3550 - SMI Rate Limiting

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Peter Cafs, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Peter Cafs

    Peter Cafs Guest

    Hi All,

    I am trying without success to get rate limiting working on a 3550-48-SMI.

    I have scoured Cisco's site and the web, news groups, but everything I have
    tried has no impact on the bandwidth
    at all.

    I have two hosts connected to the same switch and I am transferring files
    between them to test.
    I set up a class-map to match any traffic, and then i use this in a
    policy-map with an individual policer to police
    the bandwidth to a low level, but I just get normal wire speed. I've tried
    changing the class map to match-any/match all etc with no luck. I also tried
    class to match on a vlan which wouldn't work either.

    Here's lines from my config, this is all i have changed from the default
    config :

    mls qos
    !
    class-map match-any anymap (I tried match-any/match all here)
    match any
    !
    !
    policy-map 64klimit (just as a test i want
    64kilobits, no bursting)
    class anymap
    police 64000 8000 exceed-action drop
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    switchport mode dynamic desirable
    service-policy input 64klimit
    service-policy output 64klimit
    !

    When I show mls cos interface policers, the policy's policers are shown as
    applying to the interface,
    the statistics however do not show anything as being matched or classified
    from what I can see.

    show mls qos interface policers :
    FastEthernet0/1
    policymap=64klimit
    type=Single, id=0 rate=64000, qlimit=8000, drop=1
    policymap=64klimit
    type=Single, id=0 rate=64000, qlimit=8000, drop=1

    show mls qos interface fastethernet0/1 statistics:
    FastEthernet0/1
    Ingress
    dscp: incoming no_change classified policed dropped (in bytes)
    Others: 7828450 7828450 0 0 0
    Egress
    dscp: incoming no_change classified policed dropped (in bytes)
    Others: 271000301 n/a n/a 0 0

    I strongly suspect I'm missing something simple here, could it be because my
    switch is SMI I need to use some other method of matching (i tried playing
    with match input-interface and match vlan) any assistance would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Peter Cafs, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Peter Cafs

    Steinar Haug Guest

    ["Peter Cafs"]

    | I am trying without success to get rate limiting working on a 3550-48-SMI.
    | Here's lines from my config, this is all i have changed from the default
    | config :
    |
    | mls qos
    | !
    | class-map match-any anymap (I tried match-any/match all here)
    | match any

    I've been unable to get "match any" to work also. I *have* been able
    to get "match ip dscp 0" to work, and also matching against an IP ACL
    with "permit any" has worked.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,
    Steinar Haug, Feb 26, 2004