    --
    Bob Simon
    remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

    Bob Simon, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Bob Simon

    PJML Guest

    Bob Simon wrote:

    > I upgraded a 2924 to a 3550 and am having trouble configuring my
    > VLANs. I have two VLANs and port 24 should be a member of both
    > because it's the Internet feed. On the old 2924, I did this with the
    > following statements:
    > switchport multi vlan 1,2
    > switchport mode multi
    >
    > How do I accomplish this with the 3550?

    I think you'll find that "switchport multi" isn't
    supported on the more-modern hardware such as the
    3550-series.

    Does whatever is connected to port 24 have
    support for 802.1Q? If so (like it's a reasonably
    modern Cisco router), you should configure multiple
    subinterfaces on the thing connected to port-24,
    and then set port-24 to be a trunk port.

    PJML, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Bob Simon

    Bob Simon Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:14:34 +0100, PJML <>
    wrote:

    >Bob Simon wrote:
    >
    >> I upgraded a 2924 to a 3550 and am having trouble configuring my
    >> VLANs. I have two VLANs and port 24 should be a member of both
    >> because it's the Internet feed. On the old 2924, I did this with the
    >> following statements:
    >> switchport multi vlan 1,2
    >> switchport mode multi
    >>
    >> How do I accomplish this with the 3550?

    >I think you'll find that "switchport multi" isn't
    >supported on the more-modern hardware such as the
    >3550-series.
    >
    >Does whatever is connected to port 24 have
    >support for 802.1Q? If so (like it's a reasonably
    >modern Cisco router), you should configure multiple
    >subinterfaces on the thing connected to port-24,
    >and then set port-24 to be a trunk port.

    It's a 3640 running 12.2 so I don't doubt that it supports dot 1 q.

    Thanks for the tip. I think I can handle this now with your
    direction.

    Bob Simon, Oct 18, 2004
  4. switchport multi isn't supported anymore.
    Either use a dot1q trunk to transport the vlans to the internet router
    (which needs IOS Plus feature pack to do this) or create a VLAN3 on the
    switch, solely for the purpose of connecting the switch to the internet
    router:
    - Assign interface VLAN1 the address of the internet router's vlan1,
    - Assign interface VLAN2 the address of the internet router's vlan2 and
    - Assign vlan3 on the switch a new ip address (a new range /30 will do) and
    assign ethernet port on router with the other address from vlan 3.
    - Setup routing on the switch and add a default gateway on the switch to the
    internet router.
    - Add two routes to the router, one for each vlan off the switch (excl
    vlan3) using the switch's address of vlan3 as next hop.
    - Happy surfing.....

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Oct 22, 2004