - or whoever.

    I didn't know about archive.org, but what a good idea. Alas, I can't
    get the actual database back, just the search page. (And even worse,
    the archived pages show how much was lost - user data on literally
    hundreds of lenses - I didn't remember it being that extensive.)

    But thanks.

    -Joel
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 11, 2004
  11. 35mm Lens Database partially restored [Re: 35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)]

    More good news about the 35mm-lens database
    (http://www.exc.com/Photography ): Some of the old reports have been
    restored. While I don't have the database from the old server, I do
    have an old backup from before the old server, when I used to house
    the server myself. And I've put those reports back on-line. Once
    again, I'll be grateful (along with thousands of other users of the
    database) if you can take a moment or two to help repopulate this
    database.

    -Joel
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 11, 2004
  12. >Well, he said all the old data was lost, in whatever event caused the
    >site to be offline for a while. I'm not familiar with the old site,
    >so I don't know how much data that was.

    Someone gave me a pointer to a web-site archive site, and I went back
    to try to get the old database. I couldn't actually get the database,
    but from the search froms, there were hundreds of lenses in there.

    At any rate, as I just wrote, I managed to get part of the old
    database back, from an old personal backup. I hope people will once
    again help contribute to the database.

    -Joel
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 11, 2004