    Any body had an issue like this before? Am I missing something easy?
    I can't need a converter as they are both 1000 base-T..right?

    Any help here is appreciated!

    william, Mar 5, 2006

  2. william

    william Guest

    And I have rebooted both switches as well....

    william, Mar 5, 2006

  3. william

    J Guest

    Not to ask the obvious but it never hurts. You are using a cross-over,
    aren't you?

    J, Mar 5, 2006
  4. "J" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Not to ask the obvious but it never hurts. You are using a cross-over,
    > aren't you?

    It should not be necessary to use a cross over cable. Both the 3550 and the
    3560 has MDIX auto recognition. But both sides must be set to auto on both
    speed and duplex?

    --

    Best regards

    Martin Kiefer

    www.kiefer.dk

    Martin Kiefer, Mar 5, 2006
  5. william

    Merv Guest

    But might be a wothwhile from a troulbeshooting perspective ....

    Merv, Mar 5, 2006
  6. william

    Merv Guest

    For both switches, post the output of

    1. show version

    2. show interface <> ! for back-to-back switch connection interface

    3. show run interface <>

    4. show controllers ethernet-controller <interface-id> phy

    Merv, Mar 5, 2006
  7. william

    Guest

    > I can't believe it, no link light... The ios on both switches recognize
    > the hardware. (3550 has a ws-5483 (1000base-t) plugged into a 3560 sfp
    > port using a 1000BaseTX SFP (GLC-T) via a cat5e cable.)

    > Various posts regarding crossover or not.

    This is GBIC to an SFP module. Do they do MDIX?

    If one of them does MDIX then you will be OK with a straight thru
    but I would _guess_ that you need a crossover cable. Recall that
    1000Tx needs all 4 pairs.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12119ea1/ol463001.htm
    Auto-MDIX is not supported on SFP module interfaces
    (Yes it's a different switch model, if you want better do your own
    research:)

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...stallation_guide_chapter09186a00801897fe.html
    The GBIC supports automatic medium-dependent interface
    crossover (Auto-MDIX). The GBIC automatically detects the
    required cable connection type (straight through or crossover)
    and configures the connection appropriately.

    Oh well, guessed wrong. Make sure "mdix auto" is not disabled.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12119ea1/3750scg/swint.htm#1193977
    "Auto-MDIX is disabled by default. When you enable Auto-MDIX,
    you must also set the speed and duplex on the interface to
    auto in order for the feature to operate correctly. Auto-MDIX
    is supported on all 10/100 and 10/100/1000 Mbps interfaces
    and on 10/100/1000 BASE-T/TX SFP interfaces."

    , Mar 5, 2006
  8. william

    Guest

    > I can't believe it, no link light... The ios on both switches recognize
    > the hardware. (3550 has a ws-5483 (1000base-t) plugged into a 3560 sfp
    > port using a 1000BaseTX SFP (GLC-T) via a cat5e cable.)

    > Various posts regarding crossover or not.

    This is GBIC to an SFP module. Do they do MDIX?

    If one of them does MDIX then you will be OK with a straight thru
    but I would _guess_ that you need a crossover cable. Recall that
    1000Tx needs all 4 pairs.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12119ea1/ol463001.htm
    Auto-MDIX is not supported on SFP module interfaces
    (Yes it's a different switch model, if you want better do your own
    research:)

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...stallation_guide_chapter09186a00801897fe.html
    The GBIC supports automatic medium-dependent interface
    crossover (Auto-MDIX). The GBIC automatically detects the
    required cable connection type (straight through or crossover)
    and configures the connection appropriately.

    Oh well, guessed wrong. Make sure "mdix auto" is not disabled.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12119ea1/3750scg/swint.htm#1193977
    "Auto-MDIX is disabled by default. When you enable Auto-MDIX,
    you must also set the speed and duplex on the interface to
    auto in order for the feature to operate correctly. Auto-MDIX
    is supported on all 10/100 and 10/100/1000 Mbps interfaces
    and on 10/100/1000 BASE-T/TX SFP interfaces."

    , Mar 5, 2006
  9. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >This is GBIC to an SFP module. Do they do MDIX?

    >If one of them does MDIX then you will be OK with a straight thru
    >but I would _guess_ that you need a crossover cable. Recall that
    >1000Tx needs all 4 pairs.

    The gigabit standards *require* auto-mdix, at least for 1000BaseTX.
    It's one of the improvements of gigabit: that you never need
    a cross-over.

    Walter Roberson, Mar 5, 2006
  10. william

    Merv Guest

    Be aware of "The Auto-MDIX feature is enabled by default on switches
    running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(18)SE or later. For releases between
    Cisco IOS Release 12.1(14)EA1 and 12.2(18)SE, the Auto-MDIX feature is
    disabled by default."

    Merv, Mar 5, 2006
  11. william

    Merv Guest

    The GLC-T is supposed to support 1/0100/1000.

    Will it connect to 1 Fast Ethernet port on the opposite switch?

    Merv, Mar 6, 2006
  12. william

    william Guest

    tried bioth it is AUTO MDIX which means you can not screw that up.

    william, Mar 6, 2006
  13. william

    william Guest

    I tried manually setting them and left both on AUTO, AUTO as well....
    Good idea.

    william, Mar 6, 2006
  14. william

    william Guest

    MDIX is auto on the SFP side for sure which is all that you need. I
    have solved the issue and its really interesting..

    EVEN though the software recognized the hardware, the GBIC on the 3550
    side.
    EVEN thought the software would let me force the GBIC in question to
    certain settings..
    EVEN though I plugged and unplugged serveral times.
    EVEN though it "Clicked" each time I plugged it in to the 3550.
    :
    there was an issue with LAYER1. even though all of the things below
    led me to believe that it was physically connected properly, the GBIC
    snapped in place and was recognized and everything, it had about 1cm
    total side to side movement and when I pushed fairly hard to one side
    the light came up and it was humming!

    So I have to implement this same thing; GBIC in 3 other 3550's
    switches this week and I will let all people know if it is a design
    flaw in the Module or not. (Becaise the the previous Fiber GBIC) was a
    tight fit.

    Thanks for everyoneds help! Have a great week!

    william, Mar 6, 2006
  15. william

    william Guest

    It was enabled by default on the 3560 SFP modules.

    william, Mar 6, 2006
  16. william

    william Guest

    I did not try that although it would have been a great option if I had
    not got it working.

    william, Mar 6, 2006
  17. william

    Merv Guest

    Did you buy the GBIC from Cisco ?

    Who is the actuial manufacturer ?

    Merv, Mar 6, 2006
  18. william

    william Guest

    william, Mar 7, 2006
  19. william

    Merv Guest

    Do you have a Cisco Smartnet support contract ?

    If so I would open a Cisco TAC case and report the difficulty you have
    encountered that GBIC.

    Merv, Mar 7, 2006
  20. william

    2bsmith

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I hope I understand your situation correctly. 1000Base-T and 1000Base-TX are not compatible. 1000Base-TX uses 2 pair on CAT-6 and 1000Base-T uses 4 pair on CAT-5 or better. I had retailer sell me 1000BaseTX instead of the 1000Base-T that I ordered and they are not compatible with my switch. The link below explains it. Scroll to the 1000Base-TX section.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet

    2bsmith, Mar 6, 2007