3550 -- SMI vs. EMI

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rick Kunkel, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Rick Kunkel

    Rick Kunkel Guest

    Heya folks,

    Is the EMI command-set an extension of the SMI one? For instance, if
    I have a config written with the SMI OS, does all that stuff have to
    get change, or does the EMI OS still support all the same simple
    switch interfaces without problems?

    Also, anyone have any idea how much the (ROUGHLY) EMI software costs?
    Just a really rough estimate is good. I could probably hunt down a
    part number and call a salesperson for something exact, but I'm
    looking ballpark.

    (Incidentally, anyone know if Cisco honestly monitors all the EMI
    downloads to make sure they're not put on switches bought as SMI?
    Seems like that would be a SERIOUS headache for them...)

    Thanks,

    Rick Kunkel

    Rick Kunkel, Jul 15, 2003

  2. >Is the EMI command-set an extension of the SMI one? For instance, if
    >I have a config written with the SMI OS, does all that stuff have to
    >get change, or does the EMI OS still support all the same simple
    >switch interfaces without problems?

    EMI should support all SMI commands.

    >Also, anyone have any idea how much the (ROUGHLY) EMI software costs?
    >Just a really rough estimate is good. I could probably hunt down a
    >part number and call a salesperson for something exact, but I'm
    >looking ballpark.

    $1200 or so for an SMI -> EMI upgrade, if I recall correctly.

    >(Incidentally, anyone know if Cisco honestly monitors all the EMI
    >downloads to make sure they're not put on switches bought as SMI?
    >Seems like that would be a SERIOUS headache for them...)

    Cisco has no way of knowing what switch you're going to put a
    downloaded image onto. But hopefully you were just asking out of
    curiousity.

    Terry Baranski, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Rick Kunkel

    Rick Kunkel Guest

    >>(Incidentally, anyone know if Cisco honestly monitors all the EMI
    >>downloads to make sure they're not put on switches bought as SMI?
    >>Seems like that would be a SERIOUS headache for them...)

    >Cisco has no way of knowing what switch you're going to put a
    >downloaded image onto. But hopefully you were just asking out of
    >curiousity.

    I can do the routing between VLANs on my router, so I don't really
    need it. I really just was curious, because the warning in the
    software center for the SMI to EMI upgrade had a harsh warning that
    I'd never seen on any of the other Cisco OS download pages. It
    sounded far-fetched that they'd actually try to track down switch
    purchases made by our organization, but the tone of the warning had an
    undeniable strictness to it, so I'd thought...you know...MAYBE...

    Thanks,

    Rick Kunkel

    Rick Kunkel, Jul 16, 2003