    film scanner out there which can scan a whole roll? What I like the
    most is that the dynamic range is 4.8 and everyone else seems to be 4.2
    or less.

    Nony Buz, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Nony Buz

    Don Guest

    You might want to ask these questions in comp.periphs.scanners. There's a
    lot of discussion of them there. Thant being said, the main difference
    between 4.2 and 4.8 is specsmanship, I believe. I think they've simply
    calculated that from a 16-bit word size. I don't think that in fact you
    would recover any information from a density of 4.8 (if any was there to
    start with), or if you could find a film that could actually achieve a
    density of 4.8 with reasonable linearity. The main reason for a 16-bit A/D
    conversion, which most good film scanners have, is not to reach a density
    of 4.8, but to give reasonable density step sizes at densities around 4.0 or
    so.

    Don

    Don, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Nony Buz

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    THe specs don't tell you what you will have to deal with when it needs
    repairs. Nikon USA's service department is ignorant and arrogant - a bad
    combination.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Nony Buz

    Alan Browne Guest

    Nony Buz wrote:

    > After looking at the spec's, it looks like the new Nikon Coolscan 5000
    > ED is the best scanner on the market. Is this true or is there a better
    > film scanner out there which can scan a whole roll? What I like the
    > most is that the dynamic range is 4.8 and everyone else seems to be 4.2
    > or less.

    The Dmax of a scanner is approx. log10 (2^(n-1.5)) where n=bits per
    channel. The 1.5 is just discarding noise. So 16 bits comes to about
    4.37 for Dmax.

    The Minolta DSE 5400 outspecs the 5000 by a bit in resolution. The
    holders only take 4 slides or up to 6 negs in a strip, however.

    As another poster states, comp.periphs.scanners is the 'expert zone' for
    such devices.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Apr 13, 2004