3550 Flash Files

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bob, Apr 17, 2009.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I just got a used 3550 and see a number of files in flash:

    Directory of flash:/

    2 -rwx 322 Mar 1 1993 00:02:24 +00:00 system_env_vars
    3 -rwx 3721 Mar 1 1993 00:06:22 +00:00 config.text
    4 -rwx 187 Mar 12 1993 02:38:15 +00:00 layout.text
    5 drwx 0 Mar 1 1993 02:10:37 +00:00 lost+found
    6 -rwx 121 Mar 12 1993 00:29:11 +00:00 layoutOption.txt
    8 -rwx 0 Mar 1 1993 00:02:24 +00:00 env_vars
    7 -rwx 24 Mar 1 1993 00:06:22 +00:00
    private-config.text
    24 -rwx 7134015 Mar 1 1993 00:15:51 +00:00
    c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE2.bin

    What are layout.text and layoutOption.txt?
    3550#more layout.text
    CISCOKID001;__network_root_node__,-1000,-1000,true;0009.b7e1.3100,59,18,false;ecs44h2,-1000,-1000,true;0009.b7e1.f800,379,27,false;0009.e811.7400,223,25,false;0009.b79c.9f80,221,216,false

    3550#more layoutOption.txt
    IPPhone:true,HName:true,LinkSpeed:true,IPAddr:true,AP:true,CPE:true,Candidate:true,IName:true,Neighbor:true,MACAddr:false

    Why are there two entries with zero bytes: the lost+found directory
    and env_vars?

    What is private-config.text and why can I not display the contents?
    3550#more private-config.text
    %Error opening flash:/private-config.text (Permission denied)
    Bob, Apr 17, 2009

  2. Bob <> writes:
    >What are layout.text and layoutOption.txt?

    IIRC, something from the web based switch manager that must have been
    deleted off your flash at a later time. The old one was pretty bad.
    The newer one is passable, but I think thats only available in
    switches newer than that model.

    >Why are there two entries with zero bytes: the lost+found directory
    >and env_vars?

    In Unix (which clearly has influenced IOS in many ways), lost+found
    is the directory on the file system where recovered/damaged &
    recovered files are placed after a fsck. Probably never used on
    Cisco.

    env_vars hold variables between reboots. I believe the function of
    this has changed over the years, and is no longer needed, but is still there.

    >What is private-config.text and why can I not display the contents?
    >3550#more private-config.text
    >%Error opening flash:/private-config.text (Permission denied)

    Private data to the switch that Cisco doesn't want you to see.
    I suspect there could be some licensing there for some models..
    Doug McIntyre, Apr 17, 2009

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On 17 Apr 2009 18:52:11 GMT, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:

    >Bob <> writes:
    >>What are layout.text and layoutOption.txt?

    >IIRC, something from the web based switch manager that must have been
    >deleted off your flash at a later time. The old one was pretty bad.
    >The newer one is passable, but I think thats only available in
    >switches newer than that model.
    >
    >>Why are there two entries with zero bytes: the lost+found directory
    >>and env_vars?

    >In Unix (which clearly has influenced IOS in many ways), lost+found
    >is the directory on the file system where recovered/damaged &
    >recovered files are placed after a fsck. Probably never used on
    >Cisco.
    >
    >env_vars hold variables between reboots. I believe the function of
    >this has changed over the years, and is no longer needed, but is still there.
    >
    >>What is private-config.text and why can I not display the contents?
    >>3550#more private-config.text
    >>%Error opening flash:/private-config.text (Permission denied)

    >Private data to the switch that Cisco doesn't want you to see.
    >I suspect there could be some licensing there for some models..

    I don't care about browser-based management so I'd like to delete the
    layout files. Can you think of any reason not to erase them and the
    zero byte file and directory as well?

    Or to put it another way, does the switch need anything besides an
    image file (and maybe system_env_vars) to run?
    Bob, Apr 20, 2009
  4. Bob <> writes:
    >I don't care about browser-based management so I'd like to delete the
    >layout files. Can you think of any reason not to erase them and the
    >zero byte file and directory as well?

    I would think the layout files are totally fine to wipe.

    I wouldn't try to remove the other files that are always there.
    There could be some boot code detection looking for those, even if
    they aren't used.

    >Or to put it another way, does the switch need anything besides an
    >image file (and maybe system_env_vars) to run?

    Err, why? Its not like there's alot of stuff happening there anyway.
    Doug McIntyre, Apr 20, 2009