    hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm colour
    and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the computer thanks

    just looking, Nov 29, 2004

  2. just looking

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "just looking" <belfast2 > wrote in message
    | hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    | im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm
    colour
    | and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the computer thanks

    Yup. Well, sort of. First, you need a scanner that is backlit and holds film
    and/or slides. My Epson Perfection 1660 Photo does that via an adapter and a
    light in the lid. Then, the scanner software can convert the negative to
    positive. But (and this is why I said (sort of") it won't convert B&W to
    color <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2004

  3. just looking wrote:

    > hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    > im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm colour
    > and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the computer thanks

    Sure, it can be done. What you need is a film scanner. I wouldn't go for
    one of the expensive ones, one like the Nikon 35mm scanner will do okay
    for amateur work. It comes with software that will help. Adobe Photoshop
    has a lot to offer.

    http://search.ebay.com/nikon-film-scanner_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

    The flatbed scanners that offer film scanning attachments suck so bad
    that you would quickly get frustrated at how bad they are. Those that
    don't offer film scanning capabilities cannot get a scan of film at all
    because the light must go through the film, not just shine on the bottom
    of it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2004
  4. just looking wrote:
    > hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    > im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm
    > colour and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the
    > computer thanks

    And do you have a scanner capable of scanning negatives? It's not a software
    thing, it's hardware. If your scanner isn't capable of scanning negatives
    (and very few are) then no software in the world is going to help you. You
    can't just stick a negative on the bed of a scanner and scan it. You'd ruin
    the negative for a start. I have a scanner (Perfection 4870) which is
    capable of scanning negatives (and it's about the only flatbed in existence
    that is - at least the only one I know of). It's £350, but it's worth every
    penny. Otherwise you're looking at a dedicated film scanner, and they start
    at around £500.

    You cannot scan negatives without a scanner capable of scanning film. If
    yours isn't, there isn't a download in the world that would enable it to do
    so. My scanner came with a bundled application that's capable of turning a
    negative into a positive. As it's obvious yours didn't (or you wouldn't be
    asking the question) then your scanner isn't capable of scanning film.

    Answer: Buy a film capable scanner.

    on salads.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Nov 29, 2004
  5. just looking

    Ed Pulliam Guest

    On November 29 2004, "just looking" <belfast2 >
    wrote:
    > hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    > im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm
    > colour and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the
    > computer thanks>

    If you have a scanner, with a film scanner attachment, you should have
    the OEM software to do this.

    You have to have both hardware and software to do what you want to do.

    --
    - Ed Pulliam
    - Using OUI 1.9.2 Pro from http://www.ouisoft.com

    Ed Pulliam, Nov 29, 2004
  6. just looking

    Old Gringo Guest

    just looking wrote:
    > hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    > im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm colour
    > and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the computer thanks

    Here is a starter for you:
    http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/scanner/coolscan_4/

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Nov 29, 2004
  7. just looking

    O Guest

    O, Nov 29, 2004
  8. just looking

    Bryan Guest

    Bryan, Nov 29, 2004
  9. just looking

    Gary Guest

    just looking wrote:

    > hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    > im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm colour
    > and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the computer thanks

    Let me get this straight now. You want to get some software that will
    permit you to digitize photos without the benefit of a scanner?

    Try holding the picture up to the monitor and press the 'Print Screen' key.

    Gary, Nov 30, 2004
  10. just looking

    Old Gringo Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > just looking wrote:
    >
    >> hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    >> im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm
    >> colour
    >> and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the computer
    >> thanks
    >>

    > Let me get this straight now. You want to get some software that will
    > permit you to digitize photos without the benefit of a scanner?
    >
    > Try holding the picture up to the monitor and press the 'Print Screen' key.

    ROFLMAO *Beautiful* :)

    Old Gringo, Nov 30, 2004
  11. Gary wrote:
    > just looking wrote:
    >
    >> hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    >> im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm
    >> colour and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the
    >> computer thanks

    > Let me get this straight now. You want to get some software that will
    > permit you to digitize photos without the benefit of a scanner?
    >
    > Try holding the picture up to the monitor and press the 'Print
    > Screen' key.

    Reminds me of the (probably urban legend) bloke who wanted to use his PC to
    send a fax, so he was holding the document up to the monitor and hitting the
    enter key!
    on salads.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Nov 30, 2004
  12. just looking

    spamspitter Guest

    Easiest way is to project the slides onto a screen and photograph them
    with a digital camera. You know the rest......

    spamspitter, Nov 30, 2004
  13. just looking

    Duck ducking Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:27:05 -0600, Gary <> wrote:

    >just looking wrote:
    >
    >> hi im not sure if this can be done ???????
    >> im looking for a free download that will let me scan all my old 35mm colour
    >> and black & white film and produce a colour picture on the computer thanks
    >>

    >Let me get this straight now. You want to get some software that will
    >permit you to digitize photos without the benefit of a scanner?
    >
    >Try holding the picture up to the monitor and press the 'Print Screen' key.

    Talking of this, I have found the best way is to use the optical mouse
    , place scan item on mouse pad, press print key twice then scroll
    mouse quickly over scan item until all has been completely optical
    scanned, then press print.
    Have a nice day now.

    Duck ducking, Dec 1, 2004